New to VDCS and have a concerning problem.

nardo19

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a concerning problem and was hoping you could provide insight. I am driving a 2019 RS3 (North America). I did some modifications and am running into a very confusing trouble that I can't seem to figure out. My first mod was JB4 and I ran the e30 map. It worked great. No problems. Then I bought an intake from the 18 model and they changed the DV piping so it was not plug and play. I ran it anyway for a few miles, but decided that having the DV dump to atmosphere was something I'm not comfortable with, depsite it being a MAP sensored car. I put it back to stock intake and did some pulls. I then got a "drive system malfunction" high in the 4th gear powerband. Pulled over and scanned the car P0000.

I turned the car off, the CEL disappreared. Did another pull, and it came back. I took it home and took off the intake to inspect. I didn't see any problems, so I went to put on the intake back and it wouldnt go on. I noticed at this point a kink in the coupler to the turbo inlet from the intake piping. I don't know if it was like that the whole time, or if I kinked it in that moment putting it back on. Can't be sure. I fixed the little kink (air would have been able to pass through it) and took for a drive, hoping it would go away and delete the code. It did not. I did a battery pull to try to clear it. The JB4 wouldn't clear it either. When it came back on, I got the normal CELs from all the drive systems resetting, but 3 persisted and would not clear, and none of them make sense.

p0000
p01200 (yes five numbers!)
p01100

I had a friend from VDCS and it couldn't tell me what these faults were either. It said unknown fault. It did bring them up, but didn't know what they were, similar to the JB4. I don't have the log and I'm so sorry for that, but was wondering if someone could shed some light on what is going on with the car? I have since taken off the JB4 and am not getting errors when I drive it, but i know those codes are still there as soft codes because you can tell its in a mild limp mode. The car won't give full boost or launch control when it has soft codes. Trying to avoid going to Audi because of the modifications. Don't want to get TD1 if I don't have to. Any insights?

Thank you so much.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

nardo19

Reaction score
Please post an Auto-Scan for context.

-Uwe-

I wish I had it. Sorry, I thought I told you that. It wasn't my cable. I guess I'd have to go back? I only have a photo of the codes from JB4.

BTW, thank you for your time.

It said unsupported vehicle. I know it was a HEX CAN cable.. wasn't sure if perhaps 2019 rs3 isn't compatible yet? He even did an update first. I was shocked it couldn't figure out these codes.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
It said unsupported vehicle. I know it was a HEX CAN cable.. wasn't sure if perhaps 2019 rs3 isn't compatible yet? He even did an update first. I was shocked it couldn't figure out these codes.
2019 models need a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET cable, VAG (Audi) changed so many things in the electronics of 2019 vehicles that the older cables such as HEX-CAN just cannot communicate correctly with many (most?) of the electronics in 2019 models.

Summary? - you need a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET cable to fault find your (lovely) 2019 RS3. Surely a car as lovely at that is worth spending a few hundred dollars on VCDS to be able to get it working properly?

Reactions: Uwe

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Is it only me who is wincing at the prospect of buying a $60,000 car, and then immediately doing engine mods?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is it only me who is wincing at the prospect of buying a $60,000 car, and then immediately doing engine mods?
Back in the day, I've done that sort of thing myself:

vgi1.jpg

But I was prepared to bear full responsibility for any consequences.

-Uwe-

Back