Thread: Oldest problem in the book...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Oldest problem in the book...

I am doing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, drive belt, etc. on my daughter's 2006 Passat 2.0T.

I have spent almost 2 full days trying to get all six of the crank pulley bolts out. The first three were reasonable, the fourth was difficult. The fifth was a miracle. There is no corrosion, the threads seems perfect, but the bolt heads seem to be buried in the pulley surface. Someone over tightened them?

I am still left with one bolt and have tried everything common sense, plus most of what is on the internet. I even tried welding a second bolt onto the pulley bolt but the recessed location plus the very close proximity to the gear bolt in the center has made good weld penetration impossible.

https://imgur.com/a/UGTPnxX

If any of you professionals out there have a method to offer, I am all ears!

6mm hex center is stripped out
    tried an outside edge bolt extractor but it is now rounded, no more edges to bite with
    tried heating with a torch then allowing to cool

I have not drilled out the center and tried an inner extractor simply because I have had bad luck with them in the past

Thanks,

Greg

PS - I'm glad I don't do this for a living or I would have no money to eat!
    Last edited by Uwe; 07-28-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Added image in-line

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grind the head off and then take the pully off. Once it is off there should be no tension on the bolt and just unwind it with players. You will need a new bolt at this point anyway

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did think of doing that, but with the bolts being recessed quite a bit, I was worried about being able to do it without damaging the pulley.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if you nick the pulley a tad it ain’t the end of the world

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I would try the following way. Put, at least, two adjacent screws to reduce the tension to the damaged screw. Then with LEFT drill, drill bit in center at a low speed.

If this is not acceptable, it is possible to try heating or welding the head of the damaged screw.

6. Likes Uwe, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Presuming it is a M8 bolt, drill into the centre with a 5.5mm bit a short depth (if it is 10mm use an 8mm) , this should release the tension in the bolt and allow you to remove it by hammering a Torx or spline bit into the end.

Steve

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like

Hit above sockets on the thing with hammer and impact it off!

Air chisel 5 seconds done!

or

Mig Weld a nut over top in center and take the dam 19 MM 12 point out of way & BENCH IT!

Might want to see if these will turn it quick too!

Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 08-05-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

9. Likes Uwe, NZDubNurd, PetrolDave liked this post