Laptop requirements

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
Way back when, we used to have "Got VAG-COM?" stickers. Those were very popular.

We should probably get some new stickers made with the current VCDS Logo (the one you see on that hats in the post above).

-Uwe-

Maybe some free merchandise, hats stickers for long time licensed users? :)

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
just asking .....

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
just asking .....

Certainly, and no offence meant.
The thing with trade shows is they are surprisingly expensive (costs include travel, accommodation, space rental, stand design & build, power, flyers, freebies, and much more I've forgotten), for little or no immediate gain.

Very few sales are made at trade shows - it's all about brand awareness and making sure people know what you do when they next need something you sell.
If a company exhibits at too many shows in the same region in a year, the costs soon outweigh any positives that being at the shows would bring in the longer term, so it's all about striking a balance.

Shows in Europe will be expensive for Ross-Tech as they have to haul everyone over the Atlantic, so the balance would tip very quickly if they attended more than one show a year in a European country (or even in Europe as a whole!)

Your profile says you're in Poland - your best opportunity would probably be Automechanika in Frankfurt, which happens every other September - the next one is in 2020.

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
Certainly, and no offence meant.
The thing with trade shows is they are surprisingly expensive (costs include travel, accommodation, space rental, stand design & build, power, flyers, freebies, and much more I've forgotten), for little or no immediate gain.

Very few sales are made at trade shows - it's all about brand awareness and making sure people know what you do when they next need something you sell.
If a company exhibits at too many shows in the same region in a year, the costs soon outweigh any positives that being at the shows would bring in the longer term, so it's all about striking a balance.

Shows in Europe will be expensive for Ross-Tech as they have to haul everyone over the Atlantic, so the balance would tip very quickly if they attended more than one show a year in a European country (or even in Europe as a whole!)

Your profile says you're in Poland - your best opportunity would probably be Automechanika in Frankfurt, which happens every other September - the next one is in 2020.

Know that ... doing this over 4 years and know exactly what you thinking

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------

And yet, they are the most effective way to reach the largest audience with information about what you do and how you do it. The biggest bang for the bucks spent can be reeled in when promotion of the event is done via direct Postal, periodical and direct web marketing prior to the show. People need to see your name and product 7 times before they will even give it a second thought. (not my statistics but statistics I have read from others.)

Indeed. We go into shows - not expecting direct sales but knowing that the brand awareness is increased by our presence.

Shows in Europe are the most expensive for Ross-Tech. We do the AAPEX show in Las Vegas, NV, USA every year. We do the Automechanika Frankfurt every two years. We have participated in 3 shows in China. We have a good sense of what it takes to do these events. Euro is by far the most expensive - 33% more than the next most expensive - Las Vegas...

We will continue to be present in some large events around the world and as I did with Gendan, if our distribs are participating in a show and would like RT support, a request can be made and we may send representation. I enjoyed meeting the people in the trades at the Birmingham Show. I found Mike and Grant from Gendan to be exceptional in their presentation of options for the prospects. They did an outstanding job in their stand. They did not need me there but I was pleased to work alongside them.

By the way, I did then go on to Warsaw and to Biaystok Poland where I spent several days with our Polish distributor. Wow it was hot in Poland in June! Not as hot as Philly, but it was hot!

quattrohead

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=15845
I am finding my Dell laptop with 17" screen a bit much inside my TT, so hopefully going to snag a unit like this one.
Dell Latitude E6220 Intel i5-2540M 4GB RAM 250GB HDD Windows 7 Pro 12" screen

Reactions: Uwe

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
I've used many different sized laptops in different cars and the least cumbersome was a 1st gen Microsoft Surface Pro (or any other tablet for that matter). Even normal 12" class laptops were'nt great nor terrible.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yeah, bigger is not better for working inside a car. :thanks:

Somnus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=215931
I have to agree with siLc on the Surface Pro. I have a Surface Pro 6 and it is fantastic for VCDS (besides the price point)

As far as requirements go, I have VCDS on a 7 year old HP laptop and it still works wonderfully, as long as I don't ask it to do a whole car adaptation map :D

Reactions: Uwe

larsmate

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=315251
I'm guessing my new Surface Pro X (ARM) with USB C ports isn't going to happen with VCDS?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm guessing my new Surface Pro X (ARM) with USB C ports isn't going to happen with VCDS?
ARM CPUs seem to be a problem at present. I really don't understand why Microsoft thought using a CPU with a totally different architecture was a good idea.

-Uwe-

dgp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380715
I’m about to pull the trigger on this HP, will these specs be ok?
I will have to update the Windows 10 S to standard Windows to run the Ross-Tech software, but that is no cost.
For anyone in Australia, these are at a Harvey Norman for $376 on special.

Model HP LAPTOP 14S-DK0087
Processor Brand AMD
Processor Type A4
Processor Model 9125
Processor Speed (GHz) 2.30
Processor Max Speed (GHz) 2.6
Cache Size (MB) 1
Installed RAM 4GB
RAM Configuration 1 x 4GB
RAM Type DDR4
Primary Storage Capacity 128GB
Storage Type SSD
GPU Chipset Manufacturer AMD
GPU Chipset Radeon R3
Wireless Networking IEEE 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.2
Battery Type Lithium Ion
AC Power Adapter 45W AC Power Adapter
Connectivity 1x USB 3.1 (Type-C, Gen 1), 2x USB 3.1 (Type A, Gen1), HDMI 1.4b, RJ45
Operating System Windows 10 S

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I’m about to pull the trigger on this HP, will these specs be ok?
Yeah, it should be OK.

You'll need to switch Windows out of "S" mode into "Home" mode.

-Uwe-

Back