markus1975

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275974
Hi,

A few general questions......

(i) I have recently read unofficial advice (uk-mkivs.net forum topic 498106) strongly suggesting to have ignition off/key out when connecting/disconnecting VCDS hardware. This was news to me but I have often wondered, is it okay to start the engine with VCDS hardware plugged in? Admittedly, there may have been occasions where I have plugged/unplugged with ignition on/engine running or starting the engine when plugged in but I have not had any obvious issues so far. If the plugging/unplugging advice is correct then starting the engine with the hardware plugged in is the only path to obtaining running/live data and I have potentially answered my own question but, considering the cost of the units, I would really like the official word on all this (Uwe?) for HEX-USB and HEX-NET.

(ii) VCDS reports "Version: 1.96" below the Interface Type in a Port Test on a HEX-USB. Is this a Firmware Version? Is 1.96 the latest for HEX-USB?

(iii) Using the ODBII tool in VCDS with a HEX-USB on a Nissan 2010 Qashqai (our other car) appears to hang and the LED flashes orange/green at twice the normal rate. Happened with VCDS V15 and V17 IIRC but haven't tried with V19 yet. Would this make a difference or is it more likely a hardware incompatibility? I am happy to report this doesn't happen with VCDS V19 and a HEX-NET (latest FW).

Many thanks in advance. Wasn't quite sure where to put this in the forum....

Regards,
Mark.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
(i) Should make no difference. The only caveat I can think of is that if you have an active session going with a control module and you start the engine, it is entirely possible that session will be dropped; but this depends on the load-shedding logic in the particular car.

(ii) Yes, that's the HEX+CAN / HEX-USB / HEX-COM firmware version. 1.96 is indeed the latest / last.

(iii) I had to look up what a Nissan Qashqai is. That exact vehicle doesn't seem to be sold here in NAR. We've never been in a position to guarantee generic OBD-II compatibility with other manufacturers' cars. In theory it should work because it's a "standard", but a famous wise man once said: "The thing I like most about standards is how many ways there are to interpret them." Anyway, if it works with your HEX-NET, be happy. :)

-Uwe-

markus1975

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275974
Thanks Uwe.

I tried the ODBII on the Qashqai again with V19 and the HEX-USB and it appears to be working now so that’s a bonus.

I have been using the HEX-NET a bit more and have a couple of Status LED queries....

(iv) Just after beginning to communicate with the Engine controller on my Fabia, from flashing green the CPU LED then goes off, orange, red and then back to flashing green again. I am assuming the CPU has rebooted for some reason?? Is the Orange status a clue as to why that happens? This doesn’t appear to happen with the ABS controller for example.

(v) If all LEDs flash red and the HEX-NET beeps, what does this mean? After that, each LED went back to good/green status.

Regards,
Mark

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have been using the HEX-NET a bit more and have a couple of Status LED queries....

(iv) Just after beginning to communicate with the Engine controller on my Fabia, from flashing green the CPU LED then goes off, orange, red and then back to flashing green again. I am assuming the CPU has rebooted for some reason?? Is the Orange status a clue as to why that happens? This doesn’t appear to happen with the ABS controller for example.

(v) If all LEDs flash red and the HEX-NET beeps, what does this mean? After that, each LED went back to good/green status.
I would like to get Shaun's interpretation of this behavior, but today is a holiday in the US and our office is closed, so we might not have an answer until later tomorrow.

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
(iv) Just after beginning to communicate with the Engine controller on my Fabia, from flashing green the CPU LED then goes off, orange, red and then back to flashing green again.

This doesn't sound like cause for concern, it is just indicating higher CPU usage, probably it is loading some info for that module.

(v) If all LEDs flash red and the HEX-NET beeps, what does this mean?

This generally indicates a detected short on the K-line. Maybe someone with more Nissan experience could chime in, but if this is a non-VAG vehicle I think something else could be on that pin, so the warning might be irrelevant. Or are you seeing this on a VAG vehicle?

Reactions: Uwe

markus1975

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275974
I played about with it some more and also noticed the “higher CPU usage” behaviour also happens when beginning communications with the Instruments aswell.

The LEDS flashing red has only happened the once on my Fabia. I wasn’t actually communicating with the HEX-NET and admittedly it had been sitting idle for a while. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Thanks Shaun and Uwe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330

That also sounds like the 'Find my HEX-NET' facility. Were you using VCDS-Mobile with the iPhone app? If you use that, when the app finds the HN IP Address; if you tap on the sound icon thing, the HN will beep three times and flash all three LEDs red so you may locate the device you're connected to.

markus1975

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275974
Oh wow! I did not know about that! Have I missed explanation of that feature somewhere in documentation? haha. Now you say that, I did come back from getting my iPhone so could have inadvertently hit that button without realising.... Ill have another look at that next time I plug it in. Thanks Zenerdiode

Back