Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skoda Superb Mk.3 Start/Stop

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ hmm...... thanks Dave - I agree.

However, whilst I'm certainly very uncomfortable being an apologist any part of the SS design - it's still about room temperature and given that these engines do heat-up fairly quickly, I suspect that SS decisions don't remain at the bottom end of the coolant temperature scale for any appreciable time. Plus, I suspect that the need to pass emission standards probably had a role in deciding the lower temperature threshold - perhaps

In any event, my advice is for OP to join the growing throng of those that delete SS in its entirety- life's much simpler and safer if SS is gone!!

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    The good Burghers in Germany that designed SS have already accommodated your wants. Here's a list of preconditions that must occur for the SS system to switch-off the engine (from SSP #426)

Conditions for engine stop
    The vehicle is stationary (speed = 0km/h).
    The engine speed is below 1200rpm.
    The coolant temperature is between 25C and 100C.
    The brake vacuum is more than 550mbar.
    The energy required to restart the engine that was calculated before “engine off” can be supplied
    by the battery (starting voltage prediction).
    The battery temperature is greater or equal to -1C and less than 55C.
    The air-conditioning requirement of the occupants is not too high.
    The difference between target and actual vent temperature is below 8C.
    The diesel particulate filter is not in regeneration mode (diesel engines only).
    [...]

Don
    Hi,
    Thank you all for this additional answers.
    Sorry Don, but this not how the S&S is designed, at least on my Superb Mk3. The S&S actually shuts the engine off as soon as I press the brake pedal AND the speed is below 5 km/h (assuming other conditions are fullfilled). As PetroDave mentioned, this is really an issue for many users. You need to be very smooth or feather the gas pedal, but this is not enough to fool the S&S and get the expected behavior...
    If I try and notice significant improvement, I'll tell you! May be worth a try...
    Last edited by Bap33; 10-11-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    Fun is not a straight line! Smoke tires, not drugs.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^bap33: hmm....... OK - my bad (I guess).

I was just quoting the SSP information plus my own experience with MQB platform vehicles that I have driven (mainly Golf mk7s and Audi A3 8V). In these cars, SS engages to switch-off the engine once the car has stopped completely.

Some drivers have learned what I call the "SS shoe shuffle" - which is to find the brake pedal "sweet-spot" whereby the foot pressure applied is sufficient to hold the car but is not too-much to engage SS. It isn't difficult to learn the procedure - but why bother when it's much easier to just delete SS entirely IMO.

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ DV52 : Sorry the "Num Lock" key of my keyboard was not locked. S&S shuts the engine off below 5 km/h. It's almost the same on my wife's Audi Q3.
    I'd rather it only triggers when vehicle is completely stopped to avoid engine shut off when you only want to slow down when arriving at a roundabout and you want to let the car "slide" to quickly insert in a "Mouse hole" in the traffic.
    Otherwise, it can grant you "brown trousers moments"... When S&S make you think you've stalled and your car is stuck in the middle of the rouandabout with car flow is rushing on your side...
    Fun is not a straight line! Smoke tires, not drugs.

5. Likes Uwe liked this post