Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop requirements

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Laptop requirements

My old laptop died so tried to download vcds in to my step sons Lenovo notebook and would not work, is there any certain requirements that vcds need in a laptop/notebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much any semi-modern Windows machine should work.

Tell us about this Lenovo. The exact model number would be a good start. CPU, RAM, version of Windows?

Also, "would not work" is not a very good problem description. Can you provide more details please?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have only found one type of laptop that doesn't work - my company laptop - because they have disabled the USB ports, for non approved devices.
    Last edited by rlarsen; 08-04-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    Rene Larsen

Audi A4 Avant 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic MY2009 - sold
    VCDS 19.6.1
    (HEX-V2)

4. Likes PetrolDave, Uwe, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There's a new thing now that looks dicey:

There are some new Windows machines being sold with ARM architecture CPUs. One example is the Samsung Galaxy Book2. It looks like the run x86 programs (like VCDS) via some sort emulation or "translation", which is of course far from optimal, and based on feedback from one customer, it seems there are also problems installing drivers for our "legacy" interfaces.

A bit of searching reveals that Lenovo has also produced some machines like that as well, for example the Yoga C630.

Machines like this are "unsupported" for the time being.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes PetrolDave, Dana, Somnus liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah it was
    One of them yoga laptop@
    / tablet things I’m probably going to get something cheap 2nd hand like a up notebook

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I want any laptop with a windows os and a intel processor not one of the ARM ones

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj0754 View Post
    So I want any laptop with a windows os and a intel processor not one of the ARM ones
    Intel or AMD.

I would still like to know exactly which Lenovo model it was. The "Yoga" name has been around for quite a few years, and most of them work just fine (because they have Intel or AMD processors).

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was the yoga 2 tbh I also got him to try to download a workshop manual to it and that wouldn’t work either

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj0754 View Post
    One more caveat, Ross-Tech no longer recommends PCs with a single core Intel Atom processor. In my experience a single core Atom CPU actually works OK for autoscans and fault clearing, it even works for most data logging. Where my old single core Atom PC failed regularly was trying to update the firmware in my HEX-NET. I suspect that the same would be true with a HEX-V2. I ended up buying a cheap quad core Atom PC and all is now well.

Have Fun!

Don

12. Likes Uwe, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
    Where my old single core Atom PC failed regularly was trying to update the firmware in my HEX-NET.
    I had the same problem with my old (now retired) Acer Atom netbook which only had a single core processor.

14. Likes Uwe liked this post