Considering Lane Assist for Passat 2016 B8

Flashded

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Passat 2016 B8 with ACC and Auto-dimming mirror but without a camera.

I'm in the process of replacing the windshield for the camera. Is it possible to use the same mirror?
What is the full list of details required for the Lane Assist?

1. VCDS
2. 3Q0980654H Camera
3. 3G0862505 Heater
4. 561868437Y20 Cover
5. ??? Mounting base. I have a 3D printer and I saw that some people print it. Are sources available?
6. ??? Wiring

What I miss?

Thank you.

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
RoW B8 in the USA? You most probably have the 2015-2016 facelifted Passat NMS.

Is windscreen replacement completely out of question as this would save you the very real hassle of point 5 as you would have to relocate the mirror base? The P/N for NMS windscreen with front camera mount is 561845011Q NVB. At least RoW model windscreens come with the heater pad already installed so you most probably wouldn't need to buy it seperately.
Wiring the camera is pretty easy. You can buy the wiring kit on Ali for instance.

Also you would need the mirror base cover caps 561858633 and 561858634 in your appropriate color code.

Last edited:

Flashded

Reaction score
RoW B8 in the USA? You most probably have the 2015-2016 facelifted Passat NMS.

Is windscreen replacement completely out of question as this would save you the very real hassle of point 5 as you would have to relocate the mirror base? The P/N for NMS windscreen with front camera mount is 561845011Q NVB. At least RoW model windscreens come with the heater pad already installed so you most probably wouldn't need to buy it seperately.
Wiring the camera is pretty easy. You can buy the wiring kit on Ali for instance.

Also you would need the mirror base cover caps 561858633 and 561858634 in your appropriate color code.

Thank you for your message!

I have Passat B8 SE with Technology USA. Manufactured as far as I know in the USA. SE - American style of options. If I'm not mistaken it means Special Edition.

I don't think that I have a heater pad since there is only Rain / Light sensor behind the mirror. Do I understand right that I would be using the same mirror?
Also, I didn't get about the camera mount.

Last edited:

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Hover your mouse on the abbreviation and see it's meaning. If you have the newer self-dimming mirror with very thin bezels, the same mirror is used. After a quick glance on Youtube this seems to be the case with "SE /w Technology".

Reactions: Uwe

Flashded

Reaction score
Hover your mouse on the abbreviation and see it's meaning. If you have the newer self-dimming mirror with very thin bezels, the same mirror is used. After a quick glance on Youtube this seems to be the case with "SE /w Technology".

Thank you! For some reason, hovering over the text doesn't work in my browser (Chrome, Mac). I googled it already (Rest of the World :).

You're right, I have the auto-dimming mirror with very thin bezels. Glad that I could keep using it. Actually, even my car instructions have a lot of information about the lane assist. It's just missing the equipment.

To be honest, I still didn't get an idea about the camera mounting base

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
To be honest, I still didn't get an idea about the camera mounting base
The proper camera base usually comes with the appropriate windscreen. As far as I've seen, the NMS camera base is not available seperately and I personally don't know about 3D printing it at all.

Do keep in mind after even after fitting, parameterizing (which VCDS cannot do) and coding (which it can) the camera, it still needs to be calibrated in order to work at all. A more knowledgeable dealer tech could do the calibration (since the vehicle wasn't born with this feature) but I suspect finding such a dealership is a struggle in the US.

Flashded

Reaction score
The proper camera base usually comes with the appropriate windscreen. As far as I've seen, the NMS camera base is not available seperately and I personally don't know about 3D printing it at all.

Do keep in mind after even after fitting, parameterizing (which VCDS cannot do) and coding (which it can) the camera, it still needs to be calibrated in order to work at all. A more knowledgeable dealer tech could do the calibration (since the vehicle wasn't born with this feature) but I suspect finding such a dealership is a struggle in the US.

Thank you! Now I got it!
Unfortunately, today my windscreen was completely shattered in the night by an act of vandalism by someone (crazy people in the USA) so I'm waiting when a mobile repair shop will come to replace it. I told them that I need a windshield w/ camera that's why I wasn't aware of the mounting base.

As far as I know, calibration is available in a lot of places here. Moreover, I saw that a lot of people calibrate on their own by print a calibration stand with black and white circle dots.

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
I know a supplier of 3D printed brackets, for mqb and pq cars. Totally retrofitted it on my b6 using this method

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I know a supplier of 3D printed brackets, for mqb and pq cars. Totally retrofitted it on my b6 using this method

are you willing to share the details?

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
dryabikoff is the guy you need to speak to on the drive2.ru forum.

Use chrome, and it will do the translating for you

Back