Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.8T ( 20 V. ) Fault codes but no MIL light... ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question 1.8T ( 20 V. ) Fault codes but no MIL light... ?

Hi !
    During the last two weeks, the family has been on a car holiday in Europe.
    We have driven about 8000 Km and before departure I checked error codes, but there were none.
    Now I checked error codes again and now there are these:
    Can someone explain in understandable terms what the problem is ?
    No MIL.

Car: Audi A4 1.8T Avant Quattro ( "B6/B7" )
    Engine code: BFB

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

All fault codes are intermittent. Haven't influence on drive-ability. You can clear faults, if You wish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No MIL because problems are "Intermittent". This means the problem was detected during one at least one drive cycle, but not the current one.

How many miles are on this car?

See:
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...3/P0299/000665

And maybe you have the front lambda sensor going bad.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    OP In addition to the fine gentlemen's aforementioned comments.........

Yeah I'm thinking weak WG spring on that turbo is pretty common on this too, no?

Ditto on the OXS sensor too, is indeed a dog pile in the yard on the heaters for some type of sporadic connectivity, no?

I would check FP output volume and FPR because it was indeed a problem on these cars too, no?

You may find use of this thread.......

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...umble-Mechanic
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    No MIL because problems are "Intermittent".
    This means the problem was detected during one at least one drive cycle, but not the current one.

Maybe you have the front lambda sensor going bad.

How many miles are on this car ?
    ~207000 Km ---> ~128600 Miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking weak WG spring on that turbo is pretty common on this too, no ?

Ditto on the OXS sensor too, is indeed a dog pile in the yard on the heaters for some type of sporadic connectivity, no ?

I would check FP output volume and FPR because it was indeed a problem on these cars too, no ?
    I have no idea if the "BFB" engine usually have weak WG spring.

The FPR is built into the fuel filter.
    ( Fuel filter is just year old. )

Since we travelled across Germany I had the opportunity to run flat out for long periods.
    In Germany I filled her up with the best possible fuel that money can buy over here in Europe 102 RON Octane
    ...but I think the car has very poor top speed: 205 Km/h ---> 127,4 mph
    Tire: 235/40 x 18"

This is my Turbo:
    Last edited by 2stroke; 08-21-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my Turbo:

VAG sometimes it well........
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    VAG sometimes it well........
    ??? ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you read the links?

Post Thanks / Like

Question 1.8T ( 20 Valve )

The video doesn't address the heart of the matter & which is a stupid design flaw!

Turbo chargers changed due to P0299 code.......... is lack of experience in correcting an issue, verse just changing it with the same shit part!

My favorite fail in the repair industry!

If you run into a turbo charger that exhibits this stupid condition, do the following in the car first!
    Do not change the turbo charger further being a moron wasting money!

Cut the waste-gate rod close to the actuator air motor, than leaving about 13MM of rod.
    Remove air motor and bench....

Now the rod swings down limp and can be threaded with a socket die in the car carefully.
    Now thread the other side on bench.

Now that you have threaded both, cut the rod in the car about 10 MM with a straight air saw or manually & with a nut already on the threads to guide you and used as a reverse chase to clean the threads.

Now install a nut on the air motor and in the car with actuator air motor unsecured still & install a coupling nut and tighten it, further shorting the distance by 2 MM approximately or until spring pull tension is achieved to seal the WG valve.

Now tighten the jam nuts against the coupling nut.

Takes about 15 minutes for a pro and about an hour for a guy that never did it.
    Parts add up to the hardware store or Wurth supplier + tools you should already have in your box or will soon add.

The whole issue is really just a weak spring due to being in a high heat transition location for induced wear!

If you don't do this with a new turbo charger & while it's still on the bench, you have my permission to consider yourself an idiot!

I should add that the same can be achieved by slotting the mounting holes of the WG actuator air motor and pulling it back to make a tighter basic setting position. ( Works like 90% of the time )

Now a cheap ass fix at a total of "30 seconds" is to add an external spring, from lever at charger; to a bracket of your choice & to stiffen the hold of the WG valve that is currently weak!

Just look at any old 1.8T had a threaded setting on the WG air motor .......just add one![I][B]

// Jack.
    Jack
    What about a 1.8T ( 20 Valve ) engine with P0299 code ?
    As you know the wastegate actuator on the 1.8T is mechanically controlled/activated.
    Please explain in understandable terms how to solve this.

Quote Originally Posted by hackman162 View Post
    Jack,

It is a little difficult to understand what you are saying.
    Once you get the P0299, the error can be "Fixed" by doing what you recommend ?
    There is a LOT of play in my wastegate.
    How will shortening the rod get rid of this play ?
    Doesn't it have to do with a worn bushing ?
    Forgive my ignorance.
    Since English is not my spoken language I also have a difficulty to understand what Jack say

You can do a few quick things, add a new external WG spring, literally a spring by drilling two small holes or a coupling as aforementioned,
    but if air motor is indeed still good only, most of time it is just weak or rod too long.
    The tension of the spring is the real problem not the bushing.
    Unless you feel or see an exhaust leak trace ?
    How to check the wastegate actuator on a 1.8T ( 20 Valve ) engine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jef View Post
    Jack, could you be as so kind to put together a photo Step-By-Step guide ?
    I also hope that Jack will do this !

Maybe I will take some pictures of what can be done.
    I hope you do.
    Since English is not my spoken language I have some difficulties to understand

Well if exhaust isn't leaking out of it and I have not seen one yet that couldn't be fixed unless the turbo was just plain bad from oil seals/impeller.
    My opinion from statistics I have seen and reports back that I saved people a ton of money & they didn't have in letters emails and treats that I love, but certainly don't need showing here .

I am right and the play is fine in bushing & as long as the hole seals and the spring is to correct hold tension.
    No, I have no exhaust gas leak.
    Last edited by 2stroke; 08-23-2019 at 03:04 AM.