Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ACC Retrofit Working (module good), but Not Working (no ACC)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alright - I've got all of the parts assembled: repair wires, ABS connector, ABS housing.
    (With a TDI, I also discovered that I have to remove the front exhaust pipe to get better access to the ABS module - at least I think that's the reasoning (?))
    (Edit: Indeed - with the TDI's DPF basically blocking the path of the ABS module forward and up, there's no way it's coming out the top; going to have to remove the ABS module from below.)

Anyway, just before I jump into things, please let me know if this is the proper order of operations and any clarifications to the steps necessary.
    1. Get to the ABS module - looks like I don't have to remove anything apart from the exhaust pipe (according to repair manual).
    2. Disconnect negative battery terminal
    3. Disconnect / unplug ABS connector
    4. Disconnect brake lines
    5. Remove ABS module
    6. Install new ABS module; reattach brake lines
    7. Cut the wiring on ABS connector - how long should I leave that? Cut close to connector? The repair wires will provide a LOT of extra wire length
    8. Attach repair wires to existing wiring
    9. Feed repair wires into appropriate slots of new ABS connector
    10. Connect new connector to new ABS module
    11. Pump brake bleeder up to 29psi and bleed brake system
    (my "new-to-me" unit did not come with plugs in it, so I'm assuming there's plenty of air in the ABS unit; is there an ABS bleed procedure in VCDS for these cars, same as there is for the Mk4 cars?)
    12. Button everything back up, code the ABS and other modules, and....hope for the best.

What am I overlooking? Any tips on how to best accomplish the re-wiring (that's the things that has me the most trepidatious).
    Last edited by Nuje; 10-08-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much like that. One thing I would do differently as I did. Point 7. I would not cut the wire completely. I would do it again so that dismantle the connector and cut and reattach one by one. Makes it much easier to follow what you’re doing.

Also you need to replace one 20Amp fuse to 40Amp fuse in the fusebox.

Edit :

Fuse SB1 needs to be upgraded to 40A. It is now 20A with ESP MK100.
    Last edited by downtime; 10-08-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip on the fuse.

Pulling back the tape and looking at the wiring, looks like I'm missing a couple (?!).
    Here's what I've been able to discern:

1 - Stays same (DO NOT CUT)

4-5: Out of picture (green & black) - FR wheel sensor
    6-7 (blue/red & grey/red): RL wheel sensor
    8-9 (brown & black): FL wheel sensor
    10-11 (blue and grey): RR wheel sensor

42 - (orange/blue): CAN-H
    43 - (orange/brown): CAN-L

14 (big brown) DO NOT CUT: Ground
    Also, tap this and run to #46 for another ground

30(?) (Big red/white) DO NOT CUT: SB21
    31 (Red/black): SB17

35 (Violet/black): BCM T73a

From your pinout, it looks like my car does not have G294 - as I do not have brown, black, blue wires for Brake Servo (is that the electronic parking brake perhaps?)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
    From your pinout, it looks like my car does not have G294 - as I do not have brown, black, blue wires for Brake Servo (is that the electronic parking brake perhaps?)
    Nope, I don't have electronic parking brake either.

I would suggest that you buy 1 hour rights to VW Erwin and download schematics for your car. NAR models might have some differences in the wiring colors.

Edit :

Ahaa, you have a diesel. I have gasoline. I think diesels have different way to check if the car has stopped or not. Gasoline uses brake servo info and if I remember correctly diesels use vacuum pump or something like that.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn - I had downloaded EVERYTHING I could find from erWin when I first bought the car, but can't find the wiring diagrams.

So - downloaded that now. From what I can see, I'm missing a "G476" wire - but that's a clutch position sensor...and given that I have a DSG, that would be expected.

Question on the additional big ground wire (T46/14 + T46/46): Did you just run an additional 4mm wire and then splice them together? Where? Does it matter?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn - I had downloaded EVERYTHING I could find from erWin when I first bought the car, but can't find the wiring diagrams.

So - downloaded that now. From what I can see, I'm missing a "G476" wire - but that's a clutch position sensor...and given that I have a DSG, that would be expected.

Question on the additional big ground wire (T46/14 + T46/46): Did you just run an additional 4mm wire and then splice them together? Where? Does it matter?
    Good! Now you are fully armed and ready to take battle with the abs

And to your question. Yes I just added another thicker brown wire and I did the splice inside ABS connector just to keep the wires as short as possible.

My installation has lasted for 2 years in extreme Finnish conditions

Trust me, the change is not that bad, the coding in my case was the nightmare. But eventually got around with that as well

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you weren't working on a TDI - which has a DPF perfectly situated so that getting at the ABS module is maddeningly difficult. Put it this way: It took three different tools and close to 10minutes for me to be able to get the connector disconnected. \_(ツ)_/

So yeah - this is going to be fun.

But I've got three more days of cool, clear weather, so why not?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you weren't working on a TDI - which has a DPF perfectly situated so that getting at the ABS module is maddeningly difficult. Put it this way: It took three different tools and close to 10minutes for me to be able to get the connector disconnected. \_(ツ)_/

So yeah - this is going to be fun.

But I've got three more days of cool, clear weather, so why not?
    You're right, I didn't There are some things that make it a tad more difficult. But still, swapping the unit won't be any harder when you get to it. But working with the connector will be fun for sure in such a tight place

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to wrap this up and put a bow on it, I got it all working...(at about 11:45pm the other night...with no other cars out on the roads to show up on my instrument cluster )

I owe much MUCH thanks to downtime - I was able to get the coding at least somewhat there, but without his help, I'm sure I'd still fighting my way through getting rid of errors.

Lots of details on the process in a thread I created over at TDIclub.

Much thanks to everyone here who helped out on this - such a great community!