Thread: Linking heated mirrors to rear defroster

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Linking heated mirrors to rear defroster

Is it even possible?

I've got a 2014 VW GLI autobahn with Nav and the 6MT (not sure how much of that is relevant).

I was able to find most of my tweaks via VWvortex, and I've done some lurking around here as well, though no amount of searching has given me a firm answer on if I can make the heated mirrors turn on when I activate my rear defroster. To date I have not had any issues turning either the mirrors or the defroster on independently of each other, it's just that I would like everything to work as one would expect it to.

I've been using VCDS 14.10 on a Windows 7 64 byte laptop. I can provide my autoscan if it's needed, though I'm currently on a different computer.

Thanks for a great product!

Exco

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great idea - I have never seen anything written that this is possible on any VAG model. I strongly doubt you can control both from the rear defroster circuit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    VCDS can only change those things which VW made provisions to be changed via the diagnostic API and I don't think they made a provision for that.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't change hardware by changing software!

My 2006 Golf V is different from my 2009 Golf V. The 2006 mirror-heating was connected to the rear-defroster, on the 2009 I have to turn the mirror-button to heating-position There's a big difference in de hardware of both cars!
    Golf VII, 1.6TDI BM Ed. 40 - 110 PK

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK thanks folks.

I can accept that it's not possible, though it would've been nice if VW would have designed this particular feature like 99% of the other vehicles on the market.

Exco