Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade of a midline 5K0-953-569-C SWCM to a highline module - which one to use?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Upgrade of a midline 5K0-953-569-C SWCM to a highline module - which one to use?

Hi all, have a 2011 Tiguan (manual gearbox) it needs an upgrade of the SWCM to allow retrofit of a Multi Function Steering Wheel. Using the Ross-Tech list I see that 5K0-953-569-C is a Midline controller, supporting MFD, ACC, but not MFSW. I know I need a highline SWCM however on the Ross-Tech table for the column "Steering Angle Sensor" 5K0-953-569-C shows as "TBD" so I don't know if I should be choosing one that has a "Yes" or a "No" from the Steering Angle sensor column. Anyone upgraded this specific SWCM successfully and which SWCM did you use to replace it? Apologies in advance, I don't have access to a VCDS scan of this vehicle as it's in a different city to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the steering rack. UK being RHD should have at this year ZF3 steering rack with integrated steering angle sensor.

Can't give better answer without seing actual scan.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

3. Likes owdi liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    Depends on the steering rack. UK being RHD should have at this year ZF3 steering rack with integrated steering angle sensor.

Can't give better answer without seing actual scan.
    Thanks golfi_vend. I did get some information from the owner, but not from a VCDS scan, from another diagnostic tool -

44 Steering Assistance
    Part number: 5N0-909-144P
    EPS_ZFLS K1.203
    ECU Coding:0000000
    Serve station code:54412

03 Brake Electronics
    Part number: 5N0-614-109-Q
    J104 C4 450 V253
    Ecu Coding:0031020
    Serve station code:01324

16 Steering 5K0953421BJ
    Hardware version:014
    Software version:0140
    Serial number:201104183001
    FAZTT idenfitication:ATW-00120.04.11P3TC0337
    Revision:FF010040
    Theft Prot.UDS/CAN/ISO15765/LIN 2.0:00.00.01/12.07.00/01.02/12/00.0e.01
    Hardware part number:5K0953569C
    Workshop System Name:J527
    Code:30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by owdi View Post
    Thanks golfi_vend. I did get some information from the owner, but not from a VCDS scan, from another diagnostic tool
    A full unedited VCDS Auto-Scan would be much more help...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    doing same thing on Tiguan,

i have 5K0-953-569-J that is midline and says TBD for Angle sensor but i confirm that it has Sensor and sent to Dana all info so mow is changed
    i bought Highline modul 5K0-953-569-AH same thing regarding Angle sensor info says TBD but this one 100% doesn't have Angle sensor.

so you are in same situation as me.
    to be sure if you have sensor or not you must see coding of SWCM it is Byte0, bit 0

7. Likes owdi, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well 5N racks are APA, and these, at least LHD don't have angle sensor integrated, only external fitted inside of SWCM.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

9. Likes owdi, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petar001 View Post
    doing same thing on Tiguan,

i have 5K0-953-569-J that is midline and says TBD for Angle sensor but i confirm that it has Sensor and sent to Dana all info so mow is changed
    i bought Highline modul 5K0-953-569-AH same thing regarding Angle sensor info says TBD but this one 100% doesn't have Angle sensor.

so you are in same situation as me.
    to be sure if you have sensor or not you must see coding of SWCM it is Byte0, bit 0
    So your original sensor is a "J" which has a "Yes" in the steering angle sensor column, but you are swapping to an "AH" which has a "No" in the steering angle sensor column?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    Well 5N racks are APA, and these, at least LHD don't have angle sensor integrated, only external fitted inside of SWCM.
    So in my case with having a rack "5N0-909-144P" we assume the rack has no sensor and the sensor is integrated in the SWCM, so the original SWCM "5K0-953-569-C" we can assume does have a sensor and so must it's replacement?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by owdi View Post
    So your original sensor is a "J" which has a "Yes" in the steering angle sensor column, but you are swapping to an "AH" which has a "No" in the steering angle sensor column?
    that is not possible, not working

before today
    "J" regarding angle was - TBD: We do not have information on the configuration at the present time.
    so as
    "AH" was same description on Wiki page for angle

so i bought to Upgrade to MFSW but i learned hard way that "AH" doesn't have Angle sensor.

13. Likes owdi, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

The following changes were made after Petar001 sent his feedback:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...722&oldid=8503

I ran searches of our local scans as well and verified his testing matched factory configured scans so the 5K0-953-569-J and 5K0-953-569-AH info should be accurate at this time on the current page.

Generally speaking using the current day direct replacement for the factory installed 16 module is best. The problem is, if the 16 module isn't faulty and you are retrofitting 1) you need to verify that the direct replacement supports the retrofit and 2) need to determine if the cost of new is worthwhile (when compared to getting a used unit with older part number).

In owdi's case it would be significantly easier based on a factory condition VCDS Auto-Scan from this vehicle however all of our scans with HW#5K0 953 569 C are from Golf based cars (1Z/3T/5L/1P) with manual transmissions and ZF3 steering racks so the internal G85 coding is NOT active.

Based on this info 5K0-953-569-C doesn't look like a module that would have been factory installed in a 5N Tiguan with APA rack.

I'll edit the TBAs related to 5K0-953-569-C on the Wiki page based on the MT and ZF3 info above but it would be ideal if you could post the scans and and any error messages when attempting to add Steering Angle Sensor (G85) connected to Steering Wheel Control Module (J527) using VCDS.

15. Likes Uwe, owdi liked this post