Ozz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=369907
Hi folks,

Old VAG-COM user, new VCDS user here ... but VCDS/HEX-V2 is not working as intended.

I have a MY18 VW Passat 140TDI Alltrack and the latest HEX-V2 interface with VCDS 19.6.1. I'm running VCDS on a Windows 10 laptop (HP) from a standard USB port.

I've successfully completed a firmware update (which was required as soon as I first connected - this was two days ago - everything is as up to date as it could possibly be) so there don't appear to be any issues talking to the HEX-V2 interface from the laptop/VCDS. But, I can't seem to talk to the car.

When I perform the Options > Test operation, I get "Interface: Found!" alright, but I also get "Status: Questionable" with no power for K1/K2, CAN stuck in testing and no battery voltage(s).

The LEDs stay blue in colour when trying to communicate with the car (but they did flash green and briefly yellow during the firmware update).

I noticed that the plug is very hard to insert into the diagnostic port, and very easy to knock out ... On my old Audi with a third-party interface (and old VAG-COM 409.1-S software) I don't recall ever having a problem "plugging in" although the fit was never perfect. Could it be as simple as the new HEX-V2 plug not fitting well enough to make good pin connection? I'm pushing the thing in as hard as I dare.

See attached screenshots for supporting information.

So, where to from here? Any advice will be appreciated.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Looks like you have no power at all getting from the car to the HEX-V2.

Check pin 16 of the socket in the car with a meter. It should have unswitched +12:

DLC.png

So the problem could be something as simple as a blown fuse; whichever fuse supplies power there. In some cars, it's the same fuse that supplies power to the cigarette lighter (or power socket, if you wish to be politically correct).

Also, it couldn't hurt to post a picture of your diagnostic socket. On some RHD cars, the mounting of these appears to be very much an afterthought on VAG's part, and in some cases, minor modifications to the trim at the diagnostic socket is called for.

-Uwe-

Reactions: Ozz

Ozz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=369907
Also, it couldn't hurt to post a picture of your diagnostic socket. On some RHD cars, the mounting of these appears to be very much an afterthought on VAG's part, and in some cases, minor modifications to the trim at the diagnostic socket is called for.

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll check the pin voltages and fuses shortly.

Here's a shot of the diagnostic port. It does look more recessed than LHD vehicles (well, via pictures I've seen on the internet).

Edit:

Voltage is good (pin 4-to-16 = 12.32V, engine off) so looks like no blown fuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OK, the trim around that one doesn't seem particularly tight-fitting. But check anyway whether that trim around it is interfering with the HEX-V2 getting fully inserted into the diagnostic socket.

Also: Plug your HEX-V2 into this (but not a computer). Do the LEDs on the HEX-V2 come on at all?

Next, plug your HEX-V2 into some other car. It doesn't have to be a VW-Audi product. Again, no computer. Do the LEDs come on at all?

-Uwe-

Reactions: Ozz

Ozz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=369907
OK, so it looks like the HEX-V2 doesn't fully engage with the socket. There's something stopping it from getting all the way in in my Passat Alltrack.

I plugged into a neighbour's Audi and the HEX-V2 fitted no problems - Green flashing LEDs at first then lit solid yellow with periodic "blink". When I plug into my Passat Alltrack, and push really hard, I get the same LED behaviour. However, as soon as I take my hand away, or stop pushing really hard, the LEDs go out.

I still have my old generic OBD-II serial cable I was using with VAG-COM 409.1, so I tried that: It fitted and stayed in with solid lit LED (that particular LED was only ever blue in colour), though I did have to push a little harder than in my old Audi.

Below are some shots of the HEX-V2 plug (two photos on left with gold pins) and the old generic OBD-II cable (two photos on right with fewer, silver pins):

It seems that some plug or socket surgery is required, but I'm not sure which.

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Have you checked if the car OBD connector is locked correct in car latch ?
Try and push from the opposite side, if possible.

Ozz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=369907
I checked the socket - it's held quite solidly in place and doesn't recess further when pushed. Good call, though, as in my old Audi I used to have to hook my fingers around and hold the socket in place from the other side as it used to wiggle out of it's holder sometimes.

An OBD-II extension cable sound like a cheap solution ... and I can hack that as much as I like without damaging either the socket or HEX-V2. I'll give that a go.

Thanks for the great advice in this thread.

Reactions: Uwe

Ozz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=369907
The OBD-II extension cable arrived and it fits well. The HEX-V2 and VCDS worked just fine. Problem solved.

Thanks again everyone for the good advice.

hoda1922

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
O?ID=360593
The OBD-II extension cable arrived and it fits well. The HEX-V2 and VCDS worked just fine. Problem solved.

Thanks again everyone for the good advice.

Hi could you please share the link of the product you bought ? i have the same issue .. thanks

Back