LLerQ5P.gif

What could POSSIBLY go wrong !?!?!!?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Do they do a man size one, with a 308 or 350??? :thumbs: ;)

NZ: short of going for an airplane engine (Merlin?), I assume that the Aussie beast could have been better built with an American Cadillac 500 motor ( a whopping 500.02 cu in), but I reckon that we are getting into the realm of absurdity here (not that the concept of a V-8 chainsaw isn't a tad absurd already)!!:)

Don

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Funny story. My wife walked out the door this morning, and the temperature was -2. She came back in, to tell me that everything was covered with a heavy frost :D and that I should leave early to allow time for scraping:

20171114130613-000a0717.jpg

As you can see, my test/control vehicle is on the left, and my new plug-in hybrid is on the right. Lord knows that I need all of the beauty sleep that I can get, and the cabin temperature was a balmy 25 degrees when I planted my butt on the toasty warm seat this morning. (I turned the heater thermostat up a notch from yesterday's setting, and believe it or not it seems like it helped the truck's coolant warm up quicker while driving because the engine wasn't also trying to heat the cab.)

Anybody want to buy a slightly used ice scraper????? :p

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Now, I can see the logic of giving language credits in Latin for learning to program in COBOL, :D but Java and Python are no substitute for Spanish and French. C'est la vie. We'll all be speaking Chinese in 20 years anyway..... :facepalm:

https://www.wabe.org/computer-science-foreign-language-state-sees-boost-enrollment/

Is Computer Science A Foreign Language? Ga. Says Yes, Sees Boost In Enrollment

TASNIM SHAMMA
NOV 13, 2017

After the bell rings at Lanier High School in Buford, Georgia, Michael Reilly asks to see his students’ faces, because most are hidden behind computer screens.

Reilly is a technology teacher at the Center for Digital Technology (CDAT) at Lanier High School, where he teaches an elective class called Programming, Games, Apps and Society. Students work in teams or individually at their own pace to build their own apps for Android phones this semester.

To build these apps, the students are learning how to code in the programming language Java.

College Admissions

Since the fall of 2014, students have been able to take computer science classes, where they learn programming languages like Java or Python, in place of foreign language classes like French or Spanish.

Reilly helped the state come up with the strategy to boost enrollment in high school computer science classes.

The University System of Georgia (USG), which includes all of the state’s public colleges and universities, changed its college entrance requirements to support the change.

Statewide, since the USG shifted its policy and the state board of education put more emphasis on hiring computer science teachers, the number of students taking computer science classes has grown by more than 50 percent.

To help free up his students’ schedules so they would be able to take more computer science classes, he wondered: why not allow some students to pursue classes that would lead to guaranteed jobs?

“That’s how this really came about,” Reilly said. “Kids were required to take two years at least of foreign language that frankly most people don’t use after they’re done.”

That’s how the former developer-turned-high school teacher convinced former state Rep. Mike Dudgeon to push Gov. Nathan Deal to approve a change allowing students to substitute foreign language requirements with computer science classes.

“This is the highest demanding career there is right now, and there’s no room in a kid’s schedule to take it,” Reilly said.

Talent Shortage

The reason behind the push to increase the number of students entering computer science careers is a shortage of qualified workers in the state.

Georgia employers posted a daily average of 5,010 job openings on their websites over the past 30 days for IT-related jobs, according to the Technology Association of Georgia.

“The computing job shortage will be a million-plus by 2020,” Rodney Sampson, chairman of Opportunity Hub and a partner at Tech Square Labs in Midtown Atlanta, said.

“And so are those going to be Americans in those jobs? Who’s going to be in those jobs?”

Still, as many private colleges and universities in Georgia and out-of-state schools still require foreign language classes as part of their entrance requirements, the USG policy shift can limit where students apply to college.

Language Debate

Lanier High School junior Steven Harmon, is one student taking computer science classes to fulfill his foreign language requirement. He said it’s a lot like learning Spanish.

“We have to learn like acronyms and abbreviations for everything, and we have to learn the syntax for everything,” Harmon said. “Like syntax is basically grammar.”

Reilly doesn’t totally agree with his student. He said computer science is much closer to math.

“I took French in high school, and I remember it well,” Reilly said. “Not the language. Just taking the class. And that’s part of the decision that influenced me to pursue this.

“It wasn’t as useful to me as [computer science] is. And I’m not pretending that this is a language. Technically, they call it one, it’s actually more of a geometrical proof, concept of computational thinking.”

Reilly said he’s felt animosity from some of his liberal arts colleagues at Lanier High School:

“There’s been significant – I don’t know what you call it – it’s not necessarily hate or anything, but it does border on resentment, of ‘That’s not a language,’” Reilly said. “We’re not saying it’s a foreign language.”

Foreign Languages

Just around the corner from the computer science classrooms, Loyda Zamot is greeting her students in Spanish.

She said foreign languages should continue to be required by Georgia colleges.

“When you learn a new language, it’s like opening a new window in a room,” Zamot said. “You see things from a whole new perspective. It’s not just language. It’s culture, new people.”

But she said if there is one good thing to come out of the change, it’s that many students who want to learn Spanish are now in her class because they want to be … and not because they have to.

Computer Science Interest

At Lanier High School, Reilly surveyed students and found that nearly half of students taking computer science classes are using it as their foreign language requirement.

And some are on track to become certified programmers when they graduate high school.

“I see the job opportunity. I see opportunity for kids who could break the cycle of poverty in their family after high school,” Reilly said. “That’s what’s most intriguing to me and we’ve been denying [students] that opportunity.”

It’s a skill, he said, more and more companies are demanding, like State Farm, FirstData and Home Depot. Companies tell him they need more IT talent and exposure to computer science early on. So industry leaders are more actively partnering with teachers on shaping school curriculums and offering internships.

The Georgia Board of Education also said it’s spending more time and resources training teachers.

“We’re aggressive about the beginning of the pipeline of developers,” Reilly said. “I see the moves of Gwinnett. We’re ten percent of the state and we’re trying to do this. I’m confident most states aren’t as aggressive about it.”

It’s a pipeline he hopes will get stronger and help to attract even more businesses to the Atlanta area, like Amazon, which is now considering where to place its second headquarters.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I used to be addicted to the hokey-pokey...

...then I turned myself about..... :facepalm:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
When owning a mountain just isn't enough..... :D :D :D :D :D

https://www.yahoo.com/news/earth-like-planet-host-alien-life-discovered-called-ross-115223097.html

Earth-like planet that could host alien life has been discovered and it’s called Ross

Ross McGuinness
Yahoo News UK
November 15, 2017

A planet the same size as Earth and with a similar temperature has been discovered.

Ross 128b was found orbiting a red dwarf 11 light years away from our own planet and is moving closer to us.

Scientists say its surface temperature may be ‘the closest known comfortable abode for possible life’.

Astronomers working with the European Southern Observatory’s High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS) at the La Silla Observatory in Chile found that the red dwarf star Ross 128 is orbited by a low-mass ‘exoplanet’ every 9.9 days.

The Earth-sized world is expected to be temperate, with a surface temperature that may also be close to that of the Earth. Ross 128 is the ‘quietest’ nearby star to host such a temperate exoplanet.

Study co-author, Dr Nicola Astudillo-Defru, of the University of Geneva in Switzerland, said: ‘This discovery is based on more than a decade of HARPS intensive monitoring together with state-of-the-art data reduction and analysis techniques.

‘Only HARPS has demonstrated such a precision and it remains the best planet hunter of its kind, 15 years after it began operations.’

Red dwarfs are some of the coolest, faintest – and most common – stars in the universe. The researchers said these qualities make them very good targets in the search for exoplanets.

The study’s lead author, Dr Xavier Bonfils, of Université Grenoble in France, named the HARPS programme ‘the shortcut to happiness’ as it is easier to detect small cool siblings of Earth around these stars, than around stars more similar to the sun.

Many red dwarf stars, including Proxima Centauri, are subject to flares that occasionally bathe their orbiting planets in deadly ultraviolet and X-ray radiation.

But Dr Bonfils said it seems that Ross 128 is a much quieter star, and so its planets may be the ‘closest known comfortable abode for possible life’.

Although it is currently 11 light years from Earth, he said Ross 128 is moving towards us and is expected to become our nearest stellar neighbour in ‘just’ 79,000 years – a blink of the eye in cosmic terms.

He said Ross 128b will by then take the crown from Proxima b and become the closest exoplanet to Earth.

With the data from HARPS, the team found that Ross 128b orbits 20 times closer than the Earth orbits the sun.

But, despite the proximity, Ross 128b receives only 1.38 times more irradiation than the Earth.

As a result, Ross 128 b’s equilibrium temperature is estimated to lie between -60 and 20°C, thanks to the cool and faint nature of its small red dwarf host star, which has just over half the surface temperature of the sun.

While the scientists involved in the discovery consider Ross 128b to be a temperate planet, uncertainty remains as to whether the planet lies inside, outside, or on the cusp of the habitable zone, where liquid water may exist on a planet’s surface.

Astronomers are now detecting more and more temperate exoplanets, and the next stage will be to study their atmospheres, composition and chemistry in more detail.

The findings will be published in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.

Back