New to VCDS,Any tips or trick that I should be doing when coding

Tayyib

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=376922
Hi
I am new to VCDS and I am gonna start doing retrofitting and coding of VAG CARS.Any tips or trick of what I should and shouldn’t be doing when coding a car e.g. tweaking a 2014 Audi A3 turning rear pace indicator on.I have done many retrofit before but now have decided to buy VCDS myself instead of paying someone else to do it for me
Thanks

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
You should, as a first step when getting in touch with a new car, perform a full Auto-Scan and also create Adaption Channel maps for all modules.
This will function as a failsafe for most things that could go wrong.

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Tayyib: Hi and welcome to the wonderful (but not mysterious) world of VCDS!!

If I can add another "must do" suggestion to TBAx's sage advice, before you start changing the virgin settings on your car -make a "restore Hex" file of the major modules (at least) and preferably of ALL of the modules.

"Restore - Hex" files are a relatively recent addition to later generation VCDS software: they are a really nifty way of quickly restoring the entire adaptation/coding database in a module back to the settings that applied when the file was created. So if the restore hex file was created before making changes, the process will relatively easily re-create the original factory database in the module. How good is that?

Hopefully - you will never need to use the restore hex file - but for those times when the loose stools (otherwise known as the "brown stuff") and the fan collide, having these files as insurance will be well worth the effort (not that much effort is needed to create these little beauties). But the process is limited to what RT describes as "non-ancient" modules (not KW1281 protocol) - not sure if your car has these newer protocol modules

Find HERE a brief set of instructions for making and using restore hex files (you can also find a set of instruction on RT's on-line manual)

Don

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
- Use a battery charger for any or longer diagnostic sessions
- what TBAx said...

Tayyib

Verified VCDS User
Verified