05 A6 headlight replacement

funnyguy595

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235655
As the title states, I have an 05 A6 with the self leveling headlights. The wiring inside the headlight housing is shorting out and causing the light to come on for malfunctioning headlights. The lens are also fogged and I would like to replace both units. I do not want to to pay close to $800 a side for lights and I can't seem to locate suitable replacements in the aftermarket world. I stumbled across a tread on here that talked about recoding the software to allow for a non leveling headlight assembly. Can this be done? I do not need the leveling option and would prefer to omit it from the vehicle if possible. I'm sick of looking at the light icon flashing on my instrument cluster. Thanks for the help,
Steve

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm not aware of any way to do that.

Have you looked on eBay for used headlights?

Hazed lenses can be polished up easily enough.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It's not that many tracks, how about strip light and completely rewire it and than polish it?

Reactions: Uwe

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Oh the phone calls we've had from mobile techs at the body shop where the insurance company INSISTED on aftermarket crap. If you go with aftermarket parts, I'd make sure they have an iron clad guarantee that they will work and a solid return policy. I think I would rather roll the dice on used parts and clean them up.

But lets start with the free stuff... can you please post an Auto-Scan?

dafrazi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=173774
I've saw a thread somewhere, I think on Audiworld, where a guy rewired his headlights. I tried to rewire the headlights on mine '06 S6 but failed since the wiring fell apart (insulation turned to dust and the breaks in the wires were too numerous to track what went where) as I disassembled and I wasn't able to find a wiring diagram for the inside of the light. You might be able to find one now. I think there's only 6 or 7 wires in the headlight.

dafrazi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=173774
I was trying to fix before getting rid of the car. I could have done it by trial and error, but it wasn't worth my effort.

funnyguy595

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235655
After much searching a found a set at a local junk yard that were in good condition. I polished them up and they look great so far. If this happens again(which I'm sure it will), I'll rewire them. Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Nothing wrong with improvisation to save money when done safely using used parts huh?

Now you can compare old lights to these good working used ones and rewire the old ones and establish your own metered test conditions, no?

Reactions: Uwe
Back