Engine Coolant - There is a Difference!!

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Engine Coolant - There is a Difference!!

The Volkswagen Group now has several different types of engine coolants and I suspect with time and the introduction of newer (electric vehicles?) this list will continue to grow.

The latest coolant that was added to the list is G12evo, introduced in the 2017 Audi A4 and R8, it is planned to be used in all Audi vehicles in the future.

If you are unsure as to what coolant your vehicle came with, check the owner's manual, it will typically have the type of coolant that is recommend and that was used during the Factory Coolant Fill.

Always use the proper coolant mixture with distilled water (recommended) to maintain the correct level of protection. Volkswagen recommends to test engine coolant with a Analog Refractometer (T10007B) to ensure the proper coolant concentration.

We have a handy chart you can print out and hang on your tool box or keep in your maintenance manual/insert as a reference to help avoid confusion and possible coolant contamination when servicing these vehicles.

Stay cool :cool: (less the smoke)

drpeter

Mika_M

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=183725
I'm having trouble understanding this chart, probably it's just my stupidity interfering. How is it OK or not recommended to mix some coolants, depending on how you read the chart? Green is OK but red is not OK, even though they are apparently same coolants mixing? Or does it have something to do with mixture ratio?

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
It also has to do with the type of material made to construct the block and cylinder head. So where a design originally called for G10; you may 'upgrade' to a G12. However, if you're all aluminium, you can't go down the grades from, say, G12+ to G10.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I'm having trouble understanding this chart, probably it's just my stupidity interfering. How is it OK or not recommended to mix some coolants, depending on how you read the chart? Green is OK but red is not OK, even though they are apparently same coolants mixing? Or does it have something to do with mixture ratio?

I have exactly the same confusion - which axis is the original coolant, and which is the coolant you want to top-up with :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mika_M

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=183725
I have exactly the same confusion - which axis is the original coolant, and which is the coolant you want to top-up with :confused: :confused: :confused:
Even that should not make any difference, since Yes should mean "Maybe mixed in any ratio without issues". :confused:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Even that should not make any difference
If that is true then the values above the diagonal and below the diagonal should be identical - but they definitely are very different!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The way I read it is that you can mix or top off with any of the G12/G13 flavors, unless you have G11; don't ever mix G11 with the original G12. There's apparently some major incompatibility between G11 and the original (no suffix) G12.

-Uwe-

Mika_M

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=183725
The way I read it is that you can mix or top off with any of the G12/G13 flavors, unless you have G11; don't ever mix G11 with the original G12. There's apparently some major incompatibility between G11 and the original (no suffix) G12.

Yes, but what about those sections I circled red in post #2 ? They don't support that conclusion...

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Left would seem to be what youre using, top is whats specified. You can use a newer spec coolant no problem, lower spec with some penalty’s, and absolutely no mixing when the factory coolant is either G11 or G12 and you want to refill with G12 or G11 respectively.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, but what about those sections I circled red in post #2 ? They don't support that conclusion...
Well, they don't "recommend" using a coolant older than the one that the car came with from the factory.

But the fact that mix a new coolant in with a car that came with older coolant tells me it's unlikely that anything really bad will happen if you mix them, even in a newer car.

I do have fuzzy recollections that mixing G11 with the original G12 was virtually certain to cause a big, sludgy mess.

-Uwe-

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi there....

So sorry about all the confusion, I have revised the matrix based on all the feedback..

How is this one? ;)

I do have fuzzy recollections that mixing G11 with the original G12 was virtually certain to cause a big, sludgy mess.

That I believe is correct, never mix the G11 and G12.

Thank you,

drpeter

Danners74

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273244
G13 pfffffft. The EVO is for the E-TRON all electric,RS5,6,7 models with thermostat issues. there are no current plans yet in UK to roll out across entire range yet as when first released it was £85.00 for 1.5 litre.

Back