5G0035953D- CarPlay enabled USB sockets required?

325_guy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=135444
The MIB2 to MkV Jetta saga grew a new twist. I chose to install the 3-port USB hub, 5G0035953D, instead of the single USB port for easier integration in the MkV cockpit. Carplay was previously tested working with this MIB2 using a 5G0035222E.

With everything installed, the MIB2 detects my iPhone, but Carplay is not enabled- only Mirror Link and Android Auto. I also have this error in auto-scan:
Code:
1637 - Interface for External Media
U11B8 00 [009] - No Communications
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 200
Mileage: 497710 km
Date: 2000.00.00

I've done a great deal of searching and can't find an answer. My understanding was that the 5G0035953D itself was Carplay-enabled and thus I did not need the special USB sockets. Is this incorrect? Or, do I have a bad hub? This was an eBay find so that's a possibility.

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
I believe there are some adaptations that need to be modified in the MIB2 to correctly configure the USb hub as opposed to the single USB port.
Check the earlier thread about this retrofit I think you'll find what you need.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
yes, the hub ports have to be enabled by adaptations. also, the black hub port is charging only.

as a side note, I have always found CarPlay to be somewhat picky. it does not work with all iPhone cables, better if the phone is unlocked before connecting, stuff like that. all these reasons are enough for me to not using the feature that much.

325_guy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=135444
This is what I've done or observed with adaptations prior to posting:

IDE10480-MAS10741-Interface for external media: activation-Connection 1,activated (already activated)
IDE10480-MAS10742-Interface for external media: activation-Connection 2,activated (I changed this one to "activated")

Further observation:
Only the 2nd USB port detects anything whatsoever. Even though it detects the iPhone, it displays "Device not supported".
USB 1 will charge a phone but it is not detected.

Cable and phone have both been checked both with this MIB2 and our Atlas and Carplay functions.

Both USBs are plugged into plain old sockets (not the carplay enabled ones).

Trying to eliminate all options before I resort to sourcing a replacement hub.

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Have a look at this -> https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?18643-Discover-Media-PQ-USB-hub-retrofit and enable the RHMI adaptation.

What USB ports did you use? What HSD cables did you use between the radio and hub and also between the hub and the USB sockets? VW in their infinite wisdom has chosen to throw a curveball in regards to the HSD cables. The cable pinout between the radio and hub and between the hub and USB2 is "crossover" but USB1 port's cable is straight through. So there could be your problem why USB1 isn't working...

325_guy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=135444
The ports are 5KD035726A, no electronics in them. HSD cables are all straight through. I was already tracking the crossover for the radio-to-hub, but not the USB2! Thanks for that!

I want to make sure I'm conceptualizing this right. If I pull the HSD cable out of its housing and rotate it 180*, that will give me the proper crossover pinout, right?

RHMI was also already activated. USB and iPhone functionality is also enabled in Long Coding.

Last edited:

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
I'm not sure this 5KD035726A is correct for USB1. Without a hub and with CarPlay, the 5G0035222E is correct but I used 5G0035222 / 5Q0035726 for hub USB1. You can use the classic yellow and green ended HSD cable between the radio and hub - this should be a crossover.

This concept is correct. You'll have to file down the HSD connector a bit for the connector to go into the plug 180deg.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I am away from my Golf until early december so I can only report what I remember. car came stock with CarPlay and one USB port, almost certainly 5G0 035 222 E. on the stock HSD connector that goes into the USB port (green) there were two extra wires, let's say on the side of the connector.

one of those two extra wires gets isolated, the other needs to go to the hub (besides power and ground, of course). I used 5G0 035 953 D hub. I bought "light-blue" HSD cables in china, they fit on all colors ports. I did not change any pinout and I am not sure if they came straight or what.

the car HSD cable that was feeding the stock USB port now goes to the hub input, green connector I believe.

I used brown and purple outputs, with the universal HSD cables, one to the stock USB port, one on the port inside the armrest, on the antenna baseplate. black output from hub I did not use.

I remember testing everything and I had both ports reading a USB stick, and both ports correctly showing CarPlay.

then some time passed, I don't use CarPlay that much and I play my music from an SD card in the head unit.

upon trying CarPlay again, I was not able to connected from any of the two ports. the cable was the same from the same test. weird.

I'll have to look into it when I go back home...

325_guy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=135444
Further testing:

With the hub-to-radio cable flipped 180* (for crossover):
VCDS still shows the 1637- Interface for External Media error (error cleared, then reappears).
USB1 doesn't detect anything- either straight through or crossover.
USB2 displays "Device not supported" whether or not the USB ports are connected to the hub.

I'm wondering if at this point I can pull apart the wife's Atlas and borrow her hub...:confused:

Livefour2day

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=32736
I have done this retrofit what did you use for the power source.....

325_guy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=135444
To the hub:
Pin 1- +12v constant (spliced to KL30 supply)
Pin 2- Ground (spliced to KL31 supply)
Pin 4- +5v from MIB2 (direct pin to C3 on the quadlock)

Last edited:

325_guy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=135444
Update:

I obtained a 5Q0 035 726 socket and a replacement hub, 5G0 035 953C (no rev. D's available).
No change in condition. USB1 not detected whatsoever, USB2 detects as a device but is not accessible and Carplay is not an option.

I don't know if perhaps there is an adaptation problem or if it's possible I fried the MIB2 with the non-crossover HSD cable.

325_guy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=135444
So, we're going to go back to what worked. 5G0035222E direct to the radio, with no hub. Once the new part gets here I'll see how that works.

325_guy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=135444
Update:

Success!
Using a replacement HSD and the "C" hub, I now have CarPlay enabled on both USB outputs.

The "D" hub I have is defective. Additionally, the HSD cable I was using was mis-wired. Unfortunately, I'll have to eat both as so much time has elapsed, I'm beyond any used part warranties.

For the Mk5 guys, you can use the $10 or so USB sockets that are designed to mimic the ESP button and drop into the blank spaces in front of the shifter. This was a big thing for me, as I wanted to keep a stock-looking interior and the idea of cutting holes to fit a CarPlay enabled socket somewhere just didn't appeal. Since the CarPlay feature is built into the hub, any generic socket can be used.

Oh, the joy of retrofitting used parts. Like a box of chocolates, you never quite know what you're going to get!

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
well I am back home now, I tried CarPlay again and it does NOT work in both ports. The phone is somehow detected but it just never connects.

I wonder if I was drunk that day, when I say it working in both ports, because now it does not work in both.

any suggestion? does anybody know for sure which hub port color requires a straight cable and which one requires a cross-over?

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
so here's what's happening after some more troubleshooting. first of all, USB1 is the port in the armrest and USB2 is the one in the center console compartment.

I tried different iPhone cables and two different iPhones. first of all, Siri needs to be enabled, or CarPlay won't work.

USB1 works for CarPlay and USB sticks. USB2 doesn't work for anything, doesn't even charge. I definitely must have been drunk after the install.

the stock HSD cable coming from the head unit is now going to the hub input. I would rule it out since USB1 works fine.
both hub outputs are connected with straight cables, maybe I just need to turn USB2 180 degrees?

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
well I ended up buying the front storage compartment with the wireless charging plate, and this came with a new USB port (and no AUX input...), so I took the chance to fix this.

I pulled the center tunnel, disconnected all wires and started from scratch. both USB ports are now working with sticks and CarPlay.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
can't remember out of my mind, I think on ebay. they all come from China.

Back