B7 estate 2.0 DSG Coolant loss possible EGR cooler?

VAGMAN

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374246
Hi,
I have a 2.0 2012 B7 estate DSG which looses quite a bit of coolant (1 to 2 litres for around 20-30 miles) only when driving.

I’ve started the car and left it running for 1 hour or so, removed the covers and under tray but no sign of a leak. Loads of white smoke when I restart the car, when I top up the coolant larger air bubbles gurgle back through the coolant tank.

My understanding is the coolant is going through the system and being burnt hence the white smoke.

The car doesn’t overheat, obviously when the coolant light comes on I top it up.

My understanding is that This could be, a head gasket, the head itself or the egr cooler?

Before taking a plunge on the head, I’m looking to change the egr and cooler however is there a way I can test this to see if it the cooler?

Also, my part number of the egr cooler is 03L 131 512 BL, wha do the letters BL denote? I’ve seen some with DA on the end, are these newer versions which I could use?

TIA

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Since coolant loss is not something that can be addressed with a scan tool, moving to General VW/Audi Repair.

-Uwe-

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
If the EGR cooler has rubber hoses going to and from it, I'd clamp them off, then just pressure test the coolant system (cold engine) and see if it holds pressure.

9ykpnEs.jpg

If the system holds pressure, then undo the EGR coolant hoses and see if it bleeds down from there. If it bleeds down with the EGR hoses clamped off, then it might be a head gasket.

Pedja

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48712
The EGR is incorrect. It leaks and consumes water, so white smoke. If the engine head would pressure the hoses.

Jonesy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236509
Temporarily join the 2 EGR cooler pipes with a straight piece of copper pipe or something similar. This will complete the circuit and bypass the EGR cooler to allow you run a pressure test. It will rule the EGR cooler in or out.

VAGMAN

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374246
Thank you all for your input, I have enough input to help me rule out the EGR, will update once I’ve tested.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The EGR is incorrect. It leaks and consumes water, so white smoke. If the engine head would pressure the hoses.

NEIN..................NOT ALWAYS!

VAGMAN

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374246
Hi, just to let you know, I’ve replaced the EGR valve and the EGR cooler and it seemed to have resolved the issue, no more white smoke or coolant loss.

Thanks for everyone’s input

Back