They say"There are no stupid questions" but...

TMC2015

Reaction score
Doing what I can within my means...

I recently purchased a used Passat and want to program a keyfob....after reading through the various vw forums I have downloaded VCDS Lite, purchased a third party cable, disconnected my aftermarket radio and fired everything up, have gotten communications by changing the comm port to Comm Port One and changed the Latency to # 2....

My question is...Can I now program the Keyfob following the directions ?
I ask because it doesn't work. I feel I have followed all of the right procedures and it sill doesn't program. Maybe I missed something, pretty sure I haven't.

That is the only feature I need or want and I'm surmising that I need to purchase a licence to acquire the functionality I seek, but I'm not sure ...If I need to spend $99 then I'm back at square one as that is about what a Dealer or Locksmith will charge for programming of my keyfob.

So... is there Good news, Bad news or both ?

Any input will be greatly appreciated !

Tina Carr
'98 VW Owner

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Yes you would need to buy a licence because adaption menu isn't available with vcds-lite free.

Do i get it right, by keyfob you mean only the remote control part or whole immobiliser stuff? Or dind't NAR cars have it at that time?

Reactions: Uwe

TMC2015

Reaction score
Ack...was hoping that wasn't the answer although I had suspected as much...Yes that year doesn't have an immobilizer, so it isn't the issue.
Well thanks Golf Dude for clearing that up and ruining my day....lol j/k :)

Have a Wonderful Holiday and Thank You for the information ...on to Plan B !

Reactions: Uwe
Back