Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 Jetta S ABS ESP lights on Brake light flashing

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SamV View Post
    That sounds correct, software update didn't replace the ABS. I'll check my paperwork.

Best explanation I've heard. It's above my paygrade.
    Your dealer also has the "paperwork" you can give them a nice call.

"To help correct this defect, your authorized Volkswagen dealer will update the ABS control
    module software with improved diagnostic capability to detect insufficient PCU ground
    connection. ABS modules with insufficient ground connections will be replaced. The
    software update will take less than an hour to complete; if the ABS module requires
    replacement, this work can take up to a full day to complete. The recall repair will be
    performed for you free of charge.
    Should there ever be an issue with the ABS control module after the new software is
    installed, an authorized Volkswagen dealer will cover replacement of the ABS control
    module if certain, specific fault codes are present at the time of diagnosis.
    Please be aware that other conditions (unrelated to the issue described in this letter) may
    cause the ABS system warning light in your vehicle to illuminate. Customers should be
    prepared to cover diagnosis and repair costs associated with these other, unrelated
    conditions."

Almost all the info you need is here https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...6V913-6522.pdf

2. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe, SamV liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not like you are asking the OEM to do any more than what they promised & before trying to make you part with your money first ignoring this obligation, is that right OP?

Do you have an estimate invoice in writing showing the dealer tried to sell this to you and say it was not under warranty, if so shouldn't you get this & post for other Forum members?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

4. Likes Uwe, SamV liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So week ago Friday I took the car in to my local VW Dealer with the paperwork from VW about the recall and the invoice from when this dealer did the Software update in Feb 2017. The Service Manager was pretty set that the update was the fix and I'd be paying for a new ABS system, until I showed him in black and white where it says that if the warning re-appears even after the software update and certain fault codes are recorded VW will replace free of charge. So since i knew what the fault codes were (Thanks @MVB)I was more than happy to have them look into it and if it turned out by some fluke it wasn't covered I was ready to pay for that too.

I dropped the car off in the morning and got a phone call saying it was my ignition switch, they didn't have one and would have to order it and can't get it till Monday and the car was ready I asked if i could order one now, no but you can order one when you pick up your car. When I picked it up the person covering the service desk was confused, invoice/paperwork wasn't clear on what exactly was done so she called the Service Manager who told her the problem was my ignition switch and no charge which she was surprised at. Now It was "possible" that the ignition switch was causing the ABS fault, it was where I was going to start, but highly unlikely.

So today I replaced the Ignition switch with a VW one from FCP Euro. I cleared the DTC codes and took it for a test drive. The Intermittent faults from the Ignition switch are gone! Yay, small victories. But Guess which fault and warning lights came right back when I drove away.....ABS

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is someone here you aforementioned OP, kicking the can down the road to circumvent a responsibility?
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

8. Likes SamV liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I contacted VW customer care they opened up a case number with a recommendation to take it back to the dealer.

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SamV View Post
    I contacted VW customer care they opened up a case number with a recommendation to take it back to the dealer.

That is exactly what I was going to suggest you do call CC and tell them safety issue and dealer is dragging their feet........I do not know why as they are not paying for it.

12. Likes SamV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAMV WROTE: I contacted VW customer care they opened up a case number with a recommendation to take it back to the dealer.
    MVB WROTE: That is exactly what I was going to suggest you do call CC and tell them safety issue and dealer is dragging their feet........I do not know why as they are not paying for it.

Maybe they are trying to get paid twice?

14. Likes SamV liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Maybe they are trying to get paid twice?

Would they not be getting paid for the two procedures..............the first being the software update and then the ABS module R&R if found defective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would they not be getting paid for the two procedures..............the first being the software update and then the ABS module R&R if found defective.
    If someone was up to nefarious behavior and wanted to get paid by the consumer & the OEM, wouldn't this fit such a pervasive pattern, no?