A8 2016 - Can I alter individual SRI fields in the cluster? ...

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
I've tried searching but can't find any specifics about using VCDS to alter specific fields in the instrument cluster that are used for Service alerts.

Specifically, I'd like to alter the "IDE03349-FIX: Max. distance until next mileage-related inspection" field as it seems to be set incorrectly in my UK 2016 A8 :(

The service manual indicates that Inspection Service Interval is "24 months or 30,000km" but my cluster has the field set to 15,900km causing premature mileage alerts. See VCDS SRI output below:

Code:
Monday,15,July,2019,20:36:13:53697
VCDS Release 19.6.1:  SRI Reset-SRI1.CLB -- Data version: 20190529 DS308.0
WAUZZZ4H4GN002801
Control Module Part Number: 4H0 920 910 R       Labels:  .*4H0-920-xxx-17.clb-SRI1
Component:TDieGB------- H53 0803, Coding:33A608001B412600010000
Operation: Please select an operation -- 1/3
********************************************************************************************************************************************
Channel                                                                  Description                           Current val.       New val.
IDE00342-ESI: Resetting ESI                                              ESI: Service Reminder Status          Warning active     ---
IDE00510-ESI: distance driven from inspection                            ESI: Distance since Inspection        27800 km [17290 mi]---
IDE00511-ESI: time from inspection                                       ESI: Time since Inspection            721 Days           ---      
IDE00515-ESI: oil quality                                               *ESI: Oil Quality                      good oil quality   ---
IDE00517-ESI: soot entry                                                 ESI: Soot Quantity                    18500 km [11500 mi]---
IDE00518-ESI: thermal load                                               ESI: Thermal Load                     26600 km [16500 mi]---
IDE01153-SIA: maximum value of distance to service                      *SIA: Maximum Distance to Service      14500 km [9000 mi] ---
IDE01154-SIA: maximum value of time to service                          *SIA: Maximum Time to Service          365 Days           ---
IDE03349-FIX: Max. distance until next mileage-related inspection       *FIX: Maximum Distance to Inspection   15900 km [9800 mi] ---
IDE03350-FIX: Maximum time until next time-dependent inspection         *FIX: Maximum Time to Inspection       730 Days           ---
IDE03351-FIX: Distance covered since last mileage-dependent inspection   FIX: Distance since Inspection        11900 km [7442 mi] ---
IDE03352-FIX: Time since last time-dependent inspection                  FIX: Time since Inspection            306 Days           ---
********************************************************************************************************************************************

Note that this is a standard log from my A8 with local additions [* to mark fixed fields & [xxxx mi] fields converted from km to make more sense to those of us in the UK:D]

You can see from the last two lines [3351 & 3352] that I've done 7442 miles in 306 days since my last inspection but the MMI Service screen is indicating next Inspection in 2358 miles [early] or 424 days [correct] based on the values in 3349 & 3350!

So I'd like to correct the 3349 line to 30,000. Any ideas please?

Thanks - Julian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sure, you can change that channel using the Adaptation function.

However, I'm not sure I can predict all the effects, or whether it will change what your MMI displays without doing a reset of the "distance since" as well.

If it were mine and this was bothering me, I'd try to see what happens.

-Uwe-

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
My guess is the car has maybe been "out of sync." for the "mileage-related inspection"
As it is now you have 4000 km until "mileage-related inspection" should be made.
From your other autoscan, that is probably 62875 km. (I think that should have been 60000 km)
If you for example make your "Oil service" and "mileage-related inspection" now at 60.000 km, yes then IDE03349 must be changed to 30000

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Thanks for you comments Guys.

In response to you comment about trying, Uwe, I've got an Oil service next week, so I'll inspect the cluster service fields after they've reset it and probably reset the field related to the Inspection mileage.

I've checked the service screen today and it shows:
Oil Change: 1700 miles / 7 days
Inspection: 2400 miles / 422 days

If you can bother to check back :rolleyes:, the days count is right for 2 years but the mileage count [added to the 7442 miles I've done since last Inspection], is below the service book value of 19,000 miles!

NETech, from what I can see of the car's service record, the last Inspection was done prematurely [by the Audi Dealer I purchased the car from], just prior to my purchase, so it's possible they 'mucked it up' at that time.

Will follow up with my findings …

Julian

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Shut off SRI keep a log book?

Jack; sometimes I wonder why we have to put up with this stuff, but if you're going to implement a complicated computer based service mechanism, it needs to work properly and present good data.

:banghead:

Thankfully, we've got VCDS to allow us to correct other peoples' mistakes :thumbs:

Julian

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Over the years many disable SRI and keep a log book.

It is rare to meet the consumer which has all his scans with SRI resets and on one storage place.

FYI:
I encourage it, because it has helped many track fuel quality, MPG and oil changes, in many cases the log book is what was the proof for warranty on earlier sludge cars when engines went South.
I would say due to the power train being even more complex & with susceptibility to failure + useful life warranty extension as explained in JPPSG, are even more critical now!
Now doing an oil change or posting each scan and SRI in the forum is a great idea because you could argue it's a virtual record forensic and it keeps you advised for things seen in patterns for the collective and for observation to compare later.

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735

It is rare to meet the consumer which has all his scans with SRI resets and on one storage place.

Well, you've met one electronically, me ;)

I've got a 'log book' - it's an Excel Workbook - with entries foir all work and changes to my car with dates and mileages.

I also use the SRI option [with no changes, just to get the cluster values interpreted] every time my VCDS is connected and ALL my SRI and Autoscan logs are stored on my PC. [I've got all my scans for my previous and current A8s since I purchased VCDS] :thumbs:

Julian

Reactions: Uwe

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Sure, you can change that channel using the Adaptation function.

However, I'm not sure I can predict all the effects, or whether it will change what your MMI displays without doing a reset of the "distance since" as well.

If it were mine and this was bothering me, I'd try to see what happens.

-Uwe-

Due to an unexpected hospital visit I haven't had my Oil change service yet but I decided to use VCDS to alter the IDE03349-FIX field from its 'incorrect' [15900] value to the one I expected [30000].

This was easy and without any other changes the MMI screen now shows the more sensible [to me] values of:

Next Inspection: 11200 Miles / 411 days

As an aside though, I can't help wondering if the cluster values for Fixed Inspection were tweaked by the dealer when the brake fluid was changed for the first time a year ago. [We have a possible different brake fluid schedule in the UK - first one after 3 years, all others every 2 years].

It would have helped me to see other A8 D4 SRI values but it looks like I'm the only A8 D4 user who seems to use VCDS!!:D

Julian

Back