Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 JSW and stupid TPMS question with VCDS

Post Thanks / Like

2011 JSW and stupid TPMS question with VCDS

I'm not sure why VW makes this so hard on us. My 2008 Toareg told me what the pressure was on each tire. Now I got the dummy light on for 2011 Jetta Sportwagen and I pulled out my trusty VCDS to only find out it will not tell me which wheel is offending.

Also the error code message stated something about pressure (forgot to take screenshot). Is there a different message if the sender is offline (dead battery?) such as low signal or does it just give a generic low pressure message?

FYI I put my tire gauge on all 4 tires and really cannot figure out which one may have lower pressure...although I'm questioning the health of my ancient pressure gauge.

Is there a live pressure value I can track in the system?
    2008 V6 Lux+ Pkg with factory towing
    Alaska Grey in Delaware, Ohio
    VCDS-Mobile

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you posted an Auto-Scan from this car? Does it actually have sensor-based ("direct") TPMS? Because that's kind of a per-requisite in order for it to be able to show you (or know) the individual pressures. Lots of newer cars have indirect TPMS based on a crazy analysis of wheel speed measurements.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Have you posted an Auto-Scan from this car? Does it actually have sensor-based ("direct") TPMS? Because that's kind of a per-requisite in order for it to be able to show you (or know) the individual pressures. Lots of newer cars have indirect TPMS based on a crazy analysis of wheel speed measurements.

-Uwe-
    Uwe,

Thanks for jogging my brain on that tech...now that you say this I seem to recall reading about that kind of tech...just never thought my lowly Jetta would have that. I've only got the mobile scanner handy this week since my laptop is offline. I've included a couple screenshots from the version. Maybe someone can tell me if data shows what type of TPMS I have.

When I got home last night I reset the TPMS with the button in the glove box and after a 60 mile commute to work it didn't return. (this is the 2nd time in two weeks the light has come on). So wondering if the issue is the sensor itself or in the case of wheel speed measurement maybe it's getting a bad value.

QUESTION: Does a full Auto-Scan show more information about a singular module more then what I just shared from the ABS/Brake screens?

QUESTION #2: Is there no way to upload a screenshot to this forum? It's all txt and URL based for such needs?

VCDS-Mobile

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
    When I got home last night I reset the TPMS with the button in the glove box
    If there's reset button in the glovebox, I think chances are quite good that this car has an indirect system. Another thing you can do is look at the valve stems. Direct systems use metal valve stems connected to the sensors inside the wheels. Indirect systems use traditional rubber valve stems.

QUESTION: Does a full Auto-Scan show more information about a singular module more then what I just shared from the ABS/Brake screens?
    A full Auto-Scan shows how the entire car is equipped. A direct TPMS system will ususally have its own control module, although in some case they are integrated into the BCM or CCM.

QUESTION #2: Is there no way to upload a screenshot to this forum? It's all txt and URL based for such needs?
    That is correct. We do not wish to be responsible for hosting content that might infringe on someone's IP right (particularly VW's!)

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    If there's reset button in the glovebox, I think chances are quite good that this car has an indirect system. Another thing you can do is look at the valve stems. Direct systems use metal valve stems connected to the sensors inside the wheels. Indirect systems use traditional rubber valve stems.

A full Auto-Scan shows how the entire car is equipped. A direct TPMS system will ususally have its own control module, although in some case they are integrated into the BCM or CCM.

That is correct. We do not wish to be responsible for hosting content that might infringe on someone's IP right (particularly VW's!)

-Uwe-
    Button in glove box
    Black mental vale stems
    The low tire fault code showed up in the ABS module

I'd saw we prob have individual old school TPMS based on your points.

Does a bad sensor throw a low value code or does it show another code such as missing signal?
    VCDS-Mobile

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd saw we prob have individual old school TPMS based on your points.
    I don't think so. The ABS is not involved in a direct (sensor-based) system.

-Uwe-

9. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's indicative that you have an INDIRECT TPMS system which doesn't have wheel pressure sensors, with a direct TPMS system the fault code would show in the separate TPMS module.
    Last edited by PetrolDave; 09-18-2019 at 11:43 AM.

11. Likes Uwe, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    That's indicative that you have an INDIRECT TMPS system which doesn't have wheel pressure sensors, with a direct TPMS system the fault code would show in the separate TPMS module.
    OK...so the metal valve stems really doesn't confirm much then.

So with the fault code in the ABS and the button in the glove box I'm INDIRECT then.

Are we then stating I should (or should not) be able to get individual pressure values in live data? As I'm not seeing it as a check box option anywhere in the ABS module.

What is the failure trend with the INDIRECT system? I got a error (low pressure) a few weeks back, rotated the tires and got another error (low pressure) this week.
    VCDS-Mobile

Post Thanks / Like

So with the fault code in the ABS and the button in the glove box I'm INDIRECT then.

Are we then stating I should (or should not) be able to get individual pressure values in live data? As I'm not seeing it as a check box option anywhere in the ABS module.

What is the failure trend with the INDIRECT system? I got a error (low pressure) a few weeks back, rotated the tires and got another error (low pressure) this week.
    Since an INDIRECT system does not have pressure sensors in the wheels, there is no way to see pressure values as live data.

The indirect systems have software that analyses the data from all the ABS wheel speed sensors and looks for changes in the patterns of wheel rotation (not just speed but also vibration, etc.).

It sounds to me like you may have a deformed wheel (hit any large objects or curbs recently?) or a tire that either has some uneven wear patterns or some sidewall damage. I would inspect each wheel/tire carefully.

14. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Any possibility they are aftermarket?

Maybe you could post an Auto-Scan? VCDS-Mobile can do an Auto-Scan.

I got a error (low pressure) a few weeks back, rotated the tires and got another error (low pressure) this week.
    Did you reset the system after rotating the tires? Make sure they are inflated properly, reset using the button, and let it learn. I would not be at all surprised to see a warning from an indirect system sometime after after rotating the tires if it has not been told to re-learn after the rotation.

-Uwe-