Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5G0035953D- CarPlay enabled USB sockets required?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    To the hub:
    Pin 1- +12v constant (spliced to KL30 supply)
    Pin 2- Ground (spliced to KL31 supply)
    Pin 4- +5v from MIB2 (direct pin to C3 on the quadlock)
    Last edited by 325_guy; 09-25-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

I obtained a 5Q0 035 726 socket and a replacement hub, 5G0 035 953C (no rev. D's available).
    No change in condition. USB1 not detected whatsoever, USB2 detects as a device but is not accessible and Carplay is not an option.

I don't know if perhaps there is an adaptation problem or if it's possible I fried the MIB2 with the non-crossover HSD cable.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, we're going to go back to what worked. 5G0035222E direct to the radio, with no hub. Once the new part gets here I'll see how that works.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

Success!
    Using a replacement HSD and the "C" hub, I now have CarPlay enabled on both USB outputs.

The "D" hub I have is defective. Additionally, the HSD cable I was using was mis-wired. Unfortunately, I'll have to eat both as so much time has elapsed, I'm beyond any used part warranties.

For the Mk5 guys, you can use the $10 or so USB sockets that are designed to mimic the ESP button and drop into the blank spaces in front of the shifter. This was a big thing for me, as I wanted to keep a stock-looking interior and the idea of cutting holes to fit a CarPlay enabled socket somewhere just didn't appeal. Since the CarPlay feature is built into the hub, any generic socket can be used.

Oh, the joy of retrofitting used parts. Like a box of chocolates, you never quite know what you're going to get!

5. Likes PetrolDave, Uwe, Livefour2day liked this post