Where to connect power and CAN with lane assist?

Flashded

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm trying to connect the 3Q0 camera. I got wires from aliexpress: aliexpress.com/item/32832312716.html

I have two problems:
1. I can't put a power wire into the back of the fuse box. How it should be done? It doesn't go deep enough. Moreover, I found out that I don't have a power wire for the socket 18 (SC18) for the second leg of the fuse in the box. Why is that?
ezgif-2-b1950df6e964.gif

2. In my case, the diagnostic can bus connector's 7 and 17 pins already are busy. ELSA says it also used for side assist (I have it) and other options. Then what's the best way to connect the camera to it?
ezgif-2-40b168441ac3.jpg

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
1. In the product description, it says this wiring set is for the MQB platform but from your past forum topic, you have a PQ platform vehicle. This means the fusebox wire pin is different and this wire won't fit. At this point, I'd cut the pin off the wire, find a suitable battery live fuse position (usually SC15), remove the fuse and add the circuit to that pin, either by soldering to the wire behind the fusebox or adding a "add a fuse". If you decide to go for option 1, don't forget to replace the fuse.

2. This wiring set has a Y-splitter you connect between your CAN gateway pins 7 and 17 and the existing wires inside said pins. Disconnect the plug from the gateway, remove it's red or blue outer casing, remove the terminals from pin 7 and 17, connect said pins to the connector that came with the wiring kit and connect the wiring kit pins to gateway plug pins 7 and 17. Don't mix up the wire colors ;) Of course reinstall the plug's outer casing.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
edit : ok, you have Passat B8 which is already MQB.

You can find suitable connection points behind the A pillar kick plate. Just remove the bonnet open handle and the plastic cover. Then lift up the driver's kick plate and you'll see three connectors. One of the has KL15 (black-green) and extended CAN (orange/black and orange/brown). There's also a grounding spot there you can use.

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192

You can find suitable connection points behind the A pillar kick plate. Just remove the bonnet open handle and the plastic cover. Then lift up the driver's kick plate and you'll see three connectors. One of the has KL15 (black-green) and extended CAN (orange/black and orange/brown). There's also a grounding spot there you can use.

Check out this thread -> https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?19376-Considering-Lane-Assist-for-Passat-2016-B8

There is no MQB Passat B8 in the US of A - there's only the Passat NMS, which is on the PQ platform. I had suggested this wiring kit as an example but I didn't count on the OP actually ordering it but who said retrofits have to be plug and play :)

Reactions: Uwe

Flashded

Reaction score
1. In the product description, it says this wiring set is for the MQB platform but from your past forum topic, you have a PQ platform vehicle. This means the fusebox wire pin is different and this wire won't fit. At this point, I'd cut the pin off the wire, find a suitable battery live fuse position (usually SC15), remove the fuse and add the circuit to that pin, either by soldering to the wire behind the fusebox or adding a "add a fuse". If you decide to go for option 1, don't forget to replace the fuse.

2. This wiring set has a Y-splitter you connect between your CAN gateway pins 7 and 17 and the existing wires inside said pins. Disconnect the plug from the gateway, remove it's red or blue outer casing, remove the terminals from pin 7 and 17, connect said pins to the connector that came with the wiring kit and connect the wiring kit pins to gateway plug pins 7 and 17. Don't mix up the wire colors ;) Of course reinstall the plug's outer casing.

Thank you!
1. That's very sad. I didn't think that finding power will be a problem. Soldering is almost impossible in those conditions. I guess I'll go for an "add fuse" even though it's not a robust solution in my opinion.
2. How didn't I get it earlier? Thank you!

I forgot the third point:
3. This wire has two very long cables for ACC, because of the controller under the hood. Should I connect them to the controller? ELSA's electrical diagram for my car says that I don't have to do it.

And, yes, accordingly to ELSA I have a Passat NMS even though I don't know what platform it is.
As a result, this solution:

Won't work, right?

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192

Flashded

Reaction score
3. This is what is politely called an adenoid surgery through end rear end

I believe this joke will get only people from CIS (Soviet Unions countries) :)

The Y-splitter connects to the CAN gateway directly. See this post for CAN gateway access -> https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5517617-Adding-OPS&p=80202340&viewfull=1#post80202340

All Passat NMS-es are PQ35 platform.

MQB platform is vastly different in module layout and won't work for you.

Thank you! Now, it sounds like it's a bad thing do not have an MQB platform :)

I guess I didn't get it. So if I have a Y-split connection to the CAN gateway, then I don't need to use these two additional wires to ACC?

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
I believe this joke will get only people from CIS (Soviet Unions countries) :)
Well, you did get it so it served it's purpuse :)

Thank you! Now, it sounds like it's a bad thing do not have an MQB platform :)

I guess I didn't get it. So if I have a Y-split connection to the CAN gateway, then I don't need to use these two additional wires to ACC?
As you've told in your older thread, the patient is a SE /w Technology Pack, which has ACC from the factory? If yes, these CAN wires are still needed for the ACC radar to function. Re-read point 2 of my first post here.

Flashded

Reaction score
Well, you did get it so it served it's purpuse :)

I got it because I know this idiom in Russian :)

As you've told in your older thread, the patient is a SE /w Technology Pack, which has ACC from the factory? If yes, these CAN wires are still needed for the ACC radar to function. Re-read point 2 of my first post here.

Yes, that's correct. Sorry for the confusion. The car already has ACC, and it works herefore connected to these pins. I understand that we need these wires. My question is related to the cable from Aliexpress. It has two additional wires for ACC as well. Either they are necessary for cases when someone wants to add ACC altogether with the camera or, for some reason, the camera should be directly connected to the ACC, going around the CAN Gateway. I don't know why the last point could be possible, but I'm trying to understand why does Aliexpress cable has these two ACC wires.

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Care to make a picture of the wiring in question?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Check out this thread -> https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?19376-Considering-Lane-Assist-for-Passat-2016-B8

There is no MQB Passat B8 in the US of A - there's only the Passat NMS, which is on the PQ platform. I had suggested this wiring kit as an example but I didn't count on the OP actually ordering it but who said retrofits have to be plug and play :)

Ahaa... That I didn't know.

The wiring kit should still be fine. And I'm 100% sure there's a connection point in the drivers side foot area behind the A pillar lower cover and plastic door sill. It's a 5 minute job to check.
Not sure if you have extended can there but you should be able to tap to a power. Most likely easier than dismantling half the dashboard to get access to behind the fuse box :)

Edit : But the camera 99.9% is not compatible. You need to get 3AA camera as it's older platform car.

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Edit : But the camera 99.9% is not compatible. You need to get 3AA camera as it's older platform car.
Eeeh, this is not the case.

PQ cars got 3Q0980654 cameras around May 2015. If you have ETKA, you can check and see for yourself.

Flashded

Reaction score
Care to make a picture of the wiring in question?

I went to Aliexpress to get a picture from there and found out that I have a slightly different cable. That's why all the confusion came from.

This is the specific order that I made: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32840151596.html
And on the pictures, it doesn't have these two additional wires which I'm talking about. If we go down in the comments, some people put photos with these wires. Here is one of them:

UTB8BmATvVPJXKJkSahVq6xyzFXaK.jpg

I was talking about these two wires on the very left. They are very long, and it goes to ACC (accordingly to ELSA in some VW models).

Flashded

Reaction score
And I'm 100% sure there's a connection point in the drivers side foot area behind the A pillar lower cover and plastic door sill. It's a 5 minute job to check.

Thank you! And, sorry, but I still don't get what point are you talking about. Any pictures would be great!

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
I should have thought of this earlier - the orange/white and orange/brown twisted pair is for MQB cars where the front camera and ACC radar share a direct connection. This is called Sensor Fusion. Your car doesn't have it so you can tuck those wires away or cut them off.

Flashded

Reaction score
I should have thought of this earlier - the orange/white and orange/brown twisted pair is for MQB cars where the front camera and ACC radar share a direct connection. This is called Sensor Fusion. Your car doesn't have it so you can tuck those wires away or cut them off.

Thank you! I got it. Can you tell me what Sensor Fusion is? Would be I able to add Traffic Jam assist feature?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Most likely but I would guess all the necessary wiring should be there still. VW does not change the basics in the cars that much between platforms.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Eeeh, this is not the case.

PQ cars got 3Q0980654 cameras around May 2015. If you have ETKA, you can check and see for yourself.

Maybe I'm stupid or something but I just couldn't find 3Q0 camera for B7. Looking at year 2015 where it changes from B7 to B8. B7 may has 3AA980654 camera, B8 from May has 3Q0980654. 3C-F100 (B7) and 3C-F200 (B8).

To my understanding the 3Q0 or 5Q0 needs the new gateway module as well. Otherwise the messages coming from the camera are not understood by the gateway.

Back