Kessy Finally Completed A6 4G FL 2015

Mike_Jones

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=18137
Just thought I would share my experience on this for anyone who fancies having a go. I have this on my A8 and I spend my life grabbing the door handle of my wife's A6 and wondering why it won't open! So first job is a laborious wiring and I am assuming most people on the forum will have the skill to dismantle the doors and rear quarter panel. Nothing difficult just time consuming. I bought the looms pre made form K-Electronic in Germany. Whilst the doors were apart I fitted the soft close for which I bought the bits ages ago. Just a note the RHD locks for the UK are rare on eBay so ended up buying from the dealer.

For Kessy there are two extra aerials one in each rear door plus a sensor fitted in each door handle - the door handles have a plastic insert which can be removed so the sensor can installed. Fiddly work but not hard. So with the wiring completed and connected back to the connector on the BCM then the fun starts.

My first attempt was using VCP. VCP lists the existing BCM 4H0907064FN as being supported by their kessy parameter upload file, it isn't! All it did was to break keyless go so I could only start the car with the key against the transponder. VCP support is worse than useless. Even though my car has LED and dynamic indicators it turns out that the Kessy chips are not present. Next I tried a BCM that was loaned from a master tech who had one from an RS6. This is where the real fun starts. In order to swap the BCM you need dealer facilities. Alex from VAG Car Coding has dealer access and rather than visit him he posted me an ODIS interface and I set it up on a PC for him to work remotely (Windows 7 VM). Part of the BCM swap process is the "remote terminal 15" which is a signal sent from Germany to turn on the ignition. On this BCM it simply would not work even after numerous tries. Eventually put the original module back (still Broken). Swapping the BCM also produced a myriad of other faults and ODIS seems to have a random way of fixing them. It's probably easier to fix using VCDS.

The "FN" suffix module is now superceded by GB which is in fact what is in my A8 and R8 so I knew it had the keys chipset. So found one of eBay from an RS7 which should already be parameterised for Kessy. This time the remote terminal 15 worked and Alex completed the swap and cleared all the errors in a couple of hours. Keyless Go now working again but no kessy. Grrrrrr. What I hadn't noticed was that the rear lights were all out of position and despite coding and adaptation I was unable to get the lights back in their correct places. After much soul searching I noticed that within VCP there was a file referring to A6 LED parameters, as a last resort I ran it and amazingly that did work. So lights now correct and effectively back to where I started. Feeling brave I tried the VCP Kessy parameter file (for the FN suffix) and that fixed Kessy, hooray. Clearly RS7 Kessy parameters are not the same as A6.

This is a massively shortened story but I would be confident that with a GB suffix BCM plus ODIS & Dealer facilities plus VCP this upgrade can be done by an amateur. VCP is brilliant when it works but equally the support is non existent. There is no rocket science in any of this it is just about being logical. I can't thank Alex enough for his patience and reasonable rates.

At the time all very stressfull but once completed very satisfying and why we all like retrofits. If anyone would like more info happy to share.

torrebasetez

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=354490
Fantatic......perfect

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
I noticed the same support wise with VCP. It has some features that you simply just need when you do any noteworthy retrofit on any VAG car >5 years old, and cannot be done with VCDS (if VCDS only supported parameter sets it would pull 75% of the people buying VCP back to VCDS, I'd bet money on that). But they know that they offer something you cant do without if you are not working for an official dealer but you do have the know-how, and as such display an attitude in their support or don't bother to reply at all.

Reactions: Uwe
Back