Thread: Battery drain

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Battery drain

Has anyone else had issues with their batteries being drained after using VCDS? I started using it and both times my battery was dead the next morning. I have had the battery jumped and tested. It has read good both times. I have a 20th Gti.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ hmm....... seems very odd and certainly not a systemic issue. Perhaps additional information might help. if your car supports it, a copy of the battery history might be worth posting-up. If you are new to this stuff goto Applications from the Main screen - then goto History Data - then follow the instructions HERE.

Finally, I assume that the dongle wasn't left plugged into the OBD port in the car overnight - please confirm

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar31 View Post
    Has anyone else had issues with their batteries being drained after using VCDS? I started using it and both times my battery was dead the next morning. I have had the battery jumped and tested. It has read good both times. I have a 20th Gti.
    Never had that happen in over 15 years of using VCDS.

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the car and how many modules are fitted. I can easily run the battery down on the A6 when coding long sessions. I always use a battery maintainer, ignition on and diagnostics running i see around 25A current dray so wouldnt take long to deplete the battery
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

7. Likes Uwe, Gremling liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you leave the cable plugged in overnight? I have had this happen before

9. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinopower View Post
    Did you leave the cable plugged in overnight? I have had this happen before
    I didn't leave the cable in overnight. My sessions probably ran about at most 15-20 mins. When I checked the voltage on the battery after the wouldnt start it read 11.3 and would dip to 7.9 to 8.2 when trying to start it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    ^^^ hmm....... seems very odd and certainly not a systemic issue. Perhaps additional information might help. if your car supports it, a copy of the battery history might be worth posting-up. If you are new to this stuff goto Applications from the Main screen - then goto History Data - then follow the instructions HERE.
    In the US market, a "20th GTI" would be a 2003 model; an Mk.4. No battery history in that car.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

12. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar31 View Post
    I didn't leave the cable in overnight. My sessions probably ran about at most 15-20 mins. When I checked the voltage on the battery after the wouldnt start it read 11.3 and would dip to 7.9 to 8.2 when trying to start it.
    11.3V is a for all intents and purposes a fully discharged battery. But... Evaluating state-of-charge via the voltage is only valid with no load on the battery and after it has had a chance to rest under no-load conditions for a while.

You may want to track that battery voltage while using VCDS the next time. I would avoid letting it drop to less than 12.0V under whatever loads are present with the ignition on.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    11.3V is a for all intents and purposes a fully discharged battery. But... Evaluating state-of-charge via the voltage is only valid with no load on the battery and after it has had a chance to rest under no-load conditions for a while.

You may want to track that battery voltage while using VCDS the next time. I would avoid letting it drop to less than 12.0V under whatever loads are present with the ignition on.

-Uwe-
    I will definently watch it next time. The only thing I know of is the fan does run for a min after the car has been switched off. I dont know why it does this but has for quite some years so I know that isn't the culprit.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is by far to low, but need to be measured under load (or with a better tester), one can also check the acid (std lead accumulator batteries). A good battery shall have 12,75VDC or more, should be recharged at 12,5VDC or less, and need recharging at 12,3 or less. Consider it depleted at lower than 11,5VDC.
    Keep in mind that deep cycles can severely reduce battery capacity, as internal wear of lead in cell structures may occur.

I would check battery, might be bad, or close to bad. Not sure of the effect a low battery would have on car modules, eg will they shut down as they should, or will some controllers be missing the "go to sleep command", if so, some modules will stay active, and you will have a depleted battery within hours (depending on size, initial charge and wear)

Regards
    Gremling

16. Likes PetrolDave, Uwe liked this post