New Crafter and TGE

Jonluka

Reaction score
Hi guys,
just looking into VCDS and thinking of going for the hex net pro version but just wanted some info from people as to the limitations of the software and brand new vehicles. With all other aftermarket devices there are "black spots" as the tech catches up to the new vehicles. Just wondered if this system is the same?

We currently work on Crafter and MAN TGE both the same vehicle from the same factory. Are there any differences when working on these vehicles?
As a basic we would want to take them out of transport mode, fault code diagnostics, possibly re calibrate the front assist sensor and code a tow bar in.

Any one see any issues with this?

Thank you for any input

Jon

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
With all other aftermarket devices there are "black spots" as the tech catches up to the new vehicles. Just wondered if this system is the same?

Unfortunately yes. Why? We do not have access to VAG info direct from VAG. The tech has to be learned in reverse engineering techniques. Our users help us make that happen.

We currently work on Crafter and MAN TGE both the same vehicle from the same factory. Are there any differences when working on these vehicles?
As a basic we would want to take them out of transport mode, fault code diagnostics, possibly re calibrate the front assist sensor and code a tow bar in.

Any one see any issues with this?

Biggest issues for Ross-Tech is that we do not have these vehicles in the US. We only get access from our friends in Europe and the rest of the world. While our tool will talk with these cars, I think those who have used our tool will tell that more could be done. Yet how do we do that?

Our first foray into the Crafter required our Danish distrib to ship us a Crafter in a box.. He shipped us all the electronics out of a crashed Crafter so we could work and make progress. In those days, the Crafter was really a Mercedes platform and was totally different from VAG.. Also, our main programmer spent a week in a hotel parking lot during the Automechanika trying to master the Crafter one of our distribs brought to move stuff to the show. That's how these things get done.

While as the Director of Marketing and Sales, I don't want to unsell you, we admit our Crafter support is less than perfect. We do not wish to disappoint. Find someone near you with VCDS and give it a go using their tool. Evaluate from there.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The new/current Crafter (and MAN TGE) is more compatible with VCDS than the previous one, because the new one has all VW systems rather than a mixture of VW and MBZ modules. Fault codes are no problem. I would expect transport mode to be no problem, but I'm not 100% certain. Coding in a trailer module should be possible, but I don't know that anything has been documented. Calibrating radar sensors is highly questionable, and I would say this should be regarded as a "No".

-Uwe-

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
No they are quite similar.
From what you write, I read it, as it is only the new Model (not Mercedes model).

Transport mode: Yes
Fault code diagnostics: Yes
Possibly re calibrate the front assist sensor: Guess it is doable, probably dynamic calibration while driving some time.
If it should be done Static, you also need calibration tools.

I see Uwe answered, I forgot Trailer, most are delivered with Trailer I think.
If there is retrofit available, I guess it should be possible, but have not tried it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Jonluka

Reaction score
Thank you for your help on this it is much appreciated.

Yes I do mean the new/current Crafter built by VW in Poland along side the MAN TGE. We convert new vehicles into mainly wheelchair accessible vehicles so apart from purchasing OEM tools for each manufacturer we have a couple of different ones that talk to most of the vehicles. The main issue we have is transport mode so for that alone the VCDS will be of use.
After a few calls, the tow bar manufacturer have suggested they have used VCDS to code in a trailer control unit to a new Crafter so I guess it is possible.

Thanks again

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Calibrating front (ACC/emergency brake) radar sensors always require a physical calibration setup. That really doesnt change either if you’d be using VCDS, the factory tool (ODIS) or any other tool.

Back