Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change logfile default location

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Change logfile default location

Is there any registry entry or so to change default location for saved logs? It is quite annoying to change every time, especially if you have a long and complicated path where you wanna save them in.

If not, is it something you could implement in future version?

I use my laptop and part of my drive is synced with dropbox. I would like to use a folder within that if my computer gets dropped or stolen.

/happy vcds user 10+ years

2. Likes Zenerdiode, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.

There is nothing in the registry or in VCDS.CFG so it must be hard coded in the exe. Why can't you easily find C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs?
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is currently no mechanism in place to change the default logging location, we have something on the wishlist but it's not gonna happen any time soon. There are however a few simply work-arounds available. 1) you can place a shortcut to your desired/standard folder in the /logs/ sub-folder, this will make the number of clicks you will need to change folder a lot smaller. 2) Use symbolic links, a feature available in recent versions of windows.
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

5. Likes magloman, diskoboy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After you have saved the log file and you get the popup showing the location its very annoying to me then when you close that popup it asks you to confirm closing. Your closing the popup not deleting what's been saved, therefore its unnecessary.
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

There is nothing in the registry or in VCDS.CFG so it must be hard coded in the exe. Why can't you easily find C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs?
    because:
    I use my laptop and part of my drive is synced with dropbox.

@sebastion: thanks! I was aiming at some solution like symbolic links as next approach :-)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    After you have saved the log file and you get the popup showing the location its very annoying to me then when you close that popup it asks you to confirm closing. Your closing the popup not deleting what's been saved, therefore its unnecessary.

I agree! It would be really nice if that message could be turned off. It is kinda confusing too, you could easily think it will be lost. Must be very confusing for new users. :S

VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why close it, just minimize it (or leave it), it is protocol log, the remaining work you maybe are doing, is written automatic.
    Then when you close VCDS (Esc), bam.. the protocol log is also closed, try it.

10. Likes Dana, Eric, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just have a button to show the log file folder then you either use it or not. Everything you save brings up this annoying popup everytime.
    New User Keith

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did this ever come to fruition as I'd like to have my log folder cloud based so I dont lose them when I forget to save before doing any pc resets, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using hardlink some time now. Get's synced to cloud every time files are modified.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

14. Likes Dana liked this post