Thread: Changing directory

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Changing directory

I have recently reinstalled 19.6.1 Vcd's into my win 7 computer in drive C ,but now I have got 2 folders 1 Vcd's + 1 Ross-tech with the same info and I was wondering can I delete one off these , 2nd question similar topic can I change the directory to where my auto scan automatically get saved to as I have got another partition set up on my computer so I can redirect them there .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ch1z64 View Post
    I have recently reinstalled 19.6.1 Vcd's into my win 7 computer in drive C ,but now I have got 2 folders 1 Vcd's + 1 Ross-tech with the same info and I was wondering can I delete one off these
    The default installation location for a Release version of VCDS is:
    C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\

That's where it will go unless you change it. However, once you change it when you install one version, when you go to install again, the next run of the installer will remember where the last one went and will try to install in the same location.

If you've managed to get two installations of the same version somehow, you can certainly delete one of them, but before you do so, I'd recommend checking the Logs, Scans, and Debug sub-folder in the installation you'd like to delete and make sure there's nothing in those folders you should keep.

Quote Originally Posted by ch1z64 View Post
    2nd question similar topic can I change the directory to where my auto scan automatically get saved to as I have got another partition set up on my computer so I can redirect them there .
    No, there's no provision for that.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    No, there's no provision for that.

-Uwe-
    It would be nice to be able (in VCDS) to make..lets say...a cloud drive (such as OneDrive or Google Drive) as an automatic storage for autoscans and coding/adp logs. These are shown as local file storage essentially. Have you considered adding this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by siLc View Post
    It would be nice to be able (in VCDS) to make..lets say...a cloud drive (such as OneDrive or Google Drive) as an automatic storage for autoscans and coding/adp logs. These are shown as local file storage essentially. Have you considered adding this?
    There is no cloud; it's just someone else's computer(s).

We have lots of users who can't remember where they put stuff. Hence we prefer to have things in a know location.

Why not use a file/folder-synching program?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes NZDubNurd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    There is no cloud; it's just someone else's computer(s).

We have lots of users who can't remember where they put stuff. Hence we prefer to have things in a know location.

Why not use a file/folder-synching program?

-Uwe-
    Whatever it is - it's useful to me After making new autoscans with my laptop PC, I copy it manually to a OneDrive folder to analyze it afterwards on a much larger screen on my desktop PC.

This is a valid business concern indeed.

But at least OneDrive doesn't let you sync files outside it's singular root folder, hence my proposition.

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I run VCDS on a W10 tablet, then having completed I copy new scan and log files into a folder on my NAS drive - that way I have local copies on the tablet (for when I'm away from home) and network copies that I can view on my desktop.

As Uwe suggests you could accomplish this with a file/folder synching program.

10. Likes Uwe liked this post