Latest LCode version

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
It does not work correctly.

I configured XPL as default extension. This does work for one time. After closing LCode.exe, LCode.ini states again "LBL" as default extension.

It did work with the previous english version with that feature announced (other thread).

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Test version with hadez16 improvement, updated in #1.
{1.0.9.12}
{Enter search string for text in coding explanation}

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
LCode updated in #1.
{1.0.9.13}
{Bug with 3 pull down menus and single bit setting}
{Reset search result(s) when focus on search box (and double click)}
{Added a few string for translation}

icardiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=113031
@Netech:
There is is a very very very nasty bug in the latest version(s) of LCode!
I can confirm this bug in the version 1.0.9.13 and I can confirm that version 1.0.9.6 is without this bug. Rest of the versions I haven't tried.

Here are the steps how to reproduce:
1.) Launch LCode
2.) Click "Read info text file", First you need to paste a coding message appears, click OK
3.) Click again "Read info text file" and select file MFAXPSW04.lbl from the VCDS labels directory
4.) In byte 0 check bites 2,3,4
5.) In byte 0 bites 0-1 select value 00 instead of the default 01
6.) Bang, there we go - changing any multi bit value causes unchecking some of the checked checkboxes!
Unfortunately same happens in every unit which has multi bit values in coding.

When an user doesn't pay attention, it can lead some unpredictable results and malfunctions of various car features :cry:

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
I tried to fix a special combination of single Bit and different number of multibyte definitions.
But then there is just another untested, special combination :cry:
I have not tested all combinations now, I will try and make a configuration to test many/all combinations.

LCode updated in #1.
{1.0.9.14}
{Bug again with mixed menus and single bit setting}

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
NEtech: Hi.
I'm deeply traumatized and I had to re-load the new .exe file a few times to confirm my initial incredulity. :)

With the preface that I intend absolutely no offense and with an acknowledgment that I am one of the biggest fans of LCode - I must advise that your new software has shaken the very foundations of my "numbers world". ;)

It is with much trepidation that I tentatively suggest that the latest incarnation of LCode appears to have misplaced Byte 0. I emphasize the term "appear" because I half suspect that I am misunderstanding something. However, the fundamentals of the hexadecimal numbering system hasn't changed since well before I was a bespeckled geeky kid trying to understand why the human brain should be inflicted with a base 16 numbering system (and that was a very, very long time ago)!

It was bad enuff when the ODIS designers made the same error, but the sanctuary of VCDS's adherence to the correct nomenclature provided a satisfying refuge for those of us that expect mathematical normalcy in devices that use hexadecimal numbers!

Yes, ODIS is also used by lots of VCDS folk - but I suspect even more VCDS users have never been aware of the ODIS numbering error. And in any event, I'm not sure that this is a sufficient reason for violating one of the basic tenets of the civilized world (OK, perhaps a tad over-the-top)!:)

As a long time user of your work, my plea is - please don't allow the tail to wag the dog!!

Don

PS: if you retain a non-Byte 0 hexadecimal numbering protocol - will you do the same for the Binary numbering system - Shirley not?:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Sorry I don't quite understand what you are telling, asking.
Is this wrong:
alpha4.png

Now starting at Byte 0.

Here is a short text (from earlier), of the test version.

Here are some different information about this first test (Alpha) version.

If there is long or short coding in Windows clipboard, and LCode is started (not from VCDS), the coding is inserted.
When closing LCode, the current coding is copied into Windows clipboard, if not wanted then define this in ini file: Copy-Clip=0 (Std.), if wanted: Copy-Clip=1

There is a new Spin button where arrows from keyboard can be used, Up increase Byte value!
Also mouse (or touch) can be used to "walk" through the Bytes, with spin buttons.

It is possible to drag and drop LBL or XPL files to LCode Window.

Different languages can be translated easier using *.PO files, with for example POedit.
The language files are inside the exe file, there are only one LCode exe file and a ini (configuration file).
Languages can be changed as you wish, the language that is chosen before quitting, is defined in ini file and used next time.

Label files could be saved in UTF8, so it could be showed correct in all languages, but that is not possible, for text that VCDS shows, it must be ANSI text.
But it would be possible to make a sign in the label file to let LCode show text in UTF, if the text should only be showed in LCode.
But there would probably not be so many files.
Now LCode will show label text as UTF if definition in ini file is: UTF-file=1
So for now it would always be UTF-file=0 (Std.)

If Coding Byte length is above 52 Byte, Window is maximized in width and placed at the bottom of the screen.

Keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl 1, Ctrl 2, Ctrl 3, Ctrl 4, Ctrl 5, Ctrl O, F1, Alt F1

There are still some things not finished and others have to be made (Use of special Byte, Binary data).

Download exe file here. (alpha 4).

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
Hi Niels,

looks good so far. I really like the new way of adressing Bytes but I also noticed some quirks:
  • The progress bar is a bit of, as it does not seem to underline the currently active byte. I wonder if colouring the byte in the code string could be better.
  • Entering a byte number in the new rolling field behaves a bit weird. Entering a number to high will still display labeled bits, as the last byte is accessed. The user should be made aware, that the byte entered is off-range (maybe acoustically) and the value should directly be changed to an in-range value, as oposed as doing so after leaving the field
  • A Byte without documentation will retain the checkboxes from the previously selected byte, albeit without documentation values (as seen in module A5 3Q0-980-654-G with Byte 15)
  • Searching only works once. If a string is found more than once, you can't reach it. Searching it will switch to the first byte it is found. You then can not continue the search, as it will always only found the first one. I also got the error message that ["" is not a valid integer] upon searching, but could not detect a reason for this issue.
  • Searching doesn't highlight all bytes, the string was found. This was available in earlier incarnations, as far as I remember.

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
  1. The progress bar is a bit of, as it does not seem to underline the currently active byte. I wonder if colouring the byte in the code string could be better.
  2. Entering a byte number in the new rolling field behaves a bit weird. Entering a number to high will still display labeled bits, as the last byte is accessed. The user should be made aware, that the byte entered is off-range (maybe acoustically) and the value should directly be changed to an in-range value, as oposed as doing so after leaving the field
  3. A Byte without documentation will retain the checkboxes from the previously selected byte, albeit without documentation values (as seen in module A5 3Q0-980-654-G with Byte 15)
  4. Searching only works once. If a string is found more than once, you can't reach it. Searching it will switch to the first byte it is found. You then can not continue the search, as it will always only found the first one. I also got the error message that ["" is not a valid integer] upon searching, but could not detect a reason for this issue.
  5. Searching doesn't highlight all bytes, the string was found. This was available in earlier incarnations, as far as I remember.
First, I cannot change color for single bytes in the long coding edit box.
Can you (or other) tell me why it is really necessary to know, where you are at the long Byte string?
Does that give any extra information?
Yes we have been used to it with the old version, but that takes a lot of space, to show all Bytes separately.
There is the currently shown Byte number, the current Byte value and the current Byte Value in Binary, that is important

1) I have changed font to fixed, else it does not work, I chosen "Letter Gothic" I hope many has that.
2) I suggest to use Ctrl End, yes I fix the wrong to high Byte number to the current max available number, thanks.
3) I am not sure I understand, please make screen shot
Also explain what situation you are describing: Used in VCDS, just Coding value no label file, with label file...
4) It shows the Byte numbers, and goes to the first found Byte number, you can then go to the other byte numbers showed.
5) Search cannot highlight as before.

alpha6.png

Last edited:

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
First, I cannot change color for single bytes in the long coding edit box.
Can you (or other) tell me why it is really necessary to know, where you are at the long Byte string?
Does that give any extra information?
Yes we have been used to it with the old version, but that takes a lot of space, to show all Bytes separately.
There is the currently shown Byte number, the current Byte value and the current Byte Value in Binary, that is important
It's probably not. We are just used to it.

Of course I can elaborate on #3. This GIF should display, what is meant:
hwrh4s2z.gif

Basically it leaves checkboxes behind for undocumented bytes. Drop downs are removed in contrast. It also illustrates the problem with the progressbar, but you already fixed that.

I also noticed #6: Preference for XPL over LBL as default type is not yet saved in LCode.ini. Not sure if it should, but I would like it.

As for the searching: I have not yet found a way to go to the next byte, where my search text is found. Could you please advise.

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Can you please post the xpl file here, I cannot stop the gif it just fast.

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Test version 7.

Here is an search example.
Text found in Byte 15 and 16, automatic goes to the first found (15), you can then press arrow up (keyboard) or icon arrow up or change 15 to 16 direct.
search.png

Ini file corrected.

Are there anyone who does not see "Courier size: 12", bottom right ?
Double click to remove it, until Alpha 8.

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Alpha 8, also added conversion of values.
Only values that are used in VCDS.
Some are probably missing.

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Latest test Alpha 9.

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
I discovered two issues.

First issue is with the latest LCode version but also with the version that is shipped with VCDS.

Example LBL/XPL
Code:
LC,00,1~4,I,INFO: hadez16 hint
LC,00,5~7,00,Coding thing,1
LC,00,5~7,20,Coding thing,2
LC,00,5~7,40,Coding thing,3
LC,00,5~7,60,Coding thing,4
LC,00,5~7,80,Coding thing,5

That syntax comes from a real label file, I just changed the labels.

Now open LCode and type "80" for Byte 0.
Load XPL/LBL above.

The second dropdown does not represent the coded value.
Not initially when loading the XPL/LBL into LCode, and not when changing the value in the dropdown.

Why is that?

Second issue with the latest LCode Alpha:

Open LCode.
You're not able to enter e.g. Hex "80" for Byte 0 and hit Enter.
Nothing happens. I'd expect that Bit 7 is checked. That works in old LCode versions.

Last edited:
Back