Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105353
Hello, I have a 2000 Audi S8 which has an immobiliser 3 system. The instrument cluster has failed, meaning it will not power up when cold and the vehicle will not start. I have tried getting it repaired but apparently it is un-repairable. I tried getting a second hand dash coded but could find no one that could do this, including Audi who wouldn't even try. Now I don't think trying to code a second hand dash is going to work and a new dash is not an option due to being nearly £2000! My question is if I were to get a second hand dash, engine ECU and keys from a fully working coded vehicle and put them in my vehicle, is there any reason why this would not work? I know the chassis number would be wrong in the ECU's but I can't see this being a problem. Any thoughts and views would be much appreciated. Thanks. Dave.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
including Audi who wouldn't even try.
Seriously? That's rather lame of that dealer. I would have a talk with Audi customer service or simply try a different dealership.

Yes, in principle if you take the cluster, the ECU, and the key transponder that are all matched to each other from one car and move them to another, they should all continue to play nice in that vintage car. However, having the wrong chassis number in the electronics can be an automatic fail during emissions inspections in some jurisdictions, so you might want to check whether that might be a problem where you are.

Another option would be to gets someone to do an immo defeat on your existing ECU.

-Uwe-

Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105353
Thanks very much for the great advice. I have not heard of any issues with incorrect ECU chassis number being a problem over here in the UK with mot etc, but I will check. Audi have been most unhelpful and refused to even take a look at the car, saying what I was asking for was not possible. The problem I was having with the dash swap is that no one was able to extract the pin, I did try everything! Thanks again for the advice, I shall now search for some second hand parts. Dave.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The problem I was having with the dash swap is that no one was able to extract the pin, I did try everything!
Yeah, but Audi's "mothership" should KNOW the PIN for it.

-Uwe-

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Dave, did you try BBA-Reman as your repai agent?

Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105353
Hello, yes it was BBA-Reman that I used, unfortunately they said the dash did not respond to their repairs, which was a shame. That's the most frustrating bit Uwe, I am a VW master tech and I know if I had access to the Audi Geko system I could code my dash no problem. Just one of those things I suppose!

Reactions: Uwe

dubTECH

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=104757
Dave if you are a vw master tech, then you should know that 2nd hand immo parts cannot be coded ,if the vins are mismatched, by the ODIS system.
But saying that there is other ways round this, one being which you already stated. If you take keys,dash, locks, ecu etc from another vehicle then there's no reason why it won't work.
Dealers here in the uk aren't really much help at all with anything.

Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105353
I know, I was just seeing if anyone knew a way around it. But as you said it is possible just not really with dealer tools (especially ODIS). At least it's not just me that finds dealers not a lot of help!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I guess I've also heard the rumor that ODIS won't let you install used parts. This wasn't a problem with with the older VAS software. Is that blocked from accessing GeKo now?

-Uwe-

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
I have had several cases where dealer could not do immo on Beetle, Lupo, Fox Models, especially with ODIS.

Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105353
ODIS is still full of bugs, especially when it comes to online coding and immobiliser functions. It has also taken a lot of control away from the technician. Lucky, we still have an old 5051B machine which works very well and is also still allowed on the Geko system. This machine has got me out of trouble a few times!

dubTECH

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=104757
ODIS was developed around the UDS protocol on the mk6 platform, hence why it can throw a hissy fit with some of the older stuff! It takes nearly all control away from the technicians (I worked for VAG over 12 years), it used to be great accessing geko for 4 digit pins and doing everything manually..... Security then became an issue so the development of these newer programs started by cutting manual operation out one step at a time! I've the same issue with my own s4, can't extract the pin for the immo box, so I've used an emulator and immo defeat on the engine ecu.

Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105353
It's one of the things that's making being in a dealer not what it used to be. I enjoyed it when I could manually do things and there was always a way around problems, which could be a good challenge. Now it's just a case of contacting technical if ODIS has a fit and says "no" and coding etc is sent that way. Out of interest, who did you get to do your immobiliser defeat?

dubTECH

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=104757
Yeah tell me about it, that's why I now run my own workshop! Lol I contacted technical so many times about codings for retrofits which they wouldn't authorise, that they actually put up a warning on desktop to tell people not to be retrofitting "non-approved" kits. (Yet I fitted all genuine parts, wiring etc and used vcds to obtain codings!)
But to answer your question, I got a local company to immo defeat my ecu, then bought and immo emulator to bypass the immo box.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Hello, I have a 2000 Audi S8 which has an immobiliser 3 system. The instrument cluster has failed, meaning it will not power up when cold and the vehicle will not start. I have tried getting it repaired but apparently it is un-repairable. I tried getting a second hand dash coded but could find no one that could do this, including Audi who wouldn't even try. Now I don't think trying to code a second hand dash is going to work and a new dash is not an option due to being nearly £2000! My question is if I were to get a second hand dash, engine ECU and keys from a fully working coded vehicle and put them in my vehicle, is there any reason why this would not work? I know the chassis number would be wrong in the ECU's but I can't see this being a problem. Any thoughts and views would be much appreciated. Thanks. Dave.
This is very simple to do with VCDS if you have SKC (Pin) form original cluster and new/used cluster. Just search around you who has tool to get SKC.I bet there is many people in Europe has it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back