Random Videos

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Right.

I have a bank of four L16 deep-cycle lead acid batteries for my home backup system, that's 8.4 kWh. The first set lasted me 9-1/2 years. Replacing those batteries costs around $1200. On a per kWh basis, that old tech costs less than half. Also, lead-acid batteries tend not to have thermal run-away problems.

I'm also not sure how the heck Elon expects not to go broke with a 10 year warranty on Li-ion battery packs. They're typically good for a few hundred to maybe a thousand cycles, and they lose capacity every year even if they're not cycled at all. Unlike lead-acid batteries, they don't like to sit around fully charged; optimal storage is more like a 40-50% SOC.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I'm also not sure how the heck Elon expects not to go broke with a 10 year warranty on Li-ion battery packs. They're typically good for a few hundred to maybe a thousand cycles, and they lose capacity every year even if they're not cycled at all.

This whole thing is about economy of scale. Mr. Musk is looking to build a "gigafactory" to mass-produce batteries for his cars, and is grasping for straws in the home market trying to create other uses for his battery factory to drive the prices down and volume up.

I wished him luck on the idea...until I saw the spec sheet and video that Santos posted. No effing weigh do I want one of those "China syndrome" meltdowns hanging on a combustible wall in *my* house. They are outdoor rated, but that's probably not the best deployment option if someone can literally steal your electricity with a few wrenches and a pickup truck.....

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404

vreihen: Video has me confused (not an uncommon state for me-alas). I thought when I first looked at the video that "easy cheese" was something that folks up there ate - but surely it's not something people actually ingest (sorry for the honesty)!! From your video, it looks more like some type of caulking compound. Which of course begs the question of why anyone would want to put it on a biscuit? What is the objective of making "easy-cheese" topped biscuits?

PS: have you though about using an equally disturbing spread like "vegemite"?

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
That was a video suggestion on YouTube that I received yesterday, not anything that I built or created. I thought that it was interesting in a "Rube Goldberg" sort of way, but generally pointless. If I was building a cheese extruder for my 3D printer, it would have a much finer nozzle and not a flexible valve like their can of cheese.

I have a friend who was born in eastern Europe, and he always said American cheese (not to be confused with Swiss cheese) is like margarine since it is made of flavored oils and not dairy products. Yes, people actually ingest that stuff, although I haven't had cheese in 2+ years for medical reasons (it caulked up my arteries really good). That particular concoction comes in an aerosol-type spray can, and is popular at parties for spraying cheese onto crackers (aka: biscuits) and otherwise healthy vegetables.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheez_Whiz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Cheese

Vegemite is an equally foreign concept on this side of the globe, and most people only know of it as a verse that makes no sense in an old "Men at Work" song (along with a fried-out kombi).....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The classic:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I'm sure that Scotty would approve of the creative use of black tarps and bricks to, um, improve the hull integrity..... :D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Nice moat!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number