Change logfile default location

magloman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=2673
Is there any registry entry or so to change default location for saved logs? It is quite annoying to change every time, especially if you have a long and complicated path where you wanna save them in.

If not, is it something you could implement in future version?

I use my laptop and part of my drive is synced with dropbox. I would like to use a folder within that if my computer gets dropped or stolen.

/happy vcds user 10+ years

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Welcome to the forum.

There is nothing in the registry or in VCDS.CFG so it must be hard coded in the exe. Why can't you easily find C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs?

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
There is currently no mechanism in place to change the default logging location, we have something on the wishlist but it's not gonna happen any time soon. There are however a few simply work-arounds available. 1) you can place a shortcut to your desired/standard folder in the /logs/ sub-folder, this will make the number of clicks you will need to change folder a lot smaller. 2) Use symbolic links, a feature available in recent versions of windows.

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
After you have saved the log file and you get the popup showing the location its very annoying to me then when you close that popup it asks you to confirm closing. Your closing the popup not deleting what's been saved, therefore its unnecessary.

magloman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=2673
Welcome to the forum.

There is nothing in the registry or in VCDS.CFG so it must be hard coded in the exe. Why can't you easily find C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs?

because:
I use my laptop and part of my drive is synced with dropbox.

@sebastion: thanks! I was aiming at some solution like symbolic links as next approach :-)

magloman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=2673
After you have saved the log file and you get the popup showing the location its very annoying to me then when you close that popup it asks you to confirm closing. Your closing the popup not deleting what's been saved, therefore its unnecessary.

I agree! It would be really nice if that message could be turned off. It is kinda confusing too, you could easily think it will be lost. Must be very confusing for new users. :S

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Why close it, just minimize it (or leave it), it is protocol log, the remaining work you maybe are doing, is written automatic.
Then when you close VCDS (Esc), bam.. the protocol log is also closed, try it.

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Just have a button to show the log file folder then you either use it or not. Everything you save brings up this annoying popup everytime.

NHN

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63355
Did this ever come to fruition as I'd like to have my log folder cloud based so I dont lose them when I forget to save before doing any pc resets, thanks.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I've been using hardlink some time now. Get's synced to cloud every time files are modified.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Right, and if you aren't opposed to using Microsoft OneDrive you can configure Scans, Logs and Debug to backup those folders.

Reactions: Uwe
Back