Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: 2010 Passat CC not showing updates in instrument cluster

  1. #11
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OmeRoon View Post
    Still... could be that my iPhone is the reason, maybe something is blocked in newer iPhones that was open when my friend had it working on his (older) iPhone a couple of years ago.
    No stock iPhone supports rSAP and therefore won't support 'Premium BT' or the WiFi hotspot

    It's possible your friend had a jailbroken iPhone as this thread suggests that may make rSAP possible: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...-data-Services

  2. Likes OmeRoon liked this post
  3. #12
    Verified VCDS User OmeRoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by langers2k View Post
    No stock iPhone supports rSAP and therefore won't support 'Premium BT' or the WiFi hotspot

    It's possible your friend had a jailbroken iPhone as this thread suggests that may make rSAP possible: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...-data-Services

    Maybe... I just spoke to him and he wasn't really sure but thought it was a normal iPhone.
    I know rSAP is not an option as Apple does not allow this, but is rSAP really necessary for WiFi? I hoped the Handsfree setting (instead of Premium) would be the "iPhone solution".
    -- VW Passat CC TDI -- VW Corrado VR6 --

  4. #13
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OmeRoon View Post
    but is rSAP really necessary for WiFi?
    In short, yes

    There is basically a car phone inside modules that support 'Premium BT'. By using rSAP, it effectively remove the SIM card from the mobile phone and plugs it into the car phone. This means the mobile phone can no longer connect to the mobile network, cannot make/receive calls/SMS or use data services.

    Most people now use smart phones and need data services (sat nav etc) whilst connected to BT. To 'fix' this, the two latest BT module revisions (3C8...D and E) are able to connect to the mobile network via 3G then create a WiFi hotspot for the mobile phone to connect to, allowing it access to data services again. As the car phone is connecting to the mobile network, it still needs a SIM card and therefore a mobile phone that supports rSAP.

    None of this can work using 'Handsfree BT' as it's a not possible to 'move' the SIM card, leaving the car phone unable to connect via 3G and making a WiFi hotspot useless

    If I remember correctly, someone rooted a 3C8...D or E a while back using a USB stick and was able to add both a SIM and SD reader to the PCB as the solder pads were already present. I'm not sure if this allowed them to turn it into a permanent hotspot or not. These days a MiFi style device would probably be easier.

    edit:
    Found the presentation and the github repo for rooting it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCpRcU4QGfc
    https://github.com/tmbinc/car
    Last edited by langers2k; 07-22-2019 at 03:04 AM.

  5. Likes OmeRoon liked this post
  6. #14
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by langers2k View Post
    None of this can work using 'Handsfree BT' as it's a not possible to 'move' the SIM card, leaving the car phone unable to connect via 3G and making a WiFi hotspot useless
    Thanks for reminding me of this. In BT settings one can change between "Handsfree" and "Premium", the latter being the rSAP and WiFi-enabling choice. I had an Android phone at the time (LG Nexus 5X) and after trying Premium for one time, I switched back to Handsfree as obviously I needed a data connection on my phone.

  7. Likes OmeRoon liked this post
  8. #15
    Verified VCDS User OmeRoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by langers2k View Post
    In short, yes

    There is basically a car phone inside modules that support 'Premium BT'. By using rSAP, it effectively remove the SIM card from the mobile phone and plugs it into the car phone. This means the mobile phone can no longer connect to the mobile network, cannot make/receive calls/SMS or use data services.

    Most people now use smart phones and need data services (sat nav etc) whilst connected to BT. To 'fix' this, the two latest BT module revisions (3C8...D and E) are able to connect to the mobile network via 3G then create a WiFi hotspot for the mobile phone to connect to, allowing it access to data services again. As the car phone is connecting to the mobile network, it still needs a SIM card and therefore a mobile phone that supports rSAP.

    None of this can work using 'Handsfree BT' as it's a not possible to 'move' the SIM card, leaving the car phone unable to connect via 3G and making a WiFi hotspot useless

    If I remember correctly, someone rooted a 3C8...D or E a while back using a USB stick and was able to add both a SIM and SD reader to the PCB as the solder pads were already present. I'm not sure if this allowed them to turn it into a permanent hotspot or not. These days a MiFi style device would probably be easier.

    edit:
    Found the presentation and the github repo for rooting it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCpRcU4QGfc
    https://github.com/tmbinc/car

    Thanx for your elaborate answer, much appreciated! Unfortunately my boss is paying my phone so rooting it is a "no go". I think I need to be happy what I have right now and forget about WiFi. :-)

    EDIT: that video is pretty interesting! Thanx for sharing!
    -- VW Passat CC TDI -- VW Corrado VR6 --

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •