10530 - EVAP System P0456 00 [096] - Very Small Leak Detected

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
There are no foreign devices here.
Have you had tuner do some work on your car which involved making any changes that changed settings in the engine ECU?

lepa71

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303671
Yes, re-mapping is the part of the tune. It does add more boost. It is also known that at 60K miles N80 can start going bad. This is what I'm trying to figure out. This would a physical issue and not a software issue in tune. Again, there is no FOD, there is no catless downpipes, no K04 upgrade turbo. This 2.0 engine can handle much more boot that is getting now. I have been running this tune for the last 2 years without any issues.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Of course you car has defeats/deletes it's just it has it in programming...........

Evaporation (EVAP) Leak Detection Pump (LDP) Test

Search How too section......

https://forums.ross-tech.com/forumdisplay.php?24-How-To-s-and-Tips

mity-vac.jpg

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
According to the scan data & that you provided all the sensor readiness tests are bypassed & because it is impossible for them to be all ready after a DTC reset.

I'm not saying you are lying & possibly are just restating what you think you know or been told, however, really don't know or been misinformed.

Just go read how readiness tests work and than you will see you have been fed a pile of bullshit.

lepa71

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303671
According to the scan data & that you provided all the sensor readiness tests are bypassed & because it is impossible for them to be all ready after a DTC reset.

I'm not saying you are lying & possibly are just restating what you think you know or been told, however, really don't know or been misinformed.

Just go read how readiness tests work and then you will see you have been fed a pile of bullshit.

How is this relevant to the original post. You asked me to do additional things and I did. Now you are going on this path about readiness and stuff. Why? I just simply don't get it. If you have nothing else to prove than, please, I beg you, stop responding to this thread. I don't need theoretical things with readiness and states and FOD.

I got a code and wanted to know what people think about it. Just practical things to try. You went on and on into LALA land.

Thank you for NO HELP!

lepa71

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303671
"Intermittent - Not Confirmed" DTCs are usually not a concern.

Take a look using Generic OBD-II, Mode 7 (Pending DTCs) to see if anything shows there.

-Uwe-

This is what I expected to see or something similar.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
How is this relevant to the original post. You asked me to do additional things and I did. Now you are going on this path about readiness and stuff. Why? I just simply don't get it. If you have nothing else to prove than, please, I beg you, stop responding to this thread. I don't need theoretical things with readiness and states and FOD.

I got a code and wanted to know what people think about it. Just practical things to try. You went on and on into LALA land.

Thank you for NO HELP!

You are missing the point. Not La la land

My responses are not to call attention to your tuner, however, you clearly have an inability to understand how stuff works, this has nothing to do with regulations or laws, it has to do with what can we test here.

Leak tests are done with mechanical tools and or in some cases the scanner, however, only when the ECU isn't a basket case or modified FOD unit & permits the tests to be done.

If the tests are posting as "READY" & before they are even given a chance to be tested, how the hell are you supposed to use VCDS?

The tool is only as good as the data that can be initiated and queried, if the ECU spits out bullshit data or prevents the test, the tool is for a sake crippled & mechanical tests must be done.

In this case all your readiness tests are ready after a mere reset of codes, so that means each test string is shut down and preset to zero or off/READY.

Since the rear OXS sensor is used to verify the blending process of the N80 gasses from gas tank, it is very possible your tuner missed something in a table.

The N80 could be queried fast to operate or hold gasses mechanically with a mighty vac.

fod-control-signs-risk-series.png

lepa71

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303671
Ok. I will go along with your theory. I do scans quite often, maybe too often. I have not had that code 1 month ago. My tuner didn't miss anything. The UM tune is a self-adjustable tune. It probably is the most sensor depended tune out there.

I would expect that you would tell me to run a smoke test. That would be just fine. Being in IT for more than 25 years in BI world I know that data can't show everything and mechanical test can not be replaced by just data.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Ok. I will go along with your theory. I do scans quite often, maybe too often. I have not had that code 1 month ago. My tuner didn't miss anything. The UM tune is a self-adjustable tune. It probably is the most sensor depended tune out there.

I would expect that you would tell me to run a smoke test. That would be just fine. Being in IT for more than 25 years in BI world I know that data can't show everything and mechanical test can not be replaced by just data.

I prefer not to do smoke tests, they are sometimes too passive & because they are for people that need a visual and a mighty vac will hold or create PSI in order to see a leak.

Seriously a single vacuum line with crimps tests is superior to smoke tests and permits the qualified seal where smoke isn't going to tell you if something can handle a switch function & under a load of gas PSI.

Smoke test does have it's uses but in this circuit I have found it to be a complete waste of time and money to get that machine out.

Many times I find the leak where others didn't & by the choice of this test method.

As for self adjusting tunes or how dependable a tune is, I have my doubts about even the stock code sometimes, however, if you want to plug UM that's your choice and even though I don't agree with it, I respect your right to your faulted opinion.

lepa71

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303671
"I respect your right to your faulted opinion." Right, and you are always right. Your big ego shows.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
"I respect your right to your faulted opinion." Right, and you are always right. Your big ego shows.

You are correct, I should of stated for the record I am not always right and an asshole or clown, indeed I am humbled with my own mistakes made too.

I wouldn't say ego either, I'd say confident in ones abilities and to make a fast observation while maybe making a mistake myself sometimes.

For example I read your post quick skimming and thought you had cat-less down pipes but that was for your old allroad with announced deletes. :p

Nevertheless your own submitted data for readiness being ready after a DTC reset & shows the truth on the other side of things.

This stuff here is pretty routine and the shear repetition of the impaired diagnostic stacks by lazy tuners is not a secret.

In order to fix stuff it's good to know what is consistent and isn't to a degree, dont you think and if you could find a reason to explain to me why your tuner would set readiness flags in the spirit of Motorsports or why it wouldn't be a lazy method I'm all ears?

Does your tuner have an accreditation or exemption certificates with CARB or the EPA administrator? I think not?

Many would possibly think something is more reliable if they were not getting an MIL or DTC to be alerted now wouldn't they, maybe perceive it this way, like la la it looks good from my house or she looked great in the dark while drunk?

Everyone has done the walk of shame .......

lepa71

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303671
Just because you have certifications that do not give you rights to talk about others as you think they are incompetent. My tuner has his own shop that works on most European cars for the last almost 20 years. Primarily in Audi and VW but also works on Bentley and Maserati. He has 2 masters certified mechanics as himself as a 3rd one. One master mechanic is from Maserati manufacturing service department.

I also say that the ones who cannot do the work they either teach or demagogue.

So, please, don't be an asshole and stop insulting people you don't know.

I'm done with you in this thread. Please, stop posting.

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
How is this relevant to the original post. You asked me to do additional things and I did. Now you are going on this path about readiness and stuff. Why? I just simply don't get it.
Jack is an acquired taste. Jack is also absolutely correct in this situation.

Nope, just clear codes and turn car off , wait 1 minute and then key ON, start car and let idle for 5 minutes & going no where, than re-scan and post the complete data record.

Here is the scan after. Thank you for helping.

Code:
Address 01: Engine (DET-CPMA)       Labels:. 06H-907-115-CDN.clb
No fault code found.
Readiness: 0000 0000
Clearing codes on a normal vehicle will set all supported readiness monitor bits to 1 until the respective tests have finished, at which time they're set to 0. If you see an ECU that says "No fault code found" and all the readiness monitors are zero, it's supposed to mean there's truly no faults, that everything has tested out successfully. The absence of an EVAP fault (or any system fault) alone doesn't mean that system is tested and working. The absence of a fault together with the readiness bit does.

https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/readiness.php

In your case, all the readiness monitors are at zero when you didn't drive the car. It's technically possible the EVAP test ran in that time, but improbable, I'd have to look at the exact conditions for your vehicle. But the catalytic converter monitor absolutely will not complete without a drive (or a specially commanded procedure which doesn't apply here). Your ECU is definitely confirmed lying about certain readiness bits. We just don't know how many.

Jack has some odd but deeply held opinions on tuning which you may regard or disregard as you like. I personally do not care if people show up here with tuned cars, provided they are upfront about it. Jack's point is, this will be more difficult to diagnose, because who knows what your tuner has done. Sometimes it's just a readiness bit ignored, sometimes the DTC will run and set but the MIL for that code is disabled, sometimes the routine or subsystem has been hacked out entirely. FOD = screwed with, be that software or hardware. In this, he is correct.

If that's something you can understand and acknowledge and take ownership of, then the rest of the discussion will be more productive toward finding a solution.

Last edited:

lepa71

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303671

Code:
No fault code found.
Clearing codes on a normal vehicle will set all supported readiness monitor bits to 1 until the respective tests have finished, at which time they're set to 0. If you see an ECU that says "No fault code found" and all the readiness monitors are zero, it's supposed to mean there's truly no faults, that everything has tested out successfully.

https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/readiness.php

In your case, all the readiness monitors are at zero when you didn't drive the car. It's technically possible the EVAP test ran in that time, but improbable, I'd have to look at the exact conditions for your vehicle. But the catalytic converter monitor absolutely will not complete without a drive (or a specially commanded procedure which doesn't apply here). The absence of an EVAP fault (or any system fault) alone doesn't mean that system is tested and working. The absence of a fault together with the readiness bit does. Your ECU is definitely confirmed lying about certain readiness bits. We just don't know how many.

Jack has some odd but deeply held opinions on tuning which you may regard or disregard as you like. I personally do not care if people show up here with tuned cars, provided they are upfront about it. Jack's point is, this will be more difficult to diagnose, because who knows what your tuner has done. Sometimes it's just a readiness bit ignored, sometimes the DTC will run and set but the MIL for that code is disabled, sometimes the routine or subsystem has been hacked out entirely. FOD = screwed with, be that software or hardware. In this, he is correct.

If that's something you can understand and acknowledge and take ownership of, then the rest of the discussion will be more productive toward finding a solution.

You see I can totally understand your explanation. Thank you

What I don't get is to why some people "him" have a need to insult others, that he has no knowledge about, in the way he does.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
You see I can totally understand your explanation. Thank you

What I don't get is to why some people "him" have a need to insult others, that he has no knowledge about, in the way he does.

You fail to realize when you dismiss me and argue a baseless argument, you are insulting the collective and only helping spread a disease!

Thank you Jason,

OP : You could flash back to stock and run tests if nothing in the car is truly altered or get a second ECU, one for the track and one for proper stack.

You could also do mechanical tests as I have aforementioned.

I am not a teacher and in the trenches doing this crap everyday, every car has to be qualified as "not modified" & before you start or you could waste a ton of time potentially.

To be clear:

I am not against modification, speed HP/TQ or tuning, I do have a serious problem with the tuners which cut corners or promote deletes & as a method of Motorsports.

This has and continues causing in many cases, people's unjustified repair bills, voided warranties & because people like you OP, don't know WTF is going on & this thread is a perfect example of it.

Just think of the poor guy that buys a car used and doesn't have a lot of money, he spends his check to change parts he doesn't need & because he has no MIL but cant figure why the car runs like a POS?

Now there will be guys justifying the inverse, saying to themselves, they didn't have to buy that expensive part and the car still runs and it has no MIL, ain't I clever, meanwhile the whole stack was set to zero, then the dumb bastard drives down road maybe a while & maybe he blows his motor, very frequently & indeed happens?

I can tell you from experience this is a problem!

When ECU's get sent to me, I often plugin right on bench & to start a transfer or after transfer doing a forensic extraction and they have no DTC's for anything and all readiness are set even after I clear a fault memory.
I consider this an important work detail too & since if I can retrieve the DTC's from a controller that went under water or burned up, I can then give insight to the installer WTF happened & before he plugs in the replacement to burn it up again.

All I'm saying is consider the other side and ramification of this crap, because it does matter!

The JPPSG rules matter as does FOD!............ :p

Wanna go ride the 737 MAX Boeing?

There-are-rules-for-a-reason.-Nothing-matters-if-youre-dead.jpg
fod-control-signs-risk-series.png

findalex

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95887
My 2013 A5 U.S.-spec is completely stock. And I'm getting the exact same code. I've cleared it before but it always comes back. No MIL lights though.

I came across this TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10123710-9999.pdf The P045600 code matches.

Do you think this TSB applies to this particular code?

findalex

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95887
Please see my autoscan below. Also, according to an earlier TSB, this is the cause:

Technical Background

After the engine is switched off, the fuel system creates a natural vacuum as the fuel in the fuel tank cools off. If the natural vacuum leak detection (NVLD) system cannot detect this natural vacuum during the system self-test, the DTC will be stored in the ECM.System self-test background:• The NVLD system checks the natural vacuum that is created in the fuel tank as the fuel cools after the engine has been switched off.• The fuel tank pressure sensor, G400, senses the vacuum in the bleed line near the EVAP canister. The fuel tank leak detection control module, J909, monitors the temperature inside the fuel tank.• The fuel system is considered to be closed (leak-free) if the measured vacuum is 2.5 mbar (0.04 PSI).•If no vacuum is detected, there is a vacuum leak in the EVAP system, and the DTC will be stored

Code:
Sunday,12,July,2020,12:12:26:37015
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 19.6.1.0 (x64)
Data version: 20190529 DS308.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WAUCFAFR7DA017XXXX   License Plate: 
Mileage: 139180km-86482mi   Repair Order: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: FR-AU48 (8R0)
Scan: 01 02 03 05 06 08 09 15 16 17 19 2E 36 42 44 46 47 52 53 56

VIN: WAUCFAFR7DA017XXX   Mileage: 139180km-86482miles

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
05-Acc/Start Auth. -- Status: OK 0000
06-Seat Mem. Pass -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
2E-Media Player 3 -- Status: OK 0000
36-Seat Mem. Drvr -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
47-Sound System -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
53-Parking Brake -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: Malfunction 0010
77-Telephone -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Part No SW: 8K5 907 115 F    HW: 8K2 907 115 L
   Component: 2.0l R4/4V TF H09 0008  
   Revision: ECH09---    
   Coding: 5A2A0013242600062000
   Shop #: WSC 43966 001 1048576
   ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TFS0118K5907115F 001009
   ROD: EV_ECM20TFS0118K5907115F.rod
   VCID: 356ADC8394D1E1E77A-8060

1 Fault Found:
10530 - EVAP System 
          P0456 00 [096] - Very Small Leak Detected
          Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Mileage: 136847 km
                    Date: 2020.06.11
                    Time: 15:17:08

Engine speed: 1299.00 /min
                    Normed load value: 31.4 %
                    Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
                    Coolant temperature: 30 °C
                    Intake air temperature: 27 °C
                    Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
                    Voltage terminal 30: 12.981 V
                    Unlearning counter according OBD: 13
                    selected gear-Bits 0-7: 0
                    Acceleration: 0.000 m/s²
                    Calculated reducing transmission intervention torque: 1000.0 Nm
                    Engine torque: 62.6 Nm
                    Required RPM at idle speed: 1300.0 /min

Address 02: Auto Trans (J217)       Labels:| 0BK-927-156.clb
   Part No SW: 8K0 927 158 T    HW: 0BK 927 156 AL
   Component: 0BK 20TFSIUSA H16 1002  
   Revision: --H16---    
   Coding: 000002
   Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
   ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMAL551211 002018
   ROD: EV_TCMAL551211_002_AU48.rod
   VCID: 4796A64BFE3D637718-8012

No fault code found.

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104)       Labels:. 8K0-907-379-V1.clb
   Part No SW: 8K0 907 379 CK    HW: 8K0 907 379 CK
   Component: ESP8 quattro  H09 0100  
   Revision: --------    Serial number: --------------
   Coding: 2D1D18
   Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000
   VCID: 040C7147878B886FBD-8050

No fault code found.

Address 05: Acc/Start Auth. (J393)       Labels:. 8K0-907-064-05.clb
   Part No SW: 8K0 907 064 GL    HW: 8K0 907 064 FL
   Component: BCM2 2.0      H11 0621  
   Revision: 00002001    
   Coding: 09804000000000000000
   VCID: 00047D579393944F99-8054

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8K0 959 754 F    HW: 8K0 959 754 F
   Component: FBSAUDIB8 IDG  H71 0083 
   Serial number: 0512000042425014    

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8K0 905 852 E    HW: 8K0 905 852 E
   Component: J764 ELV MLB  H40 0046 
   Serial number: 2312000154977010    

No fault code found.

Address 06: Seat Mem. Pass (J521)       Labels:. 8T0-959-760.clb
   Part No SW: 8T0 959 760 E    HW: 8T0 959 760 E
   Component: MEM-BFS       H10 0076  
   Revision: AA000000    Serial number: 00000034146290
   Coding: 08037025002400001000
   VCID: 458AAC43CC317167EA-8010

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255)       Labels: Redir Fail!
   Part No SW: 8K1 820 043 T    HW: 8K1 820 043 T
   Component: KLIMA 3 ZONEN H04 0123  
   Revision: C1000000    Serial number: 01140720120350
   Coding: 6482208000
   VCID: 3972D0B3B0C905879E-806C

No fault code found.

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519)       Labels:. 8K0-907-063.clb
   Part No SW: 8K0 907 063 DF    HW: 8K0 907 063 DF
   Component: BCM1 1.0      H16 0103  
   Revision: 06016001    Serial number: 00000444499001
   Coding: 26000091863CAFC00000480300003D0D0F1C528822090221000008004000030100000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 06325 123 12345
   VCID: 76E81B8FC157AAFFB3-8022

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8T1 955 119 D    HW: 8J1 955 119   Labels: 1KX-955-119.CLB
   Component: WWS 100712  H15 0080 
   Serial number: SWF12070100322      
   Coding: 00FD11

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8U0 955 559 B    HW: 8U0 955 559 B  Labels: 8U0-955-559.CLB
   Component: G397_RLFS  H06 0002 
   Serial number: 20408358            
   Coding: 02005D

Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 8K0 941 531 AS    HW: 8K0 941 531 AS
   Component: E1 - LDS  H03 0031 
   Serial number: 00000000000207121228

Subsystem 4 - Part No SW: 4G0 907 410 A    HW: 4H0 907 410 A
   Component: USHL4.2  H30 0030 
   Serial number: 0000002274555R298802

Subsystem 5 - Part No SW: 4H0 907 658     HW: 4H0 907 658 
   Component: AQ_Hum_Sensor  H03 0003 
   Serial number: 1F588736000000000001