Laptop requirements

Tj0754

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313219
My old laptop died so tried to download vcds in to my step sons Lenovo notebook and would not work, is there any certain requirements that vcds need in a laptop/notebook

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Pretty much any semi-modern Windows machine should work.

Tell us about this Lenovo. The exact model number would be a good start. CPU, RAM, version of Windows?

Also, "would not work" is not a very good problem description. Can you provide more details please?

-Uwe-

rlarsen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78998
I have only found one type of laptop that doesn't work - my company laptop - because they have disabled the USB ports, for non approved devices.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There's a new thing now that looks dicey:

There are some new Windows machines being sold with ARM architecture CPUs. One example is the Samsung Galaxy Book2. It looks like the run x86 programs (like VCDS) via some sort emulation or "translation", which is of course far from optimal, and based on feedback from one customer, it seems there are also problems installing drivers for our "legacy" interfaces.

A bit of searching reveals that Lenovo has also produced some machines like that as well, for example the Yoga C630.

Machines like this are "unsupported" for the time being.

-Uwe-

Tj0754

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313219
Yeah it was
One of them yoga laptop@
/ tablet things I’m probably going to get something cheap 2nd hand like a up notebook

Tj0754

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313219
So I want any laptop with a windows os and a intel processor not one of the ARM ones

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So I want any laptop with a windows os and a intel processor not one of the ARM ones
Intel or AMD.

I would still like to know exactly which Lenovo model it was. The "Yoga" name has been around for quite a few years, and most of them work just fine (because they have Intel or AMD processors).

-Uwe-

Tj0754

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313219
I think it was the yoga 2 tbh I also got him to try to download a workshop manual to it and that wouldn’t work either

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924

One more caveat, Ross-Tech no longer recommends PCs with a single core Intel Atom processor. In my experience a single core Atom CPU actually works OK for autoscans and fault clearing, it even works for most data logging. Where my old single core Atom PC failed regularly was trying to update the firmware in my HEX-NET. I suspect that the same would be true with a HEX-V2. I ended up buying a cheap quad core Atom PC and all is now well.

Have Fun!

Don

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Where my old single core Atom PC failed regularly was trying to update the firmware in my HEX-NET.
I had the same problem with my old (now retired) Acer Atom netbook which only had a single core processor.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
One more caveat, Ross-Tech no longer recommends PCs with a single core Intel Atom processor.
Well, I did say, "semi-modern". I'm not sure a single-core Atom qualifies as such. ;)

-Uwe-

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
Well, I did say, "semi-modern". I'm not sure a single-core Atom qualifies as such. ;)

-Uwe-

I won't argue that point. My only issue is that my old single core Acer has a cool VCDS sticker on it, but it now has very limited use.

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I won't argue that point. My only issue is that my old single core Acer has a cool VCDS sticker on it, but it now has very limited use.
Sounds like we need to get you a new VCDS sticker. ;)

-Uwe-

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Are they a shop item?

VCDS stickers would be cool :cool:

Not sure about stickers but RT do a nice baseball cap - you need to see them at one of the exhibitions :)
DSC_6700.JPG

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Are they a shop item?
Way back when, we used to have "Got VAG-COM?" stickers. Those were very popular.

We should probably get some new stickers made with the current VCDS Logo (the one you see on that hats in the post above).

-Uwe-

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
For what Expo you join ? Locksmith ? ALOA , Just cars ?
I am there every year , and never see RT team
About laptop.... I use Dell 5414 Rugged , also good one is 5404 (older gen )
Or rugged tablet 7202 or 7212

Reactions: Uwe

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Are they a shop item?

Way back when, we used to have "Got VAG-COM?" stickers. Those were very popular.

We should probably get some new stickers made with the current VCDS Logo (the one you see on that hats in the post above).
I've been meaning to replace the +5HP Type RT decal on my Phaeton because it's weathered down to only +2-3HP of gain. But I've only got one left, and I don't have one on my Golf R, and now apparently it's a collector's item. Or maybe it has resale value..? :D

rt-swag-1.jpg

rt-swag-2.jpg

Back