Thread: VCDS language reprogramming query

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

VCDS language reprogramming query

Hi guys. I am looking at purchasing a VCDS system and I wondered if it is possible to actually change the language on the vehicle instrument displays to whatever you want, as opposed to the defined 5 or 6 language options? I have seen a video on YouTube that shows a guy picking between English German Spanish and a couple others, but I wondered if there was a way to “re-code” a module with whatever language you desired, like less commonly spoken ones? Can the VCDS allow you into the real nuts and bolts of the modules to edit data at this kind of level? Thanks !

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    not gonna happen, not with VCDS at least. I believe what you want needs some firmware disassembling and re-writing. not for the faint of hearted.
    my Golf came out of the factory with 13 ECUs. now she has 19. and counting

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Using VCDS, you can switch between whatever languages a particular cluster's firmware supports. You cannot add new languages.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both, that is what I suspected but I just had to ask! I am moving from the UK to a part of Turkey soon where there is a surprising (or not) lack of English spoken and figured I could start a nice little thing on the side converting instrument clusters / multimedia displays to their native tongue.. they have a lot of VAG cars out there and I’m sure there would be an appetite for it for a small fee... I might look into firmware extraction as another avenue.. 🤔 life’s too short to be fainted heart 👍🏼