Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 00301 ABS return flow pump (V39), Pump works, ECU is rebuilt, BRAKE light at 10 mph

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good questions, Jack.

0 265 225 239, Esp 012 09A, 487289, Bosch part # 0 265 950 106, Bosch 5.7, did not correspond to any firmware updates that I could find (yet). But I will press the issue further. The ABS controller was remanufactured, but I do not know if they would have updated firmware. I'll do a little research on how to tell if the firmware is outdated and answer that question.

Yes, fuses checked (for resistance, not just visually): 50 amp fuse S123 (50A) in driver’s side dash panel, in relay carrier (4-pin) with threaded connection, S7 (10A) S13 (10A), S14 (10A) and S242 (25A), aka fuse 42 in block. I have not yet checked fuse S102 (15A) - the ECM fuse, within the plenum chamber. It is not likely to be the cause, as there is no ECM code. This appears to be every fuse in the wiring diagram that touches the ABS controller.

I checked the two grounds, pins 1 and 5, for resistance from the harness connector. They had no resistance, but I have not checked them under load. I have not visually or mechanically inspected the ground locations yet.

Any idea about anything external that makes the pump turn on and off? Or why I hear a clicking noise from the footwell at 10 mph (coinciding with a BRAKE warning light?)

I do have the Bentley wiring diagram if that is of interest.

Thanks,
    RichS
    Last edited by RichS; 09-22-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

resolved: S4 8H cab 2005 ABS 00301 return flow pump (V39) - resolved for the moment

Resolved for the last week / 300 miles - but I don't know why.

I exercised the ABS pump repeatedly, in both directions, and measured current flow - 11 amps at startup inrush current, stabilizing at 4 amps after 10 seconds, running for 30 seconds at a time, in both directions. I think the pump would only pump in one direction regardless of rotation, but I don't know for sure. In one of the polarities, it drew about one amp less. My next step was going to be to insert monitoring wires on the spring contacts between pump and ABS controller to see when / if potential was not present.

As I carefully re-installed the ABS controller for the 11th time, battery disconnection and all, and it exhibited the same pattern of errors as before. I gave up and pondered my next move - the dealer, which in Des Moines is a pretty reasonable place to discuss technical problems. They read my Ross-tech printouts, by the way, plus they have good coffee. In return I buy parts and some service from them.

I made my wife aware of the shortcomings for her 2 mile commute on a beautiful fall top-down day. I got a text from her:

"The ABS fairy paid us a visit - no codes".

Sure enough, no amount of thrashing would make the codes return. The indicator lights are present, properly, on startup. The clicking footwell relay at 10 MPH is no longer present. With the refinished (straightened) wheels and new tires, the car drives nicely. New observation: I never noticed before, but there was never a cruise control dashboard indicator light before, and now there is. Maybe there was some sort of other system problem that affected the ABS controller.
    cheers, RichS

3. Likes NZDubNurd, Uwe liked this post