Thread: B7 estate 2.0 DSG Coolant loss possible EGR cooler?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

B7 estate 2.0 DSG Coolant loss possible EGR cooler?

Hi,
    I have a 2.0 2012 B7 estate DSG which looses quite a bit of coolant (1 to 2 litres for around 20-30 miles) only when driving.

Iíve started the car and left it running for 1 hour or so, removed the covers and under tray but no sign of a leak. Loads of white smoke when I restart the car, when I top up the coolant larger air bubbles gurgle back through the coolant tank.

My understanding is the coolant is going through the system and being burnt hence the white smoke.

The car doesnít overheat, obviously when the coolant light comes on I top it up.

My understanding is that This could be, a head gasket, the head itself or the egr cooler?

Before taking a plunge on the head, Iím looking to change the egr and cooler however is there a way I can test this to see if it the cooler?

Also, my part number of the egr cooler is 03L 131 512 BL, wha do the letters BL denote? Iíve seen some with DA on the end, are these newer versions which I could use?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Since coolant loss is not something that can be addressed with a scan tool, moving to General VW/Audi Repair.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the EGR cooler has rubber hoses going to and from it, I'd clamp them off, then just pressure test the coolant system (cold engine) and see if it holds pressure.

If the system holds pressure, then undo the EGR coolant hoses and see if it bleeds down from there. If it bleeds down with the EGR hoses clamped off, then it might be a head gasket.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

4. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The EGR is incorrect. It leaks and consumes water, so white smoke. If the engine head would pressure the hoses.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Temporarily join the 2 EGR cooler pipes with a straight piece of copper pipe or something similar. This will complete the circuit and bypass the EGR cooler to allow you run a pressure test. It will rule the EGR cooler in or out.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your input, I have enough input to help me rule out the EGR, will update once I’ve tested.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    The EGR is incorrect. It leaks and consumes water, so white smoke. If the engine head would pressure the hoses.
    NEIN..................NOT ALWAYS!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, just to let you know, Iíve replaced the EGR valve and the EGR cooler and it seemed to have resolved the issue, no more white smoke or coolant loss.

Thanks for everyoneís input