1.8T ( 20 V. ) Fault codes but no MIL light... ?

2stroke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=200316
It might be easier if you only posted questions on this subject in the thread you have started,
posting in multiple threads ALWAYS causes confusion :thumbs:

Can you confirm whether the engine ECU has been "chip tuned" as Jack suspects - see your original thread ?
Yes,
the car has the following software:
( but I think the car is very tired/lazy )

Set it as per RTFB.............
Since you know this very well, I ask you how to check/set up the wastegate actuator ? :confused:

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I do know, but I expect you to pick up a book and read it and ask questions based on the repair book that you don't understand?

Why should I write what is already written?

Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Well get a stock OEM ECU or flash to stock and rescan the car.
+1

It appears that the chip tune has removed some of the diagnostics in the ECU, which makes fault finding very difficult /impossible.

2stroke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=200316

2stroke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=200316
The ECU appears to be modified.
It appears that the chip tune has removed some of the diagnostics in the ECU,
which makes fault finding very difficult/impossible.
:cry:
How can you see from the diagnostics above that the software has been changed ?
What values, etc., are missing and/or incorrect ?
(trying to learn here :confused: )

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
:cry:
How can you see from the diagnostics above that the software has been changed ?
What values, etc., are missing and/or incorrect ?
(trying to learn here :confused: )
Take a look at the readiness values :cool:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

2stroke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=200316
1.8T

1. I have erased the 3 error codes and been out driving today for about 80 Km without seen them coming back.

2. Whether my car have modified software or not,
I would like help with checking/setting/adjusting the wastegate arm/actuator in the proper way.
Can somebody help ? :confused:

3. Top speed on Autobahn with 102 RON Octane ( 96 AKI/PON Octane ) fuel was only ~205 Km/h on speedo.
and I think it is way to low.
My car have 235/40x18" wheels and Quattro.
Is there anything I can start checking for what makes the car so tired/lacy ?

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
This is the VCDS OBD section of the forum not mechanical repairs section, no?

Actual Boost & requested Boost in addition to duty cycle of the N75 that controls the WG can be logged in 0x01-08-115 & to surmise the deviation being +/- , no?

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?3147-What-is-Jack-talking-about-0x01-08-000

You will not get any help here for instruction of mechanical's or modifications to a car that doesn't comport for a qualified repair, further these questions and setting up the WG should be queried in the RTFB at ERWIN, no, were you not already asked this?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Official_Factory_Repair_Information

Thank you :p

Did it not already get recommended you remove FOD & to get a valid stack of diagnostics?

fod-control-signs-risk-series.png

2stroke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=200316
This is the VCDS OBD section of the forum not mechanical repairs section, no ?

Actual Boost & requested Boost in addition to duty cycle of the N75 that controls the WG can be logged in 0x01-08-115 & to surmise the deviation being +/- , no ?

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?3147-What-is-Jack-talking-about-0x01-08-000

You will not get any help here for instruction of mechanical's or modifications to a car that doesn't comport for a qualified repair,
further these questions and setting up the WG should be queried in the RTFB at ERWIN, no, were you not already asked this ?

Thank you :p

Did it not already get recommended you remove FOD & to get a valid stack of diagnostics?

fod-control-signs-risk-series.png
Excuse my ignorance.
English is not my spoken or written language,
so I can have a little difficulty expressing myself and/or understanding your answers.
Have patience with me, THANK YOU
Try to explain to me in a simple and easy-to-understand manner without abbreviations in the text or with subtle answers.

I'm a total Newbie in this VCDS world.

In this forum section it is intended that you should be able to ask questions about how to fix/repair/adjust/set up/check your VAG car and get answers from those who know better than yourself.

I'm not looking to modify or alter my car, just check and if necessary adjust the WG actuator/arm in the best possible way.
But I do not know how to do it :confused:

According to the owner's manual, AUDI claims that the top speed of my car should be 223 Km/h ( using 95 RON Octane / 90 AKI/PON Octane )
I did several WOT runs for several miles in a row on the Autobahn and only came up to 205 Km/h ( despite using significantly better fuel 102 RON Octane / 96 AKI/PON Octane )
I think this is strange.

I just wanted to pass on what I discovered with my car and ask here in the thread what I can check firsthand to see if everything is as it should or not with my car.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Excuse my ignorance.
English is not my spoken or written language,
so I can have a little difficulty expressing myself and/or understanding your answers.
Have patience with me, THANK YOU
Try to explain to me in a simple and easy-to-understand manner without abbreviations in the text or with subtle answers.

I'm a total Newbie in this VCDS world.

In this forum section it is intended that you should be able to ask questions about how to fix/repair/adjust/set up/check your VAG car and get answers from those who know better than yourself.

I'm not looking to modify or alter my car, just check and if necessary adjust the WG actuator/arm in the best possible way.
But I do not know how to do it
confused.png

According to the owner's manual, AUDI claims that the top speed of my car should be 223 Km/h ( using 95 RON Octane / 90 AKI/PON Octane )
I did several WOT runs for several miles in a row on the Autobahn and only came up to 205 Km/h ( despite using significantly better fuel 102 RON Octane / 96 AKI/PON Octane )
I think this is strange.

I just wanted to pass on what I discovered with my car and ask here in the thread what I can check firsthand to see if everything is as it should or not with my car.

The RTFB = Hey did you know it means ......... READ THE FACTORY BOOK?

Set it up as factory designed test it and then log it with VCDS, no?

Did you know you can log it now too in VCDS?

Did you figure out yet that if you keep asking the same questions, the answer will be the same?

2stroke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=200316
1.8T ( 20 V )

Weak WG spring is pretty common on that K03/29 turbo.
You may find use of this thread:
( although it is really about the newer TFSI engines )
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...he-TSI-engines-great-video-by-Humble-Mechanic
How to address the problem with the weak wastegate spring on the K03/29 turbos ? :confused:

Jack@European_Parts said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=7fk6cSDE3hE
The video doesn't address the heart of the matter & which is a stupid design flaw!

Turbo chargers changed due to P0299 code.......... is lack of experience in correcting an issue, verse just changing it with the same shit part!

My favorite fail in the repair industry!

If you run into a turbo charger that exhibits this stupid condition, do the following in the car first!
Do not change the turbo charger further being a moron wasting money!

Cut the waste-gate rod close to the actuator air motor, than leaving about 13MM of rod.
Remove air motor and bench....

Now the rod swings down limp and can be threaded with a socket die in the car carefully.
Now thread the other side on bench.

Now that you have threaded both, cut the rod in the car about 10 MM with a straight air saw or manually & with a nut already on the threads to guide you and used as a reverse chase to clean the threads.

Now install a nut on the air motor and in the car with actuator air motor unsecured still & install a coupling nut and tighten it, further shorting the distance by 2 MM approximately or until spring pull tension is achieved to seal the WG valve.

Now tighten the jam nuts against the coupling nut.

Takes about 15 minutes for a pro and about an hour for a guy that never did it.
Parts add up to the hardware store or Wurth supplier + tools you should already have in your box or will soon add.

The whole issue is really just a weak spring due to being in a high heat transition location for induced wear!

If you don't do this with a new turbo charger & while it's still on the bench, you have my permission to consider yourself an idiot!

I should add that the same can be achieved by slotting the mounting holes of the WG actuator air motor and pulling it back to make a tighter basic setting position. ( Works like 90% of the time )

Now a cheap ass fix at a total of "30 seconds" is to add an external spring, from lever at charger; to a bracket of your choice & to stiffen the hold of the WG valve that is currently weak!

Just look at any old 1.8T ( 20 V ) turbo, they had a threaded setting on the wastegate actuator arm !

// Jack.
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to explain above :popcorn:
but I interpret it as you think the construction with the bushing in the house is poor and that the threaded actuator arm was better on 1.8T ( 20 V ) compared to the newer 2.0 TFSI engine.

Vacuum is used & switched by diverter valve to permit secondary safety boost pulses.
In an 1.8T ( 20 V ) boost is always diverted to WG spring and blocked by N75 to permit WG closed by spring tension
and boost increased by this method of N75 recirculating boost to turbo at T connection.
The spring strength of the wastegate actuator is also equally Important to hold exhaust to turbine up be spun and permit boost build.
:thumbs: Good explanation !

Actual boost & requested boost in addition to duty cycle of the N75 controls the WG
and can be logged in 0x01-08-115 & to surmise the deviation being +/-

:thumbs: I will look into this and try to make a log of my car.

Set the wastegate actuator up as factory designed, test it and then log it with VCDS.
Did you know you can log it now too in VCDS ?
:thumbs: OK, but what is the factory specified numbers ?
No, I was not aware of that I can log it with VCDS.

Generic Example on how to adjust the wastegator actuator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=p12g1PpIcjE
:thumbs: Great video !
Then the question is how do I check that my wastegate actuator spring has not lost its tension ? :confused:
And how many turns should I preload the wastegate spring ? :confused:

Last edited:
Back