Thread: Hex-Net not grabbing infrastructure

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

Hex-Net not grabbing infrastructure

I'm a computer tech, and a local repair shop hired me to get their hex net working.

I understand the philosophy of how it is supposed to work, but it simply isn't. AP mode works fine as designed, however when I put it in infrastructure mode, it will not connect to the facility's WiFi. A 4th generation Apple Time Machine is broadcasting the signal with "WPA/WPA2 Personal" protection, so in hexnet I configure it for that SSID and passcode, but when I look in the time machine's logs, I do not see the hex-net MAC address anywhere nor it's device name in the DHCP logs.

Additionally, I have found a bug in the SSID field. When I put the time machine's internal WiFi SSID in, the last 2 letters repeat 3 times on re-load. IE, "Business Network" becomes "Business Networkrkrkrk". When I put the time machine's guest SSID in, it doesn't do this (but pr the above, it still does not connect).

Is there something I am missing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Please try using the configuration utility you can download from this page, that way you won't have to type in an SSID.

-Uwe-

3. Likes magnethead liked this post
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Please try using the configuration utility you can download from this page, that way you won't have to type in an SSID.

-Uwe-
    ok, thank you. I will bring my laptop and a USB cable and try that.

Is there a reason that it would not connect to the one I put in and appeared to save correctly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've seen it be wonky with manually entered SSIDs, but it's not reproducible on demand. Setting it up with the configuration utility solved the problem every time.

"guest" accounts are bad news if they redirect http traffic to a page that requires a login or even something where the user has to agree to some T&C. The HEX-NET itself has no means of doing that.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where can the windows drivers/mac kexts be found for the hex net?

the guest account on the time machine is just a second wifi broadcast, no redirects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The HEX-NET enumerates on USB as an HID device and doesn't need any drivers on Windows, Mac, or Linux.

The only exception is Windows 8.1 with its broken HID power management; we have a "Driver" for that, which isn't really a driver at all, but an INF file that does some registry tweaks documented my Microsoft to fix what they broke.

-Uwe-

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The configurator worked. Thank you.

9. Likes Uwe liked this post