P0193 fuel pressure sensor Mk6 TDI

dzubot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374589
I got car back from the dealership. Technician found two faults. P0193 and P0191. I’ve seen the 191 code but seldom. The tech found low fuel levels in the fuel filter canister indicating the fuel pump in the fuel tank is intermittent or not working as it should. They recommend to replace this pump. Also says if this pump has failed in any way that it will not show any codes indicating it has failed.

I’ve ordered one through local shop will install tomorrow myself and report results.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Don't be too disappointed & when that doesn't correct a short to B+ DTC but I'll be here for you when you are ready to play the right way!

What about the boost pump under hood in route to filter assembly?

What is status of return regulation?

Did you sample the rail for metal?

16575/P0191/000401 - Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247): Implausible Signal
Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Possible Causes
High/Low Fuel Pressure implausible
Low Fuel Level or Fuel Tank empty
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) faulty
Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Fuel Tank Level
Check Fuel Pressure
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247)
Check/Replace Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247)
Special Notes
When found in VW Polo (9N) with 1.4l FSI (AXU), check TPI 2009218 which describes a problem with the Fuel Pump.
When found with the Common Rail TDI engine, check for signs of HPFP failure (metal shavings).

Last edited:

dzubot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374589
Yeah I hope i'm not too disappointed! Will let you know tomorrow.

I have been driving the car for 2 months since this issue first started and have burnt through about 10 tanks of gas. Issue started off happing infrequently then got more frequent as time passed, this is not typically how a short would happen, not that i'm used to. I've had wires short on aircraft and you get instant changes, not this slow progression of worse and worse driving conditions. It makes sense the engine is not getting enough fuel, as I have had the car stall on me several times lately while pressing on gas at stop lights, and jerky driving conditions, as though the engine is not getting steady amount of fuel. I really don't think it's an electrical issue at this point as I had a shop check the entire wiring system, they are vw pros. I also checked it myself with no cause for concern.

Yes the list does not indicate anything to do with the pump in the fuel tank but we have tried now everything on this list.

There is NO metal shavings in the system, it has been checked several times, at the vw shop over the last two months and the dealer checked today, i've also checked many times, never any metal shavings in the system.

Hoping this is the fix, then this list of plausible issues for code P0191 needs to include the gas tank lift pump.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I wish you luck anyway......... :p

Let us know if the lift pump module screen has biological's in it?

dzubot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374589
Issue is fixed! Not by a lift pump but because of a bad ground wire.

So to start this issue first started about 2 months ago on the hwy went into limp mode. It progressively got worse, to the point it would not go out of limp mode. During this time I checked the voltage to the sensor multiple times always getting 5v, I even checked it couple days ago and saw 5v but today I checked it again just for the fun of it, only getting .6v. So I hooked up a temporary ground and the voltage jumped to 5v. I've installed a new permanent ground to the sensor and no more limp mode or P0193/P0191 code!!

Pretty insane that this took 4 visits to volkswagen shops, $2k of parts, and in the end cost me maybe $1 in parts to solve. I hope this helps someone else out there.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've installed a new permanent ground to the sensor and no more limp mode or P0193/P0191 code!!

KlibAVn.gif

Well, the ECU thinks this is an electrical problem with the fuel pressure sensor, or the associated wiring, so...
-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
LOL and you thought we were fucking with you huh OP?

If you would of opened your mind a while back & listened to well great responses before I even entered, things would of been fixed a long time ago, huh?

Don't you think you should sue who tested and changed shit that didn't need replacing?

Yup this is FOD!

Last edited:

KyleG47

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=421375
Hi,

Sorry for bringing up an old post.

I have the exact same issue with mine P0193 - short to plus.

I tested the wires inside the fuel pressure sensor (sensor removed, and probed the inside pins) and the results are below

Wires -
1 (left wire, green/brown colour) is 0.01v
2 (middle wire, yellow/red colour) is 5.68v
3 (right wire, red/blue colour) is 5.02v

Does this indicate a fault with the wiring or did I teet incorrectly?

Many thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I tested the wires inside the fuel pressure sensor (sensor removed, and probed the inside pins) and the results are below
Checking for voltage alone is not a proper test of wires. Do you have a wiring diagram?

-Uwe-

KyleG47

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=421375

daashmor

Reaction score
I have been battling this same issue. Recently purchased a 2014 Passat TDI 2.0 with around 51k miles. After driving it for close to 500 miles the light came on and I start researching and troubleshooting.

I started off simple with a new fuel filter realizing it was likely not going to fix anything but wanted to check for metal or debris. Filter was dirty but no metal found.

Then I replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor. I pulled the fuel rail out since I couldn’t get any tools on the sensor while it was in the car. Also, further reassured me since I found no metal in the rail when I cleaned it up. The intermittent issue persisted with the code popping when it so chooses.

I then added the new ground to the sensor but still spliced it into the harness, issue persisted. Thinking I may have created a ground loop, isolated the new ground just to the sensor. Still getting the blinking glow plug and P0193 code. I have half assed checked the harness and plan to look deeper once time allows. I was able to record the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor trace along with the Commanded Fuel Rail Pressure. When the code comes on, the sensor reading is 200,000kpa steady while the commanded pressure is around 115,000kpa when accelerating (limited due to limp mode). Screenshot attached. If I drive for a while (less than a mile) the sensor starts showging good values again and an engine restart clears the code. If I restart while the value is 200,000kpa, then the code get locked and CEL gets illuminated.

Most of the time the code comes on when the engine is cool and code is active before engine starts. So a cold start in the morning, if I press the start button without cranking it is already active. It has come on a few times while driving. Seen in the second orange peak in the trace.

So, what does the sensor reading max (200,000kpa) likely indicate? A short in the harness crossing over or still a bad ground? Or complete lack of signal getting to the computer?

I unplugged the sensor this morning, ignition on, engine not running, and the trace did not change.

YGks5Yb.jpg

daashmor

Reaction score
LOL and you thought we were fucking with you huh OP?

If you would of opened your mind a while back & listened to well great responses before I even entered, things would of been fixed a long time ago, huh?

Don't you think you should sue who tested and changed shit that didn't need replacing?

Yup this is FOD!
Jack, not sure how if you get notified of this post. Trying a reply to get some advice on my previous post if you are still into helping. Or anyone that has some advice.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Jack, not sure how if you get notified of this post.
Jack is no longer with us.

-Uwe-

daashmor

Reaction score
Jack is no longer with us.

-Uwe-
I certainly hate to hear this news. Thanks for letting me know Uwe.

Racer911

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=533658
Guys, sorry to pop up an old thread. I recently had a P0193 DTC on my VW Polo Sedan 1.5 TDI. Logic says the fuel pressure sensor is malfunctioning. Sure enough the pressure readings were off the charts. For a few hours, turning off the engine, and restarting it would solve the issue, the fuel pressure readings back to normal but it would again go off the charts after a couple of minutes (random, sometimes seconds) and immediately if the RPMs rose to boost pressure range. I checked the sensor via multimeter, method shown on youtube to judge the sensor using resistance between 2 terminals and the socket coming to the sensor. voltage between positive and ground +5v, seemed alright. Now according to the tutorial followed, the resistance values on probing the fuel rail pressure sensor terminals, it was out of range and so I concluded the sensor may need replacement. But after replacing the sensor, no change. The pressure readings dont change, and in fact they are stuck at an out of range value like when the sensor is disconnected.

First noob question, does the fuel pressure sensor need to be coded like the fuel injectors? if yes, then its a relief as that is something I havent done and also currently dont know how to do. if No, then I guess I'll have to be prepared to fall down the rabbit hole like all the others.

Racer911

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=533658
The VW authorized dealers in my country have a reputation of being notorious to replace parts that are not required and/or simply misdiagnosing the issue causing the customer to spend thousands in parts that didnt require replacement in the first place. The dealer says the issue is with the 3 pin push connector that connects to the fuel pressure sensor, and if after replacing the socket the problem doesn't go away, then the entire fuel rail will need replacement which is very expensive. The connector apparently costs 2.2K INR and the fuel rail is 25K INR. They're not even talking about the fuel pressure sensor being possibly faulty, because of which I got my car back from for once because although in limp mode its usable for now, no major engine starting issues. just that the power output is severely limited. I want to be sure of the possible problem before spending all that money.

Back