Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dynamic Chassis Control Retrofit

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    your opinion is more than welcome, could you possibly elaborate?
    my Golf came out of the factory with 13 ECUs. now she has 19. and counting

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    your opinion is more than welcome, could you possibly elaborate?
    My biggest qualm with it is that it's too easy to bottom out.

Maybe I'm Luddite, but I'd rather have a set of Bilsteins.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    My biggest qualm with it is that it's too easy to bottom out.
    This here is a statement which is going to require some follow-up... tell us a story Uwe!
    Silence gives consent.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, I also don't understand what you mean. for the retrofit, I can buy Monroe or Bilstein, they both make a shock which is equivalent to the OEM (which is actually Monroe).

should I prefer Bilstein? if so, why? since both makers are OEM-equivalent, I would not expect any performance difference.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is not the magic some guys talk about. But I like it. 99% of the time I drive in Comfort mode Cruising on the highway. I guess my springs on the back side are a little weaker then standard. The complete set came from a Passat CC and I drive a wagon.

Regarding retrofit. It is straight forward. placing shocks and springs.
    placing levelsensors and accelaration (G) sensors.
    Most of the time is making cable loom (cost me 2 evenings) and connecting all.
    The computer in Passat is placed in the trunk (right side) and wiring is going from back to front.
    Last edited by dieseltje; 08-26-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Passat B6 2.0 TDI CR DSG Tuned by Cardrik Tuning

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    This here is a statement which is going to require some follow-up... tell us a story Uwe!
    Well, part of the problem is that roads in Philly suck. I had two hard bottoming events in the front during a tour of the city that I gave Niels earlier this year. I've had a few in other places before, but I don't recall the details. You would think with all the fanciness of level and acceleration sensors, it would be more resistant to bottoming than a conventional setup, but it isn't. If I were driving this car on those roads regularly, I think I would try putting taller springs on it; turn it into something of a modern Golf CountRy.

-Uwe-

PS: It would probably also help if I got rid of the overweight 19" factory wheels and replaced them with lighter 18" or even 17" ones. Unsprung weight is the enemy.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes dieseltje liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    yeah, I also don't understand what you mean. for the retrofit, I can buy Monroe or Bilstein, they both make a shock which is equivalent to the OEM (which is actually Monroe).

should I prefer Bilstein? if so, why? since both makers are OEM-equivalent, I would not expect any performance difference.
    I don't know it it's true for the Mk.7, but for previous generations of cars, Bilstein always had a series of shocks that were (IMO) considerably better than OEM.

-Uwe-

9. Likes dieseltje liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to have a more comfort suspension system for my Sharan: soft damping 99% of the time, but keep car chassis stable during corner or street bump.
    Do you think that doing a DCC retrofit really worth its value, and meet my expectation?

Regards.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dualamd View Post
    I would like to have a more comfort suspension system for my Sharan: soft damping 99% of the time, but keep car chassis stable during corner or street bump.
    Do you think that doing a DCC retrofit really worth its value, and meet my expectation?

Regards.
    Find someone with same car that does have DCC and do test drive.
    Passat B6 2.0 TDI CR DSG Tuned by Cardrik Tuning

12. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the shocks (Monroe, OEM branded), so the retrofit will happen. I found a deal for the four pieces and I could not resist.

I don't know if I will install them in december, most probably will be end of may 2020. will update the thread at some point.

14. Likes dieseltje liked this post