2013 VW Golf R ESC Off Light After ESC Long Coding

mailman2013

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=367272
Hello everyone,

I recently followed the instructions on APR's website to fully defeat the traction control for my 2013 Mk6 Golf R. https://www.goapr.com/support/esp-defeat.html. Everything worked fine, the code was accepted, and a long push of the traction control button turns off both ASR and ESC. However, when driving around, there is an "ESC OFF" light that flashes every 10-15 seconds on the MFI screen (see image, let me know if it doesn't work). The purpose of fully defeating the ESC is for tracking the car, so I am not really planning on turning it off on the street. However, it is annoying and something I don't want while on track; I will get distracted by it, or I will think it is the car either telling me traction control is still intervening or that it is a light for some other problem that needs my attention.

My question, is there a way to code this "ESC OFF" light out/make it from disappear? As a less-preferred option, if I could make it stop blinking or make it appear on a screen that I wouldn't be staring at, I could accept that as a solution too. The code before and after is below, but please let me know if you think you need more information. I would have thought I would have seen this as part of the instructional videos/forums on this, so I either didn't get something right, or people just live with it.

Code:
# This is the coding for the "03 - ABS Brakes" Module before making update to fully disable ESC.
144BE00C49260002281207ED92220041B70000

# New long coding that should be in there as of 3 October 2019
144BE00C49268002281207ED92220141B70000

mbIthpqm.jpg

Last edited:

mailman2013

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=367272
As an additional thought, if I did a scan of the car before turning the ESC fully off, and then ran another after turning ESC off, is there a way to do a comparison between the files and maybe see where a difference might be in them?

ZNormT6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319128
That's just how it is. Completely normal operation of the MFD when ESC is entirely disabled. No way to change it to my knowledge.

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
Can confirm ZNormT6‘s statement.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
hmm...... perhaps the oft-used low-tech solution might be worth considering given the consistent advice above that further coding won't help.

Without any intention of being a smart-arse, perhaps a small piece of masking tape, strategically positioned on the upper-center of the MFD -

.........and if you are a "tracker" with a sense of humor - perhaps a small message written on said masking tape might add an additional incentive; "don't look here"!! (yes, my apology for the last bit - I couldn't help myself ;))

Don

mailman2013

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=367272
Can confirm ZNormT6‘s statement.

Thanks for posting, could either of you elaborate on if/what you have tried? Talking with APR, they said they never figured it out, but the customer support rep also couldn't go into detail of what they did, so its hard to tell how much time was spent. When you are in the 03 Module, I can see in Group 003 the lights for the ASR and ABS, and I can see the button for ESC in Group 007. Additionally, the long coding helper in the 03 Module says that there isn't much knowledge about it, so there seems to be room for exploration (and a lack of documentation of what people have tried). To me, it should either be in the module that coded the change in the first place, or whatever controls the MFI display. I'll accept if it can't, but I at least want to know what people tried.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I am genuinely interested. I just started with this VCDS stuff and its pretty interesting to me. I want to learn a lot more about how all this works, and this is the first challenge I've come across, so its the most intriguing to me right now.

Last edited:

mailman2013

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=367272
hmm...... perhaps the oft-used low-tech solution might be worth considering given the consistent advice above that further coding won't help.

Without any intention of being a smart-arse, perhaps a small piece of masking tape, strategically positioned on the upper-center of the MFD -

.........and if you are a "tracker" with a sense of humor - perhaps a small message written on said masking tape might add an additional incentive; "don't look here"!! (yes, my apology for the last bit - I couldn't help myself ;))

Don

Not false and a potential solution. My only thing against it is if that section of the screen were also to be the location for another warning light that I do need to be aware of...:thumbs:

ZNormT6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319128
Yes, that's also where the low oil pressure light is. So you definitely don't want to cover it up.

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
Thanks for posting, could either of you elaborate on if/what you have tried?

I tried various bit combinations in the ESP controller to prevent the message from appearing. Changing things in the instrument cluster coding and adaption didn't change anything, too.
My guess is, that since it is the ESP - a crucial part of the cars driving security system - there isn't a way to actually remove the warning. The same way you can't disable the ESP warning light inside the rev counter.

Reactions: Uwe

mailman2013

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=367272
I tried various bit combinations in the ESP controller to prevent the message from appearing. Changing things in the instrument cluster coding and adaption didn't change anything, too.
My guess is, that since it is the ESP - a crucial part of the cars driving security system - there isn't a way to actually remove the warning. The same way you can't disable the ESP warning light inside the rev counter.

Thanks for the response! That's where I was in too...I was trying to find a specific section for the MFI screen (since that is where the warning appears) but couldn't seem to find the right group/byte that specifically mentioned that. What you are saying makes sense though, I understand VCDS can't code everything, some things are just out of range or are otherwise inaccessible/unchangeable. Not saying that I won't keep looking/trying, but hopefully this thread can at least help any one else out who tried it but was surprised to see the light since I couldn't find it mentioned elsewhere.

VagImports

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=377350
Yes, that's also where the low oil pressure light is. So you definitely don't want to cover it up.

I´m sure the low oil pressure light is accompanied by a loud ´beep´.
It´s not the best solution but it´s better than having it flashing all the time.

Back