Thread: Oldest problem in the book...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Oldest problem in the book...

I am doing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, drive belt, etc. on my daughter's 2006 Passat 2.0T.

I have spent almost 2 full days trying to get all six of the crank pulley bolts out. The first three were reasonable, the fourth was difficult. The fifth was a miracle. There is no corrosion, the threads seems perfect, but the bolt heads seem to be buried in the pulley surface. Someone over tightened them?

I am still left with one bolt and have tried everything common sense, plus most of what is on the internet. I even tried welding a second bolt onto the pulley bolt but the recessed location plus the very close proximity to the gear bolt in the center has made good weld penetration impossible.

https://imgur.com/a/UGTPnxX

If any of you professionals out there have a method to offer, I am all ears!

6mm hex center is stripped out
    tried an outside edge bolt extractor but it is now rounded, no more edges to bite with
    tried heating with a torch then allowing to cool

I have not drilled out the center and tried an inner extractor simply because I have had bad luck with them in the past

Thanks,

Greg

PS - I'm glad I don't do this for a living or I would have no money to eat!
    Last edited by Uwe; 07-28-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Added image in-line