Oldest problem in the book...

Gmickey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=354933
I am doing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, drive belt, etc. on my daughter's 2006 Passat 2.0T.

I have spent almost 2 full days trying to get all six of the crank pulley bolts out. The first three were reasonable, the fourth was difficult. The fifth was a miracle. There is no corrosion, the threads seems perfect, but the bolt heads seem to be buried in the pulley surface. Someone over tightened them?

I am still left with one bolt and have tried everything common sense, plus most of what is on the internet. I even tried welding a second bolt onto the pulley bolt but the recessed location plus the very close proximity to the gear bolt in the center has made good weld penetration impossible.

https://imgur.com/a/UGTPnxX
mdJt3am.jpg

If any of you professionals out there have a method to offer, I am all ears!

6mm hex center is stripped out
tried an outside edge bolt extractor but it is now rounded, no more edges to bite with
tried heating with a torch then allowing to cool

I have not drilled out the center and tried an inner extractor simply because I have had bad luck with them in the past

Thanks,

Greg

PS - I'm glad I don't do this for a living or I would have no money to eat! :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
Grind the head off and then take the pully off. Once it is off there should be no tension on the bolt and just unwind it with players. You will need a new bolt at this point anyway

Gmickey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=354933
I did think of doing that, but with the bolts being recessed quite a bit, I was worried about being able to do it without damaging the pulley.

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
Even if you nick the pulley a tad it ain’t the end of the world

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
I would try the following way. Put, at least, two adjacent screws to reduce the tension to the damaged screw. Then with LEFT drill, drill bit in center at a low speed.

If this is not acceptable, it is possible to try heating or welding the head of the damaged screw.

Dino20vt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Presuming it is a M8 bolt, drill into the centre with a 5.5mm bit a short depth (if it is 10mm use an 8mm) , this should release the tension in the bolt and allow you to remove it by hammering a Torx or spline bit into the end.

Steve

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
024721016126.jpg

Hit above sockets on the thing with hammer and impact it off!

Air chisel 5 seconds done!

or

Mig Weld a nut over top in center and take the dam 19 MM 12 point out of way & BENCH IT!

Might want to see if these will turn it quick too!

61EewcB40DL._SX466_.jpg

Last edited:
Back