Status
Not open for further replies.

dhbpac

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=234854
Just bought a 2006 Audi A6 Avant, will be getting VCDS in the near future. Being a former embedded computer engineer, I always believe that less is more.

Having said that, I'm looking to buy a laptop dedicated to VCDS and see some good prices on several XP systems with USB 2.0.

Seeing as how Microsoft has dropped XP support, will you guys continue to support your product on the Xp platform - at least for the next, say, 5 years or so?

Thanks!

-Doug Brown

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's very difficult to predict. We don't really drop support for older Windows versions until it becomes excessively painful for us to build stuff that still runs on them. E.g. we dropped support for Windows 95/98/Me with version 10.6 because newer versions of Visual Studio didn't build code that ran on those anymore without some really annoying work-arounds.

-Uwe-

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
I know earlier versions were made with Visual Studio (VB) I still use it and all my apps work on all versions of Windows from 95 up.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
IMO it isn't just about OS support, keep in mind that the machine you're likely to purchase here will also have to be sufficient enough hardware wise for the next years. In all fairness, many of the cheap XP laptops out there are OK for now but the newer the models become the more power VCDS needs to work on them as well. So far the customers with the most "odd" issues in support, are as far as I can tell those with old(er) PC hardware.

jbugj

Reaction score
I didn't notice this answered anywhere...but If I buy VCDS (I currently have a laptop with Vista) and get a new laptop, can the product be moved to the new laptop? If so, what is the process?

Thanks.

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Welcome to the forum. ;)

I used VCDS on my old Vista 32bit laptop no problem, you just install the current version.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I didn't notice this answered anywhere...but If I buy VCDS (I currently have a laptop with Vista) and get a new laptop, can the product be moved to the new laptop? If so, what is the process?
The full (non-Lite) version of VCDS can be used on any PC you wish. The license data ("activation") for it is stored in the interface that you buy from us (or one of our resellers) and VCDS reads it from the interface when you connect to a car.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back