2014 GLI engine noise from timing area with video and dealer response.

eppy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=178355

2014 VW GLI
2.0 turbo
48,000 miles
Bone stock
Car runs fine, no CEL lights, no drivability issues.
Dealer stated the car was NOT out of time.

My girlfriend's car started making an odd noise from the timing area of the engine the past couple of weeks.
Did some digging to see if I could isolate where it was coming from.

First I removed the serpentine belt to rule out anything in the belt area, no luck, still made the noise.
Unplugged the cam adjuster magnet and the noise stopped.

Thinking the magnet may be bad we replaced it, no change.

At this point, we dropped it at the dealer, their suggested fix -

Replace intake camshaft, camshaft phasers, spool valve & cam bracket
Coolant flush
Oil change
Set Readiness

$4550 + tax

Additional recommendation
Replace Timing chain & tensioner

$650 + tax

After some research, I was thinking maybe the N205 Valve Variable Timing Solenoid may be bad?
Part # 06H-109-257-A

Thoughts? Suggestions?
The suggested $4550.00 repair is not sitting well with her...

TIA

Last edited:

Samz09

Reaction score
I would consider doing the N205, and the cam bridge. The external magnet maybe but leave it for last, i dont think youll need it. They suggested the cam because the cam bridge oil screen probably broke and it can go into the cam and adjuster since there hallow. But do the cam bridge and spool valve. Buy both but first swap the spool valve and see if it fixes it, shouldnt take more then 10 minutes to change if you have the special tool to remove it, its reverse thread also. Changing the cam bridge is more in depth and more time but not difficult

Samz09

Reaction score
The fastest and easiest thing to do is this. Remove the cam magnet actuator from the upper timing cover, 3x T30 screws. Behind it you'll see the N205 valve, spool valve. The center plunger on it should be flush/ flat with the rest of the "center" of the valve, call it a button, it should be flat. If you find it poking out like a raised button, or counter sunk, Change the valve then proceed to clear faults are re-scan. Ive seen them just pop like a coil would

CrispySonOfA

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I’m experiencing the exact same noise and change when unplugging the magnet. My engine is a CPRA 1.8T. I’m going to check the valve based on the advice above but wanted to see if you ever found any more information based on your dealership visit? I appreciate the insight very much!!

dingjob

Reaction score
Also following up on this? I tried changing the magnet but noise still there in a 14 GLI.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Shouldn't all these EA888 cars be under campaign, for safety and SMOG TSB/Recall or in some cases, Useful life warranty for multi level widespread defects and related as such without too much problem to observe documentation at NHTSA?

VWNovice

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I, too, have the engine rattle problem after initial idle. Like @ CrispySonOfA, when I unplug the magnet the sound goes away. I measured with a special machining tool to make sure the N205 valve's (06K109257) center is flush with the mating parts. Had anyone in the thread come to resolution with the issue?

Back