Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where were you 50 years ago this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Where were you 50 years ago this weekend?

This is obviously a question for the old farts like me, the ones who saw this live on TV:

It's one of those moments that almost everyone who experienced it remembers exactly where they were.

My Uncle and I were camping here on the northwest shore of Lac de Neuchâtel / Neuenburgersee in Switzerland. It was more primitive then than it appears to be now. I don't remember an on-site restaurant then. But I remember us driving into town, to a bar that had a TV. My uncle (normally a non-drinker) ordered a glass of red wine and we watched....

So where were you when you saw that?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

2. Likes Boki Ar, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ ^ huh..."old farts like me"? Who are you calling an old fart - I suspect that you were just out of nappies - what is a 2 year old doing, camping?

Seriously - you are completely correct - the moon landing (assuming that it was not a Stanley Kubric hoax- only kidding) was indeed one of the defining moments in my life (and also in America's history).

I remember it well I was at my then girl friend's (now, my current life-time partner's) kitchen watching the vision (as did 600 Million other people). In Australia, the broadcast had a slightly local flavor because our radio telescope at the Parks observatory (here in central-west New South Wales) played an integral role in capturing and relaying the communication messages from the Apollo 11 Moon landing.

Was it really 50 years ago- Shirley not?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

4. Likes Uwe, Boki Ar, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post

So where were you when you saw that?
    I was in my parents living room. I was on summer break after my freshman year in college and working part time at a McDonald's.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    - Shirley not?
    No Shirley was nowhere around. It was Ruthless, I don't know where Ruth was either.

Have Fun!

Don

6. Likes DV52, Uwe, Boki Ar, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I joined my brother watching it live on TV (it was "in the wee small hours" here in the UK) in the living room of our parents house in Old Coulsdon (on the southern edge of London).

We were both totally amazed and inspired.

8. Likes Uwe, Boki Ar, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Last night brother and I watched Moon and talked about this. For us, it's a little bit unusual for people to be up there long time ago and nobody is going today.

In my house, parents, grandma, grandpa... all looked at this miracle. 1969 Radio Television Serbia had only one channel. RTS 1.

10. Likes Uwe, DV52, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ^^ ^ huh..."old farts like me"? Who are you calling an old fart - I suspect that you were just out of nappies - what is a 2 year old doing, camping?
    Uhm, I turned 60 about a month and a half ago, so yes, I'm officially an old fart now, and I was 10 on July 20th, 1969.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

12. Likes Boki Ar, DV52, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fifty years ago I got discharged from the USAF in Miami and visited my folks I got a job working with my dad doing interior finishing work in 7-11 stores. Miami just wasn't up to where I wanted to be.
    I figured I'd get out of the heat and tried to figure where in the world I'd like to see.
    I bought a Peugeot 10 speed bike and started pedaling first just little short trips from Miami to Naples Florida and back.
    A week later I start heading west. Just me and my heartless horse. I had $400 hidden in my handle bars.

Out of Florida and biked to New Orleans and just kept going.
    Only rode at night in Texas due to the heat.
    I rode on the painted white line along the road nice and smooth.
    Plenty of room on the road but I had a pick up truck really close to my rear tire blasting his horn- slowing down then speeding up - I just kept pedaling he pass me and then went off the road to the other side and pulled a rifle out of the back window he climbed into the bed and watched me-- he aimed and fired a shot behind me- I just kept pedaling - I didn't look at him just going- he fired just in front of me- I just kept going. Miles from anywhere not another car anywhere. I figured if my time was up so be it.

I met a lot of interesting people along the way.

I now had Alaska in mind and kept pushing the pedals.
    I took mostly back roads. Shopping at small country stores and pitching a tent in the evening in some out of the way places
    I was reading the "Trilogy" by Tolkien- I felt like I was along on the adventure with them

Crossing into Canada some beautiful sights and plenty of fresh air.
    Going up a steep mountain road I spotted a turn off that had a water pipe coming out of the mountain with clear cold water pouring out I stopped to fill my canteens.
    I noticed a guy standing next to a work truck with the hood up and he was swearing up a storm.

So rode over and asked what was up-- he said that he was with a convoy headed to a logging camp 4 hundred miles north and he was the last truck in the line.
    His truck would barely run and he didn't think it would make it up the hill. I asked If I could take a look- I popped off the distributor cap and saw the points were really close together out with my trusty Swiss Army knife. I had it running pretty good by ear.

He asked where I was going and would I like a ride- when I said Alaska he just laughed- Then asked if I wanted a job
    doing what I asked --he said a guy that figure out what was wrong with the truck would be handy in the logging camp

I took him up and threw the bike in the back and off we went.

In Terrace BC at the logging camp I met the camp boss and was given the job to fill up the all the trucks for the next days work- a long night time job from 1800 to 0300. They had 6 1966 VW double cabs for the fallers and road crews and logging trucks.

It was starting to get pretty cool in the evening and next thing I knew it was winter and -45*F a far cry from Miami temperatures. The only heat I had in the fuel shed where I did the paper work was the bare light bulb hanging from the ceiling.

The novelty had worn off and Alaska seemed like a real bad idea.

I had no idea a man had walked on the moon or that Woodstock happened during my journey. I saw Easy Rider and thought how lucky I was.

6,000 miles and 6 tires later-- I gave the bike to a native kid

I put a 1954 VW bus together and headed south thinking of Mexico
    simpler times 50 years ago

cheers
    Hank

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was almost 12 and to be truthful, I remember the even well, just can't recall were I was. One event that I can recall vividly was when Kennedy was shot. Was in school and they announced it on PA system and we were all dismissed.

15. Likes Boki Ar liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Uhm, I turned 60 about a month and a half ago, so yes, I'm officially an old fart now, and I was 10 on July 20th, 1969.

-Uwe-
    Just as I thought - a disgustingly young man! But it's not your fault - I don't blame you for that particular sin!!

Don
    PS: You have just entered the "pensive decade" - a time to re-appraise how best to use the forward years! May I recommend the value of retirement. IMHO -it's by far the very best of pursuits and the longer that it is delayed, the greater the lost years !!!
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

17. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe, Boki Ar, Bruce liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    May I recommend the value of retirement. IMHO -it's by far the very best of pursuits and the longer that it is delayed, the greater the lost years !!!
    I can also highly recommend this. I've been retired for several months now. My life now consists of six Saturdays followed by a Sunday - every week. What day of the week it is, is largely irrelevant unless there is something on TV that I want to watch live (very rare).

Have Fun!

Don

19. Likes Uwe, Boki Ar, Bruce liked this post