Help wanted "tweaking" the new way

Teamox

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
h11-004764
Hello, we are using vcds for a few years now. This is the first time we would "tweak" a relatively new car (audi a3 8v)
This uses a other method than the long coding helper way that we alway used. this is new for us.
It seems (correct me if i am wrong) that we dont have the correct label file for this car?

I have used the drop down menu and used the security codes like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdOB49wURxw
the drop down menu looks like in the video, how can i make it look like this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG1ekQs_9h0

Is this because i dont have a correct label file?
Do i need a specific label file for each different car?
where can i get label file's without asking u guys, i searched for it on this forum din't find many.

Thanx

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
It seems (correct me if i am wrong) that we dont have the correct label file for this car?
Without knowing what car you have it's impossible to answer that question!!!

Please post an Auto-Scan so we can see what car you have and how it's configured.

Teamox

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
h11-004764
that car already left the shop, i wil do a auto-scan with another a3 8v later this week. thnx

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
that car already left the shop, i wil do a auto-scan with another a3 8v later this week. thnx
I hate to give you this news, but not all 8V chassis cars are created equal. ;)

Available tweaks vary based model year and equipment.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
This is the first time we would "tweak" a relatively new car (audi a3 8v)
Isn't an A3 8V actually pretty "old" and still uses a mixture of (long) coding and adaptation channels for tweaks?

Even my long gone 1999 S3 8L used but coding (short) and adaptation changes IIRC.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Isn't an A3 8V actually pretty "old" and still uses a mixture of (long) coding and adaptation channels for tweaks?
Depends on the exact vintage of the car. The 8V has been around since 2013 and is an "MQB" car, but like all the other MQBs, it got updated/revised systems in it at roughly 2017, where all the BCM "coding" moved to adaptation.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hello, we are using vcds for a few years now. This is the first time we would "tweak" a relatively new car (audi a3 8v)
This uses a other method than the long coding helper way that we alway used. this is new for us.

I have used the drop down menu and used the security codes like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdOB49wURxw
the drop down menu looks like in the video, how can i make it look like this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG1ekQs_9h0

Is this because i dont have a correct label file?
Do i need a specific label file for each different car?
where can i get label file's without asking u guys, i searched for it on this forum din't find many.

Thanx

Teamox: Because you refer to "a relatively new car (audi a3 8v)" - I assume that the vehicle in question has a MQB build platform (as Uwe has said). So, the instructions in both videos are applicable, albeit the 2nd video uses the now outdated "parentheses numbers" - which have been replaced by what Ross-Tech calls "Tags".

Not sure if this is the cause of your confusion - but I suspect that there is no way of retro-grading the software back to parentheses numbered channels because even if you loaded out-of-date software, I doubt that it would be compatible with the protocols in the vehicle's newer modules (but I'm guessing because there ain't no auto-scan)

But there really isn't a big change for users in the newer nomenclature. All that Ross-Tech did was to replace the parentheses numbers with "Tags". The rest of the channel name was unaltered (I think - at least this appears to be the only change).

And, the other great change that Ross-Tech made about the same time was the addition of the nifty, all-singing, all-dancing search box. You can see the effect of the search box in the 2 x videos: in the 2nd video, the guy has to pull-down the giant list of adaptation channels in the BCM from the older software to find the correct channel - whereas in the 1st video, a simple entry into the search box and bingo - the correct channels appear! This is a very useful facility and you don't need to enter full channel name into the search box to succeed: only the Tag numbers are needed!! So the new Tags are mighty powerful little beasts!!

Finally, I've actually implemented the tweak in your first video on my MY18 A3 8V and it works - but I used instructions that I developed for my Golf mk7 (also MQB) for the tweak. IMO, the pivotal omission in the 1st video is that it assumes that the car has a anti-theft siren (this is not stated in the video), If the siren isn't installed and the acknowledgement signal needs to use the car horn, the following additional change needs to be made

IDE02269-ENG116670-Acknowledgement signals-Akustische Rueckmeldung Signalhorn > active

Don

Last edited:
Back